PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of training at Aeros Flight Training, Is it good?

andythepandy
1st Jul 2016, 15:50
As the title says I am looking at doing my CPL training at Aeros flight training just down the road from me. A few months back I went to FTE Jerez to look at the school and take the aptitude tests which to my amazement I passed. Ever since then I have been trying to raise the finances through loans and working my arse off to save some money. Sadly I am struggling to get a loan due to my parents being too old and not having a good enough income

At a pilot careers day I came across a company called Aeros based in Wellesbourne which is just down the road from me. They offer almost the exact same course and qualifications at many of the other large flying school for practically half the price. This is very enticing and a much more realistic and attainable sum of money and if at the end of the day I come out with the same qualifications then what is the downside?

If anyone has ever trained at Aeros or knows what the course is like please let me know it would really help me decide whether this is the right course for me and whether the quality of training is as good as places like CTC and FTE

EC DKN
1st Jul 2016, 20:05
The quality is not good, is BETTER! If you are struggling financially go modular as you can work while you are studying ;)

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Jul 2016, 10:53
I've not trained with Aeros, but know a few of their people - nothing about them gives me cause for concern. The modular course will always be significantly cheaper.

The main loss is you don't have the linkage between the school and the airline HR departments, so you have to do all your own job hunting.

If you have the nerve, have a read through the "modular vesus integrated" thread at the top of the page.

G

magicmick
3rd Jul 2016, 10:27
Aeros are excellent, the standard of training and support there are up with any school either modular or integrated, however as already mentioned they do not have direct links to airline HR staff. They are recognised by Flybe but Flybe pilot recruitment is currently run by CTC and the first officer recruitment portal is currently closed. Of course Ryanair do accept modular candidates and other airlines will accept modular but some want 500 hours plus with preference given to instructors.

Given the current employment situation and how that situation might change post Brexit then my advice would be to go integrated if you can possibly manage it and ideally get into CTC as they seem to have the best employment links.

This is advice coming from someone who trained modular with Aeros, if you absolutely have to go modular then you cannot do much better than Aeros.

andythepandy
3rd Jul 2016, 20:46
Thanks for the advice people. I am happy to hear that Aeros has a very high reputation for such a small school and that is exactly what i wanted to hear. I personally would love to go through the integrated route but when I draw up a list of pros and cons doing the fast track cpl course at Aeros just seems like the best option.

The main issue is the money like many people. The issue I have mainly is securing the loan and finding two guarantors who aren't too old and have a good income to secure it, which for me is hard very difficult.

I didn't know for sure but I had a feeling that they wouldn't have as many ties to the big airlines but I don't have a problem doing all my own legwork and running around to get interviews etc. I've had to do that in the past and if it just means some extra effort then I am happy to do it.

In terms of the hours luckily when I was younger I totted up 70 hours which is a big help but if it comes to hours building I am quite happy to travel to a country like Spain and spend a few weeks just flying.

Also if I had all the money to do it now and passed everything first time etc. How long would the course take? Could I theoretically complete it in the same time as the integrated course?

ryanjet
7th Jul 2016, 13:04
I've just had a quick look at Aeros. I was looking at their website and was wondering the exact same as you. So thanks for saving me a job of asking the question ��

Now I'm a little sceptical with sales techniques, but it does say on the website that 100% of their students have gained employment. This of course was a real eye brow raiser, not to mention an all in price. I'm really pleased to see such positive responses on here.

I'm in a similar position to you, but I'm on my way back school to brush up on the GCSE/ A-Levels first.

Do you have PPL?

magicmick
8th Jul 2016, 10:41
I trained at Aeros and am not in flying employment, neither is the guy who did their IR with me so take employment stats with a huge pinch (sack full) of salt. However they are approved by Flybe (not sure what that means now CTC handle Flybe pilot recruitment) and they are a member of the Wings Alliance.

They are still an excellent modular school but they will not directly place you with an airline or help you in your job search, that's all down to you.

Please don't go there if you're expecting rose petals to be scattered at your feet as you glide directly into an airline job after completing training.

EC DKN
8th Jul 2016, 14:14
If you are struggling financially go modular. I dont see any advantage going integrated apart from CTC + Easyjet and huge debt ahead. Be aware that you will need to get a FI rating to keep flying and climbing your ladder, but do it if you want to be an instructor!

Don't be in a rush and one day you will get there.

andythepandy
10th Jul 2016, 14:39
RyanJet I'm glad I could help :)
Yes I think they have taken a bit of a liberty with their stats but to be honest I don't really listen to that or take much note of it. I've worked in many sales jobs before so I know how to spot the patter
No I do not but if I decide to train with them ,which is very likely, I will do a PPL first which should help me get back in the swing of things nicely. Plus it's slightly more motivational to go straight into flying as opposed to 6 months of ground school first!

Yes that does seem to be the main downside to training with them however I've always been good at networking and I'm very tenacious so something like that shouldn't stand in my way. Also the fact I will have saved almost £40k will fell pretty good haha.

To be honest I have never really thought of going modular and I always assumed the big schools like FTE were the ones to go to. After all they have all the facilities, connections and experience to get you that qualification and degree. But since getting denied a loan and now actually doing some research into modular and seriously looking at going down that route it looks like the best option

Martin_123
12th Jul 2016, 14:38
how much do Aeros quote for a standard CPL/ME/IR?

andythepandy
13th Jul 2016, 15:24
For the Full Monty its around £55k for the fast track course its £59

Martin_123
14th Jul 2016, 21:17
is that an integrated course? what I was asking about was for someone who already has 150h on the belt, PPL+NR, fATPL..I expect a figure around 25-30 grand?

andythepandy
25th Jul 2016, 08:58
Ahh ok yes I'm sure if someone is already at that stage then it will be a hell of a lot less but if you start from nothing then it will be around 60k

JonH690
27th Jul 2016, 11:56
If it helps, I'm embarking on the CPL at Aero's Wellesbourne once my ground school is out the way and done with. Gained my PPL/Night rating and IR(R)

Couldn't think of a better foundation and know quite a few who have gained employment to Flybe or Ryanair this way.

Feel free to get in touch and have a cuppa to discuss more or even a flight.

Jon

andythepandy
21st Aug 2016, 10:58
Its great to hear so many good things about Aeros, I get the impression they're the one to train with!

I Jon thats fantastic when do you think that will be?

I've actually started working at Aeros in Wellesbourne so very soon I'll be flying there too.

Definitely make sure you come in and have a brew, I usually work Thursdays and Fridays

Andy

MaverickPrime
21st Aug 2016, 15:11
andythepandy, FTE Jerez also offer the modular route. You can do just the CPL/MEIR or you can do what they call the Flight Deck Plus course which is the CPL/MEIR + MCC/JOC. Good thing with Jerez is everything is onsite and accommodation is included. Having had to pay for hotels etc in England to do my ATPLs, cost of living is scary expensive in England!

You may or may not have looked at the modular route through Jerez, but if you really want to go to Jerez this might be the way for you to do it. Modular students on the Flight Deck Plus course also get access to FTEs 'career service' just like their integrated students, so you will still benefit from FTEs connections.

JonH690
23rd Aug 2016, 09:46
Its great to hear so many good things about Aeros, I get the impression they're the one to train with!

I Jon thats fantastic when do you think that will be?

I've actually started working at Aeros in Wellesbourne so very soon I'll be flying there too.

Definitely make sure you come in and have a brew, I usually work Thursdays and Fridays

Andy

Hi Andy, that's great to hear! I'll pop in soon but I'm usually in on Friday afternoons or Saturdays.

Hoping to have completed ground school by the middle of next year. Building the hours up too which keeps me sane.