PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Aherne

thing
2nd Jul 2016, 16:40
Sad. 52 is no age. I thought she was a brilliant observer of everyday life.

SpringHeeledJack
2nd Jul 2016, 17:25
Indeed….Poor lady had been suffering the travails of various cancers over the last few years, yet kept working when she recovered. Talented in her genres and as said, that's way too young to fatally succumb to illness.

anotherthing
2nd Jul 2016, 18:26
Caroline Aherne as Mrs Merton, interviewing Debbie McGee...
"And what first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

Brilliant writer and actress

RIP

charliegolf
2nd Jul 2016, 20:02
You know, I never liked her comedy. But 52, that is a sh1t hand to be dealt. RIP.

Cazalet33
3rd Jul 2016, 00:53
anotherthing,

here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj-9lSEBBm0

sitigeltfel
3rd Jul 2016, 06:29
I was never a fan of her sneering, mocking, style of "comedy". The irony is that Daniels was far from being a millionaire when McGee married him, but when Aherne had married Peter Hook the year before, her new husband certainly was.

ShyTorque
3rd Jul 2016, 10:18
Very sad to know, I always liked her.

Sadly, she was likely to have been another victim of disease brought about by smoking.

As we're both of my parents, which is why I noticed.

SpannerInTheWerks
3rd Jul 2016, 10:47
I was never a fan of her sneering, mocking, style of "comedy".

Well that discounts the majority of comedians then!

Her Debbie McGee interview is up there with Only Fools and Horses' chandelier sketch and Dell Boy falling through the bar ...

sitigeltfel
3rd Jul 2016, 12:15
Her Debbie McGee interview is up there with Only Fools and Horses' chandelier sketch and Dell Boy falling through the bar ...

No, not really. Those two sketches were a scripted mastery of self humiliation, making the characters look ridiculous at the expense of no one but themselves. Ahernes cheap jibe at McGee was simply an attack on a guest who was targetted with a lie, and with no ability for redress. That McGee took it with good grace speaks volumes about the difference between her and Aherne.

Effluent Man
3rd Jul 2016, 14:08
I never quite got the falling through the bar thing, a bit too slapstick for my taste. The chandelier scene I saw coming long before it happened. "Don't tell him Pike" was brilliant.

I guess it's just a difference in taste. I have friends who like Mrs Brown's Boys but dislike Father Ted. I thought The Royle Family was hilarious, my son's in laws are so much like them I have named them that way.

Paracab
3rd Jul 2016, 15:28
Ahernes cheap jibe at McGee was simply an attack on a guest who was targetted with a lie, and with no ability for redress. That McGee took it with good grace speaks volumes about the difference between her and Aherne.

Well, McGee has continued to take it well today by paying tribute to Aherne, saying she has happy memories of the interview and that it was the interview that made her (McGee) famous.

Effluent Man
3rd Jul 2016, 16:21
Some are, some are not. C4 ones seem to be the most false. I don't know if anyone recalls "A Place In France" where two men renovated a cottage in the Ardeche. The VoiceOver "it's mid July and Nigel must be ready for his first guests". Outside the trees were just coming into leaf.

Heliport
3rd Jul 2016, 20:30
sitigeltfelThe irony is that Daniels was far from being a millionaire when McGee married himHe may have been far from being a millionaire when he and McGee began their affair. Daniels was married with three children.

I doubt if he was far off, if at all, when he married McGee. They lived in the affluent part of Denham popular amongst showbiz people, in a country house set in 11 acres that was previously owned by 007 Roger Moore.

radeng
3rd Jul 2016, 22:06
As I had never heard of her before the announcement of her death - shows that I NEVER watch TV - I can only say that I am sorry to hear of anyone dying at such an early age.

I gather that she was apparently of some importance.

tartare
4th Jul 2016, 00:19
The Royle Family was pure genius.
Able to go from high comedy to absolute black pathos in an instant.
RIP Caroline.

cdtaylor_nats
4th Jul 2016, 08:19
The best bit about the falling through the bar scene was a few years later in Goodnight Sweetheart when Nicholas Lyndhurst is about to lean on a bar, stops and shakes his head.

Octopussy2
4th Jul 2016, 08:40
cdtaylor - thanks for that, must google it, sounds excellent.

I loved Caroline Aherne and the Royle Family - what a brutal year this has been for losing our icons.

Siti - de mortuis...

Effluent Man
4th Jul 2016, 08:53
I don't quite get this thing of having a down on people who have a different world view from oneself. I have never been a Conservative but two of my favourite writers are Max Hastings and the late Alan Clark.

AtomKraft
4th Jul 2016, 19:21
Well, she did her best and it wasn't all that bad.

About the same as the rest of us?