PDA

View Full Version : RAF Fighter Command VHF/DF Fixer Net Early 1950's

Warmtoast
30th Jun 2016, 08:54
RAF Fighter Command VHF/DF Fixer Net Early 1950's
Kelvedon Hatch & Silverstead Fixer

Background
I originally wrote this piece for a researcher researching R.A.F. signals activities in the 1950’s. It records my impressions of life as a RT VHF/DF operator working in one of the Sector Operations Centre’s (Metropolitan Sector in my case) “VHF/DF Fixer Nets”. I was seconded to work at a “fixer” station near Biggin Hill. Between late 1953 and May 1955 I was in charge of this fixer (Silverstead VHF/DF Fixer) high on the North Downs five miles south of Biggin Hill. This was an element of Fighter Command’s Metropolitan Sector Operations Centre (MSOC) Fixer Network that plotted by VHF/DF triangulation the position of RAF and USAF jet fighters over Southern England.

R.A.F. Fighter Command VHF/DF Fixer Stations 1951 - 1955
According to papers in The National Archives at Kew (AIR10/7407 and SD747) in 1955 there were 67 VHF/DF Fixer stations in the UK established by the Royal Air Force, 44 in England, 15 in Scotland, 8 in Wales, plus IoM and Scillies.
These fixers were built around 1951 as part of the Rotor programme to modernise the United Kingdom’s radar defences. These stations operated under the command of a Sector Controller and provided directional finding equipment, enabling fighter aircraft crews to receive positional data by transmitting a voice (R/T) signal.
SD747 states: “In general these occupy from one-eighth to one-quarter of an acre of land. Fixers are fitted in wooden towers. The aerial system, type 61A, is fitted within the roof of the tower and no masts or aerials are external to the building. Equipment consists of two Receivers, R1392D, fed from O.E.S. (outside electrical supply) or camp supply. Standby power is obtained from 12-volt accumulators”. However, in the case of Silverstead Fixer, the station was “a wooden D/F tower located in a brick octagonal blast wall with a generator building a short distance away”, but it didn’t have a concealed aerial structure.
By February 1958 only 14 fixers remained as modern automatic DF Fixing was introduced and a couple of years later all were closed down.

ROTOR Programme Sector Operations Centres (Early 1950’s)
To control the overall air situation the United Kingdom, the UK established six Sector Operations Centres (SOC). These sites had no radar equipment, relying on information supplied from Radar stations, both in their sector and others. Four purpose-built SOCs were located at Barnton Quarry (Scottish); Skipton, (Northern); Bawburgh, (Eastern), and Kelvedon Hatch, (Metropolitan), whilst sites at Box, (Southern) and Longley Lane, (Western) reused existing structures. The new-build bunkers were designated R4 within the Rotor design framework. Central to the SOC was a three-storey operations room surrounded by segregated watch cabins, all with a view of a general map and tote board. On these a picture of the general situation and operational readiness of fighter squadrons would be displayed, aiding senior staff co-ordinating any response to an enemy incursion.

Arrival — 1953
In October 1953 I arrived home from my first overseas tour at 5 FTS, R.A.F. Thornhill, S. Rhodesia where I’d spent the past two-years as a VHF/DF operator.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Posting%20Notice%201_zpsjhzwmoel.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Posting%20Notice%202_zpsyljvwjsj.jpg
From my Service Record
During my disembarkation leave I received a letter together with a rail warrant telling me my next posting was to be at “MSOC” and that I was to report to R.A.F. North Weald. Living in central London getting to North Weald was relatively easy: Central Line underground line to Epping, change there to the Central Line extension towards Ongar and get off at “North Weald Bassett”. This station was about 500-yards walk to the main guardroom. Reporting in at North Weald I was told North Weald would only cater for my accommodation and messing, I’d actually be working at MSOC Kelvedon Hatch. Totally mystified, because I’d never heard of the acronym MSOC or its location “Kelvedon Hatch”, I was allocated a bed in one of North Weald’s accommodation blocks and told to catch early the next morning one of the two R.A.F. buses that ran from North Weald with watch-keepers for MSOC Kelvedon Hatch, which I duly did.
After about a 10-12-mile journey the bus pulled up outside a chalet bungalow in Kelvedon Hatch where we all alighted, what was so odd was the incongruous sight of a couple of coaches from North Weald driving down a country lane at Kelvedon Hatch and disgorging sixty or so bods into a small chalet bungalow. What most people didn’t know was that the bungalow was just the entrance and guardroom to the MSOC bunker. Once past the guards a door led to a tunnel. The tunnel was the only way into the centre and was about 100 yards long. It led downwards and at the end of the tunnel one passed through a set of blast doors that gave access to the operations room and offices of this three-story bunker built deep in the Essex countryside.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Kelvedon%20Hatch%203_zps3sli3dke.jpg

It was built in 1952 as the Sector Operations Centre for the Metropolitan Sector of RAF Fighter Command. Its construction involved the digging of a very deep hole; the three-story concrete bunker was built in the hole and when finished the removed soil was replaced on top so that the bunker was literally buried under 75-feet of Essex countryside. The whole process involved the removal and replacement of 40,000 tons of earth. It came with its own borehole (for water), generators and filtered air conditioning and supposedly would protect against a near miss by a 20 kT nuclear weapon.
Kelvedon Hatch later became the United Kingdom Nuclear Warning and Monitoring Organisation’s Metropolitan Sector HQ and later still became the regional Home Office bunker for London, known first as a Sub-Regional Control (1967), and subsequently as a Sub-Regional Headquarters (1973) and Regional Government Headquarters (1985).
In 1993 the bunker was sold to the farmer who owns the farm where it is located. He has opened it to the public as a cold war museum and tourist attraction. Details here: RGHQ 5.1 | Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker (http://www.secretnuclearbunker.com/)

MSOC — Kelvedon Hatch - Photos

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Fixer%20Plotting%20Table_zpslavuglzt.jpg
Fixer Plotting Table at the then Sector Operations Centre for SE England and the London area taken around 1950 – 1952 showing the fighter plotters, as I think they were called, about to “fix” an aircraft. Photo is not mine and was copied (photographed) by me from a magazine (Air Clues?) at around that time.
The photo clearly shows the four “fixers” marked on the fixer plotting table. From the bottom clockwise:
1. Pett Fixer high on the cliffs near Hastings
2. Silverstead near Biggin Hill where I worked
3. The one at the top right near the coast is Wix between Colchester and Harwich and finally
4. Monkton Fixer near R.A.F. Manston adjacent to the North Foreland.
Not visible is the site of the Whittlesford fixer near RAF Duxford in Cambridgeshire

The procedure was for an aircraft wanting to know its position to transmit by RT “‘WARMTOAST’ (the Sector Ops callsign) ‘Ivan 23’ (aircraft squadron callsign and aircraft number) ‘Request Fix”. Whilst the aircraft was transmitting the five fixer stations would swing their DF aerials, take a bearing on the transmission and pass the bearings obtained down the landline to the operators at the Sector Ops Fixer table. They in turn would pull out the cords from the fixer compass roses on the table in front of them aligning the cords with the bearing provided by the fixer. Where the cords intersected showed the position of the aircraft. The Fighter Controller watching this from the gallery would pass by radio to the aircraft the aircraft’s position either by grid reference or as a bearing and distance to a familiar reference point e.g. an airfield or town. They whole process would probably take no more than 30-seconds from the initial call by the aircraft asking for a fix to the aircraft being given a location.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Main%20Plotting%20Table%204_zpsg9gte0cp.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Main%20Plotting%20Table%205_zps59efy0et.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Main%20Plotting%20Table%206_zpsjy1egpjz.jpg

These photos pre-date my time at Silverstead and the inauguration around 1952 of the new Metropolitan Sector Operation Centre [MSOC] at Kelvedon Hatch near Ongar in Essex. MSOC had a more modern fixer plotting table than that shown in the photo. For the time I was in charge of the fixer at Silverstead i.e. between late 1953 and early 1956, there were five Fixers in our net:
1. Silverstead near Biggin Hill in Kent
2. Pett on the cliffs near Hastings
3. Monkton near RAF Manston in Kent
4. Whittlesford near RAF Duxford in Cambridgeshire
5. Wix fixer between Colchester and Harwich in Essex.
Not shown in the photo of the plotting table are the fixers in the “high” fixer net, “high” because they operated on two different VHF frequencies, 135.18 or 153.9 MHz, whereas the net I operated on was the “low” fixer net operating on a much lower VHF frequency of 112.86 MHz.
I suspect that VHF/DF fixer plotting pre 1952 was done at a Radar Station rather than at a sector operations centre as happened when the purpose-built sector operations centres were constructed.
I regret the quality is not too good, but the original negatives were lost in a 1970’s house move and I can only work from not particularly sharp small photos from my photo album.

"Pigeons to Point Able"
Another use of the Sector VHF/DF fixer service was to aid the recovery of aircraft to their home airfields. In the case of Biggin Hill-based aircraft the procedure was for the aircraft to call WARMTOAST as before, but this time the message would be to ask for “Pigeons to Point Able”. ‘Pigeons’ being the RT code for a course to steer to a location, and “Point Able” (for the MSOC controllers) being Chelmsford in Essex. Chelmsford was about 33-miles from Biggin and almost on an extended centre-line from Biggin Hill’s main runway. Having requested “Pigeons to Point Able” and received a fix from the VHF/DF “Fixers”, the MSOC controller would give the aircraft a course to steer to Chelmsford at the same time asking it to descend to 20,000 feet. A couple more fixes and steers to get the aircraft to Chelmsford and when overhead Chelmsford at 20,000 feet the aircraft would be instructed to steer a course to Biggin Hill and change frequency to the Biggin Hill Approach frequency to be guided down to a visual or Ground Controlled Approach (GCA) approach to the airfield.

Silverstead Fixer
Located five miles south of Biggin Hill off Grays Road in Silverstead Lane on the downs north of Westerham the Silverstead VHF/DF fixer was one of eight ‘fixers’ in two different nets used by the MSOC (Metropolitan Sector Operations Centre) of Fighter Command covering London and the South East of the UK.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Field%20it%20was%20in%20-%20with%20arrows%20-%20Annotated_zpsq4fgrb8c.jpg
Where it was - with modern photo from Google Earth

Watch work was the norm. Day one was 08.30-13.00 and 18.00-22.30. Day two 13.00-18.00 and 22.30 to 08.30 next day. Depending on Fighter Command’s night flying program we were often stood-down early on the 18.00-22.30 watch and except when major exercises were flown, working after midnight on the final watch was most unusual. With four VHF/DF Operators on strength, at the conclusion of the final watch we then had two days off; with three operators we had only one day off before we started the watches all over again. Being accommodated and messed at R.A.F. Biggin Hill we had to fit in with Biggin Hill’s timetable for meals etc. Biggin Hill had one ‘regular’ squadron (41 Sqn) and two auxiliary squadrons Nos. 600 (City of London) and 615 (County of Surrey). The presence of two auxiliary squadrons meant that Biggin Hill normally flew from Wednesday to Sunday with Mondays and Tuesdays being days off in lieu of the weekend.
Working in the evenings had its benefits as we were entitled to “night flying rations”. These we collected from the cookhouse each evening before the early evening watch. The ration box invariably contained bread, eggs, bacon, butter, fruit and milk. Anything left over was used by the morning watch keepers.
Being “attached” had its benefits: No attendance at Station Parades, no station duties (orderly this, that or the other), in addition one was allowed to stay in bed as long as one liked pleading that one had come of night duty at Silverstead Fixer. Most ground staff knew we “fixers” were slightly “strange”, and if pushed we would claim that one needed a special security clearance to be told what we did. – and it worked!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Silverstead%20Fixer%20-%20View%20of%20the%20N%20Downs_zpstw34xjye.jpg
Silverstead Fixer - View of the N Downs
Silverstead Fixer was located on an outstandingly scenic site high on the North Downs adjacent to the Pilgrims Way; the views from here were stunning. This view looks south-west into the valley with Westerham just about visible in the distance. This 1954 view is today spoilt by the presence of the Clacket Lane Motorway Services and the M25 Motorway which now runs left to right in the valley at the bottom of the photo between junctions 5 and 6.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Silverstead%20Fixer%202_zps4lcgo2ff.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Silverstead%20Fixer_zpsi4xvaxph.jpg
Watch out - cows about!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Silversted%20amp%20North%20Downs_zpsf3jimi2h.jpg
Very faded colour transparency from my early experiments with colour photography

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Silverstead%20Fixer%20-%20On%20the%20Job%20at%20the%20Wheel_zpsoddzdgzw.jpg
Silverstead Fixer - On the Job at the Wheel
Receivers were all crystal controlled as can be seen by the bank of crystals on the left. With the callsign WARMTOAST our usual frequency was 112.86 MHz, but occasionally we were asked by control at Met Sector HQ to change to 135.18 or 153.9 MHz on the high VHF net. Switching to these higher frequencies meant climbing on to the roof and swapping over the aerial rods to match the frequency being used - not nice on a cold and frosty or wet and windy dark winter night!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/VHF-DF%20Aerial_zpsarpkensm.jpg
VHF/DF Aerial

MPN11
30th Jun 2016, 09:28
Excellent and VERY enlightening Thread. Thanks, Warmtoast ^

Danny42C
30th Jun 2016, 16:36
Warmtoast,

Congratulations on a very detailed historical account of a vital part of our early Cold War defences, about which very little was publicly known at the time and little is remembered now. And for the excellent pictures which embellish it !

I was involved (on the administrative fringe) of this world at the same time as you, as the Adjutant of an Auxiliary Fighter Control Unit (No. 3608) from late 1951 to the end of 1954. It was a fortunate ground tour for me, as the associated Auxiliary Squadron (No.608), flew Vampires, a Meteor and the station Harvard and TM, all of which I was qualified to fly. As the current policy then was to put the onus on officers on ground tours to make their own arrangements to keep in flying practice (and Squadron Commanders instructed to help them), I got in a fair amount of Vampire time.

(Your Section): Arrival — 1953

A few comments, from what I can remember:
..showing the fighter plotters, as I think they were called...
Yes, the two trades we were established to recruit and train were Fighter Plotters and Radar Operators. These must be turned out in roughly equal numbers, as in practice each Plotter (the girl at the table with the croupier's rake) is connected by landline to an Operator (who may be on a radar in the same building, or fifty miles away).

In our case, the new recruits did their basic Trade training in our mock 'Ops' Room in what had been the Ops Room in Thornaby's wartime Coastal Command days. Or rather the Plotters did, their 'oppos' were in dummy radar cabins at the back. Naturally, in most cases an affinity grew up between the two, some lifelong friendships resulted. We always tried to keep a 'pair' together. When they were considered sufficiently skilled, they got their Special Security Clearances and went off on Sunday mornings on our Stockton Corporation double-decker to spend all day at RAF Seaton Snook some miles up the coast, and there 'down the hole'.

I don't think we ever sent more than twenty pairs out, the rest of the bus load being our half-dozen trainee Auxiliary Figher Control Officers (all wartime pilots and navs, most decorated), plus our (Auxiiary) C.O., Wing Commander David Brown, DSO (ex AG) - and you don't see that every day of the week !, plus on or two radar or radio mechs.

You will have noted that many of the girls in your pics are Auxiliaries (the little "A" under the shoulder eagle), and the one in No.4 is clearly giving the others the hard word !

I was excluded from that world because, being admin only, I had No Need to Know, and would be turned away (as would the Thornaby Station Commander for that matter). But I had a regular Tech/Radar officer (we were the only two RAF officers). Little did I know that Bob Schroder would be my Best Man in 1955 !

Danny.

Mandator
30th Jun 2016, 17:26
Pics of it in its current state can be found here:

https://www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/essex-other-sites/6889-kelvedon-hatch

CoffmanStarter
30th Jun 2016, 18:38
What a fantastic article Warmtoast ... I knew Monkton very well in my youth :ok:

MPN11
30th Jun 2016, 18:47
Mandator ... sadly the link shows "Hidden for Guests", and I really don't need another log-in to remember! ;)

Anyway ... you could guess that Danny42C had been there and done that as well :)

MPN11
30th Jun 2016, 18:50
Photo #4 ... "Where shall I put it, Alice?"
Photo #5 ... "There, Joan, it makes a pretty pattern."

Who would know that, one day, Joan would become an Aunt ... :)

Warmtoast
1st Jul 2016, 11:41
RAF Fighter Command VHF/DF Fixers - Early 1950's

This is as full a listing as I could find

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Fixer%20List%201a_zpsf6gktog6.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Fixer%20List%202a_zps0x8eq5s0.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Silverstead%20Fixer/Fixer%20List%203A_zpsmnzkyrje.jpg

Danny42C
1st Jul 2016, 12:14
MPN11 (#6)
...Anyway ... you could guess that Danny42C had been there and done that as well...
I resemble that remark !

Danny.

MPN11
1st Jul 2016, 12:34
It's your fault, Danny, for having had such a fascinatingly varied career!

CoffmanStarter
1st Jul 2016, 12:59
Warmtoast ...

A question if I may. I'm not familiar with the R1392D equipment you mention, so when turning the vertical quad dipole aerial array ... did you use a visual 'Magic Eye' type indicator or an audio null/max signal/noise output to plot the Fix QDR for your station ?

Thanks ...

Coff.

Danny42C
1st Jul 2016, 12:59
MPN11,

Like the man said: "We each fought the war we'd been given" - and that ran over into the Cold War, too ! I drew a good hand, I suppose.

Danny.

MPN11
1st Jul 2016, 17:10
Danny42C, a good hand in trumps indeed, and played well. I think I can speak for everyone here by saying you had a fascinating, hazardous and constructive career in the RAF, and achieved much of great value to every generation you served in/with.

Of course, if you had done Area Radar as well, it would have been a Grand Slam in Spades :) :)

Danny42C
1st Jul 2016, 18:40
MPN11,
...Of course, if you had done Area Radar as well, it would have been a Grand Slam in Spades...
I have many failings, but masochism is not one of them !

Danny.

This Correspondence must now cease. := (The Editor).:D:D:D

MPN11
1st Jul 2016, 18:49
hahahaha ... no way will I let you off shirking that duty, Sir :D

Danny42C
1st Jul 2016, 18:56
Well, it was worth a try ! Let's call it a Stalemate - Honours Even ?

MPN11
1st Jul 2016, 19:46
Well, it was worth a try ! Let's call it a Stalemate - Honours Even ?
Absolutely, although you clearly win by 3 furlongs. I was a one-trick pony ... you did so much, you multi-talented old bu66er :D

:ok:

MPN11
1st Jul 2016, 19:47
Warmtoast ... so that was your callsign, and thus your user-name here? How nice!

ValMORNA
1st Jul 2016, 19:55
We used to show an official film to students at 4 FTS RAF Middleton St George in the mid 50's which depicted a Vampire with a problem being assisted to a safe landing. (Cue: applause all round.) I expect it is available somewhere on the internet.

Warmtoast
1st Jul 2016, 21:06
CoffmanStarter

A question if I may. I'm not familiar with the R1392D equipment you mention, so when turning the vertical quad dipole aerial array ... did you use a visual 'Magic Eye' type indicator or an audio null/max signal/noise output to plot the Fix QDR for your station ?

No magic eye, aural effects do it all. To take a bearing rotate the aerial until there is a 'null' in the signal, continue 10-degrees or so past the 'null' and depress the 'sense wheel'. If the audio rises you are 180-degrees out so continue rotating another 180-degrees until one finds the reciprocal 'null'. Again go off 10-degrees from this 'null', depress the sense wheel and if the audio goes down one has the right direction, go back 10-degrees to the 'null' and read off the bearing marked on the wheel and pass it on the always open landline to the controller at Kelvedon Hatch.

WT

Warmtoast
1st Jul 2016, 21:19
ValMORNA
which depicted a Vampire with a problem being assisted to a safe landing. (Cue: applause all round.) I expect it is available somewhere on the internet.

Was it perhaps a QGH (Controlled Descent Through Cloud), if so I posted a description of the procedure here:
http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/329990-gaining-r-f-pilots-brevet-ww-ii-229.html#post8170504 (Post #4578)

...and for CoffmannStarter's info there is a photo of crystal controlled R1392 VHF receivers in the link.

WT

Danny42C
1st Jul 2016, 22:15
Warmtoast,

Yours was on Pilot's Brevet" at p.229/4578. Now imagine you have four on your plate at once. "One-armed paper-hanger" doesn't come near it !

The CR/DF (and the later CA/DF) came in to the Approach Room, and you were out of business for all practical purposes. Ingenious lads put the spare time to good use, one chap at Valley made lead soldiers ! (my tale somewhere on that Thread).

BEagle takes up the story two Posts later (#4580 - "Here's the CRDF chart for RAF Valley in 1954:") Now a Controller worth his salt could manage four-in-hand, provided that the pilots did exactly what they were told when they were told. Much less if some sadist added a problem such as "No Compass", "No Compass, No Gyro", "Speechless", "Double flame Out" or any combination of the above.... We earned our dosh and came off watch like wet rags !

But it was a good life !

Danny.

CoffmanStarter
2nd Jul 2016, 06:53
Many thanks Warmtoast ... Fascinating :ok:

Warmtoast
2nd Jul 2016, 09:12
Danny

The CR/DF (and the later CA/DF) came in to the Approach Room, and you were out of business for all practical purposes

Not immediately, as from Biggin/Kelvedon Hatch I went on to Bovingdon, from there to the Far East for two years and on return from the Far East to Abingdon. It was here in 1959 that I was approached by RAF Abingdon's Personnel Department and asked whether I had thought of remustering as an AQM (Loadmaster). Bristol Britannias were about to enter service and Transport Command were actively seeking possible AQMs and with Abingdon being a Transport Command station, personnel working there had prior knowledge of the recruitment drive, so my name was forwarded to Transport Command HQ at Upavon and a few days later I was asked to attend HQ TC's selection board at Upavon which I did and was selected.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Abingdon/1PTSAbingdon2.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Abingdon/1PTSAbingdon1a.jpg

In June 1959 I started my AQM parachute and dispatcher training at 1 PTS, Abingdon (photos above) and later was posted to 242 OCU Dishforth for flight training. In August 1959 I qualified as an AQM and was posted to 99 Sqn at RAF Lyneham. I flew with 99 until I left the RAF in late 1963 - happy times indeed!

WT

Danny42C
3rd Jul 2016, 17:00
Warmtoast (#24),
... In August 1959 I qualified as an AQM and was posted to 99 Sqn at RAF Lyneham. I flew with 99 until I left the RAF in late 1963 - happy times indeed!...
I'm seeing you in a new light ! And you'll take your trusty Rolleiflex and your photographic skills aboard with you, I'll be bound. Looking forward to more treats ASAP !

Small voice: why would an AQM need to be a parachutist ? Never attracted me - the flames would need to be licking my toes before I hopped out of a perfectly good aeroplane. Your pics made me feel quite faint ! ("Back to the wind, shoulders round, feet together, watch the ground", that was the mantra, wasn't it ?) Not this child.

(Once, in my cups, volunteered (at RAF Rawalpindi - Parachute School - Next morning, sober, weaselled out of it !)

Danny.

ancientaviator62
4th Jul 2016, 07:15
Danny,
an AQM/ALM had to do a parachuting course as the army insisted that only those who had jumped could despatch paras. You needed to have experienced the terror to understand those who did it for a living. This requirement is no longer part of the ALM course . Wamtoast's pics are a vivid reminder of when I did my AQM para course.
The tower jumps were bad but the eerie silence of the balloon was something else !

Danny42C
4th Jul 2016, 08:27
ancientaviator62,
...You needed to have experienced the terror to understand those who did it for a living...
The case in a nutshell for Air Traffic Controllers to have flying experience.

Couldn't have put it better myself ! (in my time, the MCA, as part of the Controller's Course, trained their Cadets up to PPL standard). No reason why the RAF couldn't do the same. There were plenty of old TMs and Chipmunks around and no lack of old hairies to instruct.

Faute de mieux, I advised one of my new young men to beg what time he could on the station simulator (no hope of getting him actual flying time). As the young gentleman concerned ended as the Commandant of that School at which he had once sat on the scholar's bench, it may be that my advice was beneficial.

Danny.

MPN11
4th Jul 2016, 09:45
I used to bag as much sim time [Lightning and Hunter] as I could at Tengah, to get an idea of the environment of the guys I was talking to. I remember the Hunter sim, albeit static, having some switchgear in dreadful places ... wasn't the ARC-52 down by the pilot's left hip and slightly behind his buttocks?

AnglianAV8R
4th Jul 2016, 10:00
What a fascinating post Warm Toast. |I first went down the hole at Boulmer in the late seventies and was fascinated by the scale of the place. Since then it has been dug out and extended massively. I discovered this was just a small part of a massive network known as ROTOR. At the same time there was a network of AAOR bunkers for the army ack ack system. Advances in radar performance and the brilliant innovation of a Sqn leader at Boulmer, meant that many of these monolithic structures were redundant to the military almost as soon as they were built. Subsequently, many were passed onto new users, particularly in the wartime government role. There is an excellent resource for exploring these structures : Radar - Subterranea Britannica (http://www.subbrit.org.uk/category/radar)

Wander00
4th Jul 2016, 10:53
I recall signing for the refurbished Neatishead bunker in 85/6, and later reading the BoI on the fire in the 60s - horrifying. Then discovered father of a friend of SWMBO was the civilian Incident Commander from Norfolk Fire Brigade

Danny42C
4th Jul 2016, 11:13
AnglianAV8R (#2),
...What a fascinating post Warm Toast. |I first went down the hole at Boulmer in the late seventies...
Thank you for the link ! Looked up Seaton Snook, where our Auxiliary Fighter Controllers, Fighter Plotters and Radar Operators from Thornaby learned their trades in the early '50s.

Being only "admin", I was denied entry, ruefully reflecting that I, who had faithfully served our gracious monarch, and her father before her, for fifteen years in war and peace, and sworn the Oath of Attestation to, and held my Commission from, should be now turned away. Whereas some checkout girl (did we have supermarkets then ?), with a couple of month's part time service, was welcomed with open arms. Funny old world.

So this is the sad end of our 'hole'. Even now there must be dozens of gentle old(ish) grandmothers round here, who recall the halcyon years of their youth, and would be grieved at the sight of the old place today.

Will have a look at our Summer Camp places: Bawdsey, Wartling, (don't suppose I could get at Sundern [RAFG], not sure if this was the right place, anyway - it was a GCI Unit).

Danny42C.

binbrook
4th Jul 2016, 15:43
Gentlemen
A bit of thread drift but does anyone have details of the French Fixer Service which was in use in the late 50s? AFIR it covered the whole of France and all the stations operated on 121.5, with callsigns that were regionally alcoholic like 'Calvados', 'Cognac', and 'Cassis'. We didn't use it unless there was still cloud cover after we ran out of Gee (Reims Chain I think). 'Cassis' was somewhere in Provence and the controller there usually got a call to relieve the silence after the regular failure to get any response from Paris when entering French airspace.

Warmtoast
4th Jul 2016, 20:14
Danny42C

A bit of thread drift, but bear with me - WT

I'm seeing you in a new light ! And you'll take your trusty Rolleiflex and your photographic skills aboard with you, I'll be bound. Looking forward to more treats ASAP !
Small voice: why would an AQM need to be a parachutist ? Never attracted me - the flames would need to be licking my toes before I hopped out of a perfectly good aeroplane. Your pics made me feel quite faint ! ("Back to the wind, shoulders round, feet together, watch the ground", that was the mantra, wasn't it ?) Not this child.
As soon as I was on the regular trips to the Far East with 99 Sqn I was tempted (and succumbed) to the lure of 8mm cine film and bought a cine camera cheaply in Changi Village and from early 1960 onwards my photographic interest was geared to the moving image, so sadly not many more pin-sharp Rollei transparancies of my RAF service are likely to appear.
More likely screen grabs from not particularly sharp 8mm cine film as below that shows a trip we made have a close-up of Kilimanjaro and inside its crater whilst on standby in Nairobi for a brewing 1960's Middle East crises.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Lyneham/Nairobi-Kilimanjaro2.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Lyneham/Nairobi-Kilimanjaro1.jpg

Ancientaviator62 has answered why AQM's did the parchute course at 1 PTS. My logbook logs one (just one!) parachute descent from a tethered balloon at Abingdon. And whilst on the subject of 1PTS; in my day the Parachute Jump Instructors at Abingdon were all gnarled and grizzly veterans of Suez or earlier and tended to shout down at you rather than talk in a civilised manner, but things change.
A couple of years ago I attended a press event at R.A.F. Northolt when a company launched a range of toys with an R.A.F. theme – present were some present day RAF Parachute Jump Instructors from (Brize Norton?). You will note from my photos they are NOT “gnarled and grizzly” at all — how things change!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/SgtjOBrienLouiseBuxton_1065x800.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/100_1175_870x800.jpg

At 242 OCU Dishforth, among the things we potential AQMs were taught was how to fill in an aircraft weight and balance trim sheet: Hastings (relatively simple), Britannia (relatively simple) because they only included fore and aft trimming, but the dreaded Beverley trim-sheet introduced a new complexity into the skills required to fill in the form as it introduced the need to include vertical loads into the equation as well as fore and aft weights. ISTR the whole AQM course suffered as it took ages to master the bloody thing! Sample below.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Abingdon/Beverley-Trim-Sheet-front_zpszxgcrhcy.jpg

WT.

Geordie_Expat
4th Jul 2016, 21:02
AnglianAV8R

May I second Danny's thanks for that link. It enabled me to catch up on the fate of the "pit" at Pitreavie Castle. Strange that there was no mention of the Matelo section. I spent over 4 years (in two spells) working therein so it did exist !

ancientaviator62
5th Jul 2016, 07:34
Warmtoast,
I did a balloon jump and a jump from an Argosy. This after getting airborne three times in a Beverley only to have the drop aborted each time. By this time we were not as calm and collected as we might have been.
The pics of your travels are very interesting, and perhaps we could be allowed the thread to drift to see more.
My pics (a boxful have disappeared) of my AQM/ALM trips are over on the 'global aviation...Hercules' thread. You may find some of them rekindle memories for you

Danny42C
5th Jul 2016, 12:23
Warmtoast (#33),

I said:
...the flames would need to be licking my toes before I hopped out of a perfectly good aeroplane...
But seeing the Instructor, I might have been persuaded otherwise ! (but Mrs D. would have vetoed the idea). Ah, well.

Beverley Trim Sheet - what a horror ! The only thing worse, IMHO, was the later (in my VAT days) "Accrington Schedule" which enabled me to calculate a publican's overall mark-up to two places of decimals; armed with this I was able to assess him £xxxxxx for unpaid Tax. If he didn't like this, he could take me to Tribunal. In my 13 years four did so, result: Customs 4, Appellants 0.

Danny.

CoffmanStarter
5th Jul 2016, 12:29
There was me thinking Warmtoast and AA62 were going to take us through a worked example of the Bev Load Sheet :eek:

ancientaviator62
6th Jul 2016, 06:29
Coff,
thankfully I was a Hastings/Beverley man and so the vertical c of g was mercifully absent from those a/c ! If Warmtoast had remained in the RAF he might have ended up on the mighty Hercules.

Warmtoast
10th Jul 2016, 19:38
A bit of history

From late 1956 until early 1957 I was based at R.A.F. Negombo in Sri Lanka working in the R.A.F. Negombo VHF/DF Homer. This was one of the prime navigational aids for aircraft transiting this busy R.A.F. Staging Post at Negombo and was full of activity, not only with R.A.F. aircraft but with international civilian aircraft passing through Sri Lanka as well.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Negombo%20Katunayake/KatFlightLineup1958.jpg
As to Negombo being busy have a look at this photo of the dispersal area around 1957. A TWA Connie, a Comet, two Valiants, a Hastings, a Valetta, two Shacks and something else. In the background (left-centre) Snake Hill can be seen.

The Negombo Homer was situated on Snake Hill about a mile south of Negombo’s main runway and about two-miles from Negombo’s domestic area. With our work place being so far from our accommodation and messes, we VHF/DF operators were issued with bikes to get us to and from work – this involved crossing the main runway, cycling along a track which passed through a swampy area and then up another track which led to the Homer on the top of Snake Hill. Daytime journeys were fine, but when one was down to do the late night watch at 22.30 journeys were somewhat fraught for two reasons:
1. Our bikes had torch front lights which in the pitch darkness of a Sri Lankan night were about as bright and useful as a Toc H oil lamp, which was traditionally pretty dim anyway
2. The track through the swamp and onwards up the hill was lined with bushes and trees that were populated with snakes; it wasn’t calledSnake Hill for nothing!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Negombo%20Katunayake/RAF%20Negombo%20to%20Snake%20Hill_zpsqn4jxzwh.jpg

But during my time there no one was bitten, but we always lived in fear that a snake could do its business and treat us operators as enemies! During the day green vipers and brown ones were seen regularly hanging from the bushes or sunning themselves on the track up to the top of the hill, whilst lower down in the swamp area at the bottom of the hill Cobras were plentiful. So especially in the evening when it was dark we were particularly careful not to cycle over or tread on anything nasty on our way to and from work.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Negombo%20Katunayake/Green%20Viper_zpsiyfxhgzb.jpg
Green Viper

One of my Favourite Photos
Anyway the reason for this post is to show you what I consider one of the favourite photos in my collection connected with VHF/DF work and shows the R.A.F. Negombo VHF/DF Homer looking east just before sunrise. I like because it shows, about 50-miles away, Adam’s Peak silhouetted on the horizon with the sun about to rise. Adam’s Peak can only be viewed before sunrise in silhouette form, because once the sun has risen the distant peak is lost in the daytime heat haze.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Negombo%20Katunayake/Adams%20Peak%202_zpsvetgpg0q.jpg
Adam's Peak silhouetted on the horizon 50-miles away on the right

Adam’s Peak
Situated in the highlands of central southern Sri Lanka, Adam’s Peak also called Sri Pada, is a place of pilgrimage for people of many faiths and from many countries. Set in the oblong platform that tops the mountain’s 2,243 metres-metre (7,360 feet-foot) summit is a large hollow resembling a human footprint and this site is venerated by Hindus, Muslims, and Buddhists alike. Traditionally many pilgrims climb through the night to reach the summit by dawn, in time for the spectacular sunrise that can be viewed from the peak.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Negombo%20Katunayake/Adams%20Peak%203_zpsh8zpsxxz.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Negombo%20Katunayake/Kat%201980-4_zpst68j2exx.jpg
I passed through Katunayake in 1979 and took this photo that shows that back then Snake hill had a Radar on top of it.

India Four Two
10th Jul 2016, 21:10
Great pictures, Warmtoast.

I hope you didn't stop to take that close-up of the Green Viper!

I think your "something else" might be a Devon.

Yellow Sun
11th Jul 2016, 09:00
It looks more like an Anson to me.
YS

Ignore the above, I was looking at the Valetta.

Warmtoast
11th Jul 2016, 09:19
I think India Four Two has the answer as ISTR Negombo's Station Flight had a Devon on strength.

Re snakes. Snakes were a problem on an earlier posting of mine to RAF Thornhill, S. Rhodesia, so with previous snakes experience under my hat I was pretty blasé about these worries. See here for photo:
http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/329990-gaining-r-f-pilots-brevet-ww-ii-232.html#post8178203
Post #4621

...and across the island at China Bay we were troubled by bigger threats in the form of elephants that regularly foraged in the jungle around the airfield. They tended to stay in or at the edges of the scrub-jungle alongside the airfield and didn't venture onto the airfield or near the China Bay Homer itself. Still we were always a little anxious as to what to do if one came too close, Station HQ were not too informative and suggested if one came close we were not to worry!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20China%20Bay/Elephant%20in%20Elephant%20Bay_zpsr1g497qy.jpg
I took this photo of an elephant in the scrub-jungle alongside the airfield. The adjacent bay had an unpronounceable Singhalese name, but because of the regular incursions by elephants to feed alongside the airfield we in the R.A.F. just called it “Elephant Bay”.

Danny42C
11th Jul 2016, 18:13
Warmtoast,

What a batch of beautiful photographs ! Was never in Ceylon myself (I have no truck with Sri-Lanka), but there Mountbatten lived in some state, with a contingent of Wrens to do his bidding. From our hot and dusty Burma bashas we looked enviously at this set-up, and put our thoughts intto little mocking ditties, of which I can recall only two:

"You can be an ACSEA hero,
And never see a Zero"

and

"Why would you need an Enemy
When you've got a Wrennery ?"

Sour grapes of course.

Saw a few snakes in India (mostly in a snake-charmers basket in some bazaar). But the sight of your green horror turned me quite pale ! (must have a good scout round the bathroom [their favourite spot] before I disrobe tonight). You should've got a Mongoose as a pet ("Rikki-Tikki-Tavi" would sort them out for you). But what a marvellous handbag Hermes could make out of that one.

Elephant-wise, my only "contact" with them was in Assam, and our problem was not too many, but one too few. Our (working) elephant went AWOL, and never came back. As a trained elephant costs as much as a new pick-up truck (I am indebted to a colleague on "Pilot's Brevet" for the information - where else would you look for a "Glass's Guide" of elephant prices ?) - and Government of India property to boot, they tried to put the blame on us, and wanted the RAF to pay for it. (I should mention that there was an air raid at the time, and Jumbo had got a bit of hot shrapnel up his bum).

Your D/F hut is in a lovely spot, but how would it stand up to a big tusker who decided to give it a gentle push ? (just a thought !)

Have heard of "Adam's Peak" (and there's an "Adam's Bridge", too). Was the Garden of Eden supposed to have been - in Ceylon ? "Adam's Peak" - was that where they kept the Buddha's tooth ?

So many questions !

Danny.

Warmtoast
11th Jul 2016, 22:46
Danny

Your D/F hut is in a lovely spot, but how would it stand up to a big tusker who decided to give it a gentle push ? (just a thought !)

Don't know, because Negombo's Snake Hill was devoid of pachyderms, too near civilisation I suppose!
The China Bay VHF/DF Homer was in the middle of the airfield with water on two sides - China Bay on one side and Elephant Bay on the other. The photo shows it at dusk as a Sunderland takes off from China Bay on evening patrol during "JET 57" (Joint Exercise Trincomalee 1957).

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20China%20Bay/China%20Bay%20-%20Exercise%20JET%201957%20-%20Sunderland%20Departs%20on%20an%20Evening%20Patrol_zpset0f dcr0.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20China%20Bay/ChinaBay-Sunderlands.jpg
Four of Seletar-based 205/209 Sqn's Sunderlands detached to and moored at China Bay for JET57.

Leahoe
13th Feb 2022, 13:55
Interested to note that you were at Silverstead Fixer way back. I completed the DF Op course at Compton Basset in the second half of 1953 and was promptly put on a troop ship to the Suez Canal Zone where I was assigned to the Kabrit Homer. Because they were over-staffed with DF Ops. I spent very little of my time there actually working in the Homer and instead carried out a range of other RT and Signals duties before my tour came to a premature end. I should have done a 30 month tour but Egypt signed a treaty with UK which meant that our occupation of the Canal Zone was ended and my tour terminated after 18 months. Instead of being sent somewhere interesting like most of my fellow DF Operators, I was posted back to the UK in May 1955.

I was sent to RAF North Weald from where I was posted to Silverstead Fixer, billeted at Biggin Hill. Sadly I can’t remember any of the DF team I worked with. What I can remember is the war we waged with Biggin Hill. The camp seemed to hold frequent events so that anybody off duty or between shifts on the following day was immediately roped in for litter picking and generally clearing up the mess. To avoid being caught up in this nonsense we used the Fixer as a retreat. Somehow we acquired a couple of RAF beds, with bedding, and converted the empty loft space in the Fixer into a bedroom which allowed off-duty operators to sleep over and hide until the mess clearing was completed.

This meant of course that as well as beds we needed food and we had to convince the cookhouse that there were a number of us working at the Fixer at any one time and we needed rations. I have clear memories of attending a meeting with a senior NCO in the cookhouse in which we pointed out that the standard rations issued to Fixer staff were inadequate. He sent for a poor junior and told him to imagine that he was three men, working round the clock in the middle of a field, some way from the camp. He then drew the other guy’s attention to the box containing the meager rations that we had been offered, looked at him and said something like, “You reckon you’ve got enough to eat there?” The response was predictable. The NCO then ran off a long list: eggs, bacon, sausages, bread, butter, tea, milk, etc., then gave orders for them to be prepared immediately and made available twice a week in future. So from then on we lived in comparitive luxury.

I can’t remember exactly how long I was at Biggin Hill. I certainly remember the IRA scare which lasted for some weeks towards the end of 1955 and during which, if we failed to escape, we were made to join those patrolling the airfield at night carrying pickaxe handles. At one point I was interviewed by the SIB because they were convinced that I was responsible for leaking details of the Biggin Hill security precautions to one of the daily papers. I did no such thing but that’s another story.

I left Silverstead towards the end of 1955 when I was posted to Slappers Hill Fixer in Devon. I stayed there as Corporal for the final 18 months of my engagement.

They were happy days.

Leahoe

MPN11
13th Feb 2022, 17:06
A great response from the depths of History! Welcome, Laahoe!

Warmtoast
13th Feb 2022, 20:57
Interested to note that you were at Silverstead Fixer way back. I completed the DF Op course at Compton Basset in the second half of 1953 and was promptly put on a troop ship to the Suez Canal Zone where I was assigned to the Kabrit Homer. Because they were over-staffed with DF Ops. I spent very little of my time there actually working in the Homer and instead carried out a range of other RT and Signals duties before my tour came to a premature end. I should have done a 30 month tour but Egypt signed a treaty with UK which meant that our occupation of the Canal Zone was ended and my tour terminated after 18 months. Instead of being sent somewhere interesting like most of my fellow DF Operators, I was posted back to the UK in May 1955.

I was sent to RAF North Weald from where I was posted to Silverstead Fixer, billeted at Biggin Hill. Sadly I can’t remember any of the DF team I worked with. What I can remember is the war we waged with Biggin Hill. The camp seemed to hold frequent events so that anybody off duty or between shifts on the following day was immediately roped in for litter picking and generally clearing up the mess. To avoid being caught up in this nonsense we used the Fixer as a retreat. Somehow we acquired a couple of RAF beds, with bedding, and converted the empty loft space in the Fixer into a bedroom which allowed off-duty operators to sleep over and hide until the mess clearing was completed.

This meant of course that as well as beds we needed food and we had to convince the cookhouse that there were a number of us working at the Fixer at any one time and we needed rations. I have clear memories of attending a meeting with a senior NCO in the cookhouse in which we pointed out that the standard rations issued to Fixer staff were inadequate. He sent for a poor junior and told him to imagine that he was three men, working round the clock in the middle of a field, some way from the camp. He then drew the other guy’s attention to the box containing the meager rations that we had been offered, looked at him and said something like, “You reckon you’ve got enough to eat there?” The response was predictable. The NCO then ran off a long list: eggs, bacon, sausages, bread, butter, tea, milk, etc., then gave orders for them to be prepared immediately and made available twice a week in future. So from then on we lived in comparitive luxury.

I can’t remember exactly how long I was at Biggin Hill. I certainly remember the IRA scare which lasted for some weeks towards the end of 1955 and during which, if we failed to escape, we were made to join those patrolling the airfield at night carrying pickaxe handles. At one point I was interviewed by the SIB because they were convinced that I was responsible for leaking details of the Biggin Hill security precautions to one of the daily papers. I did no such thing but that’s another story.

I left Silverstead towards the end of 1955 when I was posted to Slappers Hill Fixer in Devon. I stayed there as Corporal for the final 18 months of my engagement.

They were happy days.

Leahoe
Hi Leahoe
Our paths must have crossed whilst at Silverstead as according to my record of service I was posted from there to Bovingdon in 1956, but have no recollection of who you were - sorry!
I had a very happy time at Biggin Hill and Silverstead and my memories are positively favourable. I don't think I suffered any of the indignities that you mention above.
Also I don't recall there being any space to sleep in the roof space of the Fixer, we did after all have a rest hut in the same field alongside Silverstead Lane.
WT

Leahoe
14th Feb 2022, 18:00
Hi WT
Hell, at the age of 86 I have very little recollection of anybody.
However, like you, I look upon my time at Biggin Hill and Silverstead (in fact most of my RAF time) as very happy time. Maybe I laid it on too thick about our experiences at Biggin Hill. We didn't regard them as indignities, rather more of a fun way of overcoming certain inconveniences, mostly created by the wartime pilot jollies which happened at weekends. On the whole life there was good.
Not sure what happened to the improvised bedroom in the Fixer though. As far as I can remember it was still intact when I left to go to Slappers Hill around autumn 1955. Maybe the powers that be found it and took it back. And I confess that I don't have a very clear memory of the rest room by the lane. As far as I can remember, if we were by the lane, we were either getting out of or into a Land Rover.
But like I said recollection of detail is tricky.
Leahoe

albatross
14th Feb 2022, 18:46
A fascinating thread.
Well done to all!