PDA

View Full Version : excel document

honpon379
1st Jul 2016, 10:59
Couple days ago I opened my saved excel 2013 file and it showed me a message: Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. I checked backup copy, but I didn’t find it. I tried to apply Open and Repair, but it didn’t help. Tell me what to do?

aerobelly
2nd Jul 2016, 20:31
Couple days ago I opened my saved excel 2013 file and it showed me a message: Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. I checked backup copy, but I didn’t find it. I tried to apply Open and Repair, but it didn’t help. Tell me what to do?

Is it .xls or .xlsx -- the later is easier to troubleshoot in principle. If it's not sensitive you could PM me a copy, I have a couple of non-Microsoft programs that might be able to read it, and if it's .xlsx I have more tools for that.

Here's another thought though, did you have lots of programs running or lots of windows open in a web browser? The machine may have been out of memory and unable to allocate enough for Excel to run.

'a

tow1709
3rd Jul 2016, 06:59
It may be a bit more serious than Aerobelly's suggestion. I had the same issue with both Excel and Word a few months ago, although PowerPoint was not affected. I think it was because something in the registry had got corrupted.

Some suggested solutions said I could start up Microsoft Office in its safe mode, and go from there. That wouldn't work for me and I ended up going into the registry and doing some edits to solve it - having backed it up first if course. On rebooting, the registry rebuilt itself and it was worked OK ever since.

Try doing a search for the exact error message you are getting, and you will find lots of others who have had the same problem. Lots of suggestions what to do, but not everyone was able to solve it the same way. Try all the other ones first before editing the registry!

Also can you copy the xls file to another known good pc and try opening it from there - just to eliminate the possibility of the Excel file itself being faulty? Can you open up other Excels and Word docs successfully?

Good luck.