PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Island after July 1

nomorecatering
2nd Jul 2016, 07:19
Now that Norfolk Island is officially part of Australia, can we now launch from any airfield on the Oz mainland and land at Norfolk. Just like one would go from Moorabbin to Hobart.

p.j.m
2nd Jul 2016, 07:31
ummm, it was ALWAYS part of Australia :)

Good question re passports and immigration though, and flights from NZ vs the mainland.

witwiw
2nd Jul 2016, 10:32
ummm, it was ALWAYS part of Australia :)

Good question re passports and immigration though, and flights from NZ vs the mainland.

As an Aussie citizen, you have been always able to travel to Norfolk Island without a passport. An acceptable Document of Identity has long been sufficient. Similar to travelling to Christmas Island where I travelled using my drivers licence when my passport was damaged (dog-eared front cover and delamination around the photograph) and unacceptable to Immigration.

Warragul
4th Jul 2016, 02:32
Now that Norfolk Island is officially part of Australia, can we now launch from any airfield on the Oz mainland and land at Norfolk. Just like one would go from Moorabbin to Hobart.

Not quite, it is an overseas port for Customs purposes but domestic for Immigration. Similar to Christmas island

Arriving aircraft, air cargo, passenger and crew reporting requirements (http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/norfolk-air-arrive)

Avturbound
4th Jul 2016, 09:06
You can fly to Norfolk without having to have a customs clearance, all you need is identity either a passport or licence. Quarantine laws are still independent so you will have to have quarantine sprays and paperwork. The customs people at Norfolk may give you a clearance certificate on departure but it is not required.

nomorecatering
5th Jul 2016, 13:07
There is still no guidance as to whether yu need to depart from an international airport ie YSSY or YBBN rather than Bankstown or your own strip from example.

As a side issue, Cascade Bay, being the only protected bay, desperately needs a deep water wharf so larger cargo ships can dock and Marina. However being in open waters a large breakwater needs to be constructed. Shouldn't the defense department now be perusing this so as to rapidly deploy military assets to the island.

I was toying with the idea of floating Caissons similar to the ones used in D Day.

The island desperately needs a deep water wharf and marina.

gerry111
5th Jul 2016, 13:58
nomorecatering wrote:

"Shouldn't the defense department now be perusing this so as to rapidly deploy military assets to the island."

I reckon that the Australian Defence Forces may ordered to do so. But only if there are oil and/or gasfields found near Norfolk Island..

Warragul
6th Jul 2016, 08:04
I think the requirement is that flights (and crew/pax/cargo) to/from Australian mainland require Customs clearance (not Immigration) while flights from elsewhere require both. Meaning departure from an 'international' port from Australia

Flingwing47
21st Jul 2016, 17:09
Back in the '80s we did a weekly round trip from Brisbane to Norfolk in the F28.
As we then continued on to SYD we needed to carry our overnight kit through customs.
BNE was a customs training base - the trainees would rifle our bags very thoroughly.
On one occasion the young bloke kept eye contact while he squeezed out the toothpaste tube. The trainer smirked in the background.
Never forgot that little display of power.

thorn bird
21st Jul 2016, 19:45
"The island desperately needs a deep water wharf and marina".

Careful there Caterer, you will give the Chinese ideas. They are very good at building deep water ports in other peoples backyards, I'm sure they would love to bid for that contract.