PDA

View Full Version : That Stunning England V Iceland game.

Noah Zark.
27th Jun 2016, 22:28
I am not a regular football fan. That said, I have enjoyed watching a couple of the games currently being broadcast from France.
I have just watched the match (?) between England and Iceland, and credit where credit is due, England were utterly rubbish!
They ought to have all of their Astons, Range Rovers, etc. taken away and be forced to drive about in secondhand Reliant Robins, each one having their name on the side in big letters!

SpringHeeledJack
27th Jun 2016, 22:33
They were outclassed by the Icelandic squad, who played with heart, with pride and with skill who deserved to win. When a team of part time/small team players can humble the big teams such as England, then questions need to be asked…What a day for football, from both sides.

SHJ

Dan Gerous
27th Jun 2016, 22:41
Well they're out of Europe now. :p

charliegolf
27th Jun 2016, 22:54
Joe Hart: the only person to go to Iceland and not save anything!

Effluent Man
27th Jun 2016, 22:58
Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Anthony Eden, Sir Winston Churchill, Clement Attlee, Maggie Thatcher....our boys gave you a hell of a beating!

Mr Optimistic
27th Jun 2016, 22:59
Down to the manager. He actually doesn't understand football.

PAXfips
27th Jun 2016, 23:01
Leicester: 320,000 inhabitants.
Iceland: 320,000 inhabitants.

Rengineer
27th Jun 2016, 23:11
Frankly, the game was bizarre. The England side didn't appear to bein it with their hearts; they never varied their game, hardly seemed to realize what was going on. For a formerly great football nation, it was quite a low-key way to go. Surely no parallel to politics?

[edited for typo]

treadigraph
27th Jun 2016, 23:31
Hodgson has resigned.

Geordie_Expat
27th Jun 2016, 23:32
No surprise. Truly abysmal performance.

Mr Optimistic
27th Jun 2016, 23:42
Hodgson doesn't understand football. Never has. He made 11 good players look ordinary, and 11 average players look good. Like all managers, the team performs for you, so they knew.

sirwa69
28th Jun 2016, 05:00
The members of N.I., Republic and Wales teams will all come home heroes, the English guys are branded as failures.
Why? Totally down to the arrogance of their pundits and media. England have done nothing for fifty years. There is no reason why their teams should be constantly put under the pressure of being labelled as potential/expected winners.
It's time their media shut up and just took a minute to look at the other also rans who had an absolute ball in France. Hope, faith,determination and not a little talent - they all had it.
However, "England Expects" - some things haven't changed since Nelsons day.

Ancient Mariner
28th Jun 2016, 06:33
Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Anthony Eden, Sir Winston Churchill, Clement Attlee, Maggie Thatcher....our boys gave you a hell of a beating!
You are obviously aware of their origins. Good Viking stock. ;)
Per

Fliegenmong
28th Jun 2016, 07:46
Hodgson doesn't understand football.

Ya kick it into the back of the net don't you?....or fall over feigning an injury......

It's like when cricket commentators say "They'll be looking for a wicket now".....oh really?

Fareastdriver
28th Jun 2016, 08:57
What do you expect when the English Leagues are full of foreign players and managers.

charliegolf
28th Jun 2016, 10:25
My daughter sent me a joke in rather poor taste:

Hear about the Irishman, Northern Irishman and the Englishman who went into a bar? Barman says, "Come to watch Wales in the QF then lads?"

I told her not to be ridiculous: you don't get football on the tv in the departure lounge!

Too soon?

CG

david1300
28th Jun 2016, 11:43
It's somewhat funny seeing people getting upset at a bunch of millionaires running around on a soccer field. What do they really care - they are paid too much to worry about it.

Wyler
28th Jun 2016, 11:53
Iceland were a team full of national pride.
England were a group of self employed Millionaires eager to go on their summer holidays.

Groundloop
28th Jun 2016, 11:56
Down to the manager. He actually doesn't understand football.

Why does the manager always take the flak? It's the useless prima-donnas out on the pitch who are really too blame.

Teevee
28th Jun 2016, 12:17
Mind you £3 on Iceland at 14-1? Easiest £40 I ever made!

Akrotiri71
28th Jun 2016, 12:39
http://i68.tinypic.com/9iwsxg.jpg

pax britanica
28th Jun 2016, 12:49
beat me to it Akrotire

At my age 65 I have seen enough England football failures and it just cannot always be a bad manager to blame.

The sad truth is that we are not very good at the basics -fullbacks who cannot defend -as so horribly demonstrated last night and a general lack of basic skill to retain possession and play with some guile and subtlety.

Talk about a week of humiliation

Pb

sycamore
28th Jun 2016, 12:58
Personally,I think the `England Team` should spend a week with the Marines on holiday on Dartmoor,then a week with the Hereford `mob` on the Brecons, and donate their wages to H4H .Maybe they might learn that if you wear the Country`s Colours ,then you should be prepared to `die` on the pitch to win....as so many guys/gals have done in the service of their country.

Pontius Navigator
28th Jun 2016, 13:03
Not the first time they beat us
They beat us in the Cod Wars. They beat us in the currency fiasco; painful but they triumphed in the end

Cyber Bob
28th Jun 2016, 13:24
Iceland - similar in size to Leicester, similar kit to Leicester, similar tactics to Leicester, the signs were there!. They played us off the park with heart passion and desire, something we haven't had since '66. Good for them

Hussar 54
28th Jun 2016, 13:29
I'm just extremely grateful to the Iceland team for finally helping me find my self-confidence after 40+ years of trying to convince Frau H that size doesn't matter....Hopefully....

Akrotiri71
28th Jun 2016, 14:40
Some of those players on the pitch last night earn more in one week than I do in two years. And I work my guts out!

If I performed, in my job, they way they did on the pitch last night, I would be kicking frozen horse turds up the Hight St, on Monday morning, on my way to the dole office.

RAT 5
28th Jun 2016, 14:43
Are you suggesting there should be an open-top bus tour of England, amongst the hi-rises, on slopping out day?

teeteringhead
28th Jun 2016, 15:15
I only had the misfortune to watch the 2nd half - quite dreadful.

The tactics (sic) irresistably reminded me of the Millwall team in the mid 60s. Sole idea at the time seemed to be for Harry Cripps to hoof the ball up into the opposition box, in the hope that Len Julians would get his head to it.....

..... didn't work then either ....... :(

pax britanica
28th Jun 2016, 15:27
Ah names from the past- 'arry Cripps might not have been able to put a ball on Len Julians head but he could put a right winger into the terraces. And those guys did care and they did try their hearts out( no room to hide down at Coldblow Lane for anyone who didnt try in the 60's)

Seriously tho that was dross last night and exposes the truth again that our top players would not get in any other' elite ' level team. italy might have a passionate manager but i bet he's cool and cunning in the team talks and the team on the pitch are the same cunning but oh so skilful Italians.

Same ol same ol-we English are just not as good as we think, that doesnt mean we are bad people we are just a bit deluded by history

er340790
28th Jun 2016, 15:29
I've always had a soft spot for Iceland, ever since my first visit there, so was happily cheering for them in all their earlier matches.

At 1-2 I was probably not alone in thinking. "OK. You've had your bit of fun. Now this is where you get steam-rollered 5-2. By a proper team..."

Except we didn't send a proper team.

Anyone else get the feeling this week that they fell asleep Thursday night - and woke up in a parallel universe????????????????????????? :}

thing
28th Jun 2016, 15:39
Every two years at either the Euros or the World Cup we watch with the same deluded expectation that we might actually be good for once while knowing deep down that we are just waiting for the knockout blow. At least they never disappoint in that respect. There's something to be said for reliability.

maliyahsdad2
28th Jun 2016, 15:43
Or 4 years when they don't manage to qualify in the first place!

Evanelpus
28th Jun 2016, 15:52
Don't like Iceland, too expensive, prefer Aldi. Hope we beat them next week.:ok:

ricardian
28th Jun 2016, 18:04
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13510993_1002855889762128_7465403981020621458_n.jpg?oh=4c4e4 0a80d8c2bb5c0653cfe491448de&oe=57F89DC4

Krystal n chips
28th Jun 2016, 18:32
" Not the first time they beat us
They beat us in the Cod Wars. They beat us in the currency fiasco; painful but they triumphed in the end

I think they beat us in the Eurovision song contest as well.....;)

However, since the "1001" clichés are now being trotted out as to why Ingurlund have duly repeated their tried and tested "performances", a spell with certain military units would be wasted.....much better to put them in with those poor souls on the streets, those barely able to exist on the living wage, those with varying levels of impairments ....with their salaries being donated accordingly and, to borrow a concept from m'learned friends......"no win, no fee" .

I am available for consultation with the FA on a mutually agreeable remunerative basis....:E

ricardian
28th Jun 2016, 18:51
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13438973_844093655723135_79148569959998565_n.jpg?oh=3b8bddaf b106eb2a24ad2cfe0f781329&oe=57FFDF3F

Teevee
28th Jun 2016, 18:59
That's not a half bad team, though I'm not sure about Animal up front.

4mastacker
28th Jun 2016, 21:27
Hodgson knew last week his team would fail. After a training session which involved the players swerving between empty drums, he was asked "How did it go?" "Drums won 3-0" he replied.

Local Variation
28th Jun 2016, 23:05
Paid £3.5M a year to manage the Team. And what did he serve us.......

Stirling not in form, Wilshire not fit, Rooney in midfield, Drinkwater in Los Angeles, Kane taking corners. Not knowing his best Team, nor formation, making 6 changes in the third match in a game we had to win.

He couldn't manage a welk stall and deserves all the flack coming his way. But apparently, now he's resigned, he see's no reason to stand before us all and explain himself.

gemma10
28th Jun 2016, 23:19
Gary Linneker had the last word. Iceland has more volcanos than footballers.

Krystal n chips
29th Jun 2016, 06:31
A rather unfortunate choice of words some might say.....albeit likely to meet with a consensus of agreement on here......and elsewhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/28/roy-hodgson-dont-know-what-doing-here-england-iceland-euro-2016

FlightDetent
29th Jun 2016, 08:15
Aviation content?

What does ISL stand for? (http://www.abbreviations.com/ISL)

Effluent Man
29th Jun 2016, 08:22
What people don't factor in is that since 1974 when we failed to beat Poland to qualify England have been like my team, Norwich City. Putting in a good spell now and again before falling back into the second rank, not a consistent side that finished every season in the top four.

England must be regarded as a second tier side and their results will reflect that. I am not actually convinced that this is a fluke result, on another day it could just as well been Wales or the ROI that dumped them out.

teeteringhead
29th Jun 2016, 09:51
pax b

Ah names from the past- 'arry Cripps might not have been able to put a ball on Len Julians head but he could put a right winger into the terraces Not 'arf he could..... :ok:

The most amazing thing about Cripps H was that after his playing career he became "Soccer" coach at Winchester, the public school. Would love to have been a fly on the wall at some of those training sessions.......:E

Akrotiri71
29th Jun 2016, 09:54
@Effluent Man.

Fully agree. The sooner England realise that they are indeed a second, possibly, third tier team, nothing will change. There is just far too much money in the game. These players think because they are paid a shed load of cash, it reflects their ability. Wrong!

I remember when Beckham went to Real Madrid for circa £42,000,000. (I don't know what his personal terms were). When the Real Madrid chairman was asked if that was a tad pricey for investing in a player coming towards the end of his career, his reply was along the lines of, "We are doing a pre-season tour of Asia. We will re-coup that money on shirt sales alone, before Beckham even kicks a competative ball in La Liga."

As we all know, football & sport in general is now major business. If they can big-up a player, get his ugly fizzer on the front of FIFA 2016 Playstation game, or some other product, they can then sit back and watch the moolah roll in.

I blame Kevin Keegan & Henry Cooper for setting this precedent. And I will be informing Procter & Gamble that I will no longer be buying a certain brand of their shampoo until Joe Hart is removed from its advertising campaign. :*

Touching on a quote from the link K&C provided:
“I don’t really know what I am doing here.” This was actually a quote from Hodgson when he first alighted the team bus in Chantilly, but was never reported. :}

Ancient Mariner
29th Jun 2016, 10:49
Just to rub it in. Days before the EURO 2016, Iceland was beaten by the Vaterland (That will be Norway), and we didn't even make it to the championship. :E
Hurts, doesn't it.
Per

SpringHeeledJack
29th Jun 2016, 12:20
Don't like Iceland, too expensive, prefer Aldi. Hope we beat them next week.

One was, by chance, in Lidl earlier today and the mass of England gear, shirts etc that were previously festooned everywhere (Lidl are a sponsor) were dumped ignonimously in a bin at the end of their famous 'middle aisle', looking most forlorn.

As said, the rewards for both team and manager are, and were, SO massively out of kilter with ability and results that it's not even funny.

SHJ

ricardian
29th Jun 2016, 13:05
England team homecoming parade

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13508950_10154296236978594_5612474734728449066_n.jpg?oh=aa0e 84a70bba649f5b68fb33489f27a6&oe=57FAD46B

maliyahsdad2
29th Jun 2016, 13:13
Are you sure? it looks like the wheels are still on that wagon.

ricardian
29th Jun 2016, 18:17
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13533232_1776177062661871_929570532748211083_n.jpg?oh=22e816 4edd63ed870ba30ea41f3cf26e&oe=580D163F

ex_matelot
29th Jun 2016, 18:56
Seems the Icelanders are not regarded by the BBC as worthy of their pronounciation department offering advice.
Hallgrimson - Does not sound like it looks. More of a ..Hatht grimson.

Had it been a less caucasian team they'd have been choking on their tongues trying to bang out the nearest correct pronounciation.

SMT Member
29th Jun 2016, 19:57
Iceland was beaten by the Vaterland (That will be Norway)

Begging your pardon, but my history book is telling me Iceland was part of Denmark until 1946. The same book is telling me Norway was also part of the Denmark 'empire', until it became independent in 1814. Which it celebrated by electing the then-Crown Prince of Denmark! their new King. Denmark who, incidentally, came out of summer vacation in June 1992 to replace Yugoslavia in the Euro92, ended up beating ze Germans in the final.

On the other hand Eric the Red did set sail off a Noggie coast, stumbling across a certain rocky outcrop in the Atlantic whilst bumbling along looking for a new place to live.

Funny world.

Ancient Mariner
29th Jun 2016, 21:01
Correct, but who cares about Danes, not us, unless we're talking cheap bacon & booze.
The Icelanders still talk the original language, which we regretfully have substituted with some Danish bastardisation.
One of my first jobs, at 15 years of age, was fireman on an old Icelandic steam trawler with an engine telegraph inscribed in Icelandic.
The Captain did not always get his wish of "dead slow ahead" fulfilled. In fact he was lucky if he got ahead.
Per

ricardian
29th Jun 2016, 21:19
Orkney & Shetland were part of the kingdom of Norway until the 15th century (http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/history5.htm)

simon brown
29th Jun 2016, 21:39
Another crappy performance from 10 millionaires running about like directionless ants...pathetic

Una Due Tfc
30th Jun 2016, 01:10
Another crappy performance from 10 millionaires running about like directionless ants...pathetic

Your keeper is worse than most of them.

It always amazes me how venomous the media in England are towards their team at times. I remember just before one major championship one of the tabloids over there set up a fake sting on the then manager (Eriksson) pretending to be Sheiks interested in buying Aston Villa, and got Sven to agree to tap up David Beckham on camera. This all came out while the team were in camp. Or when the tabloids ran stories of Rooney having an affair just before a tournament. Not exactly conductive to good team preparation eh?

The fear caused by visualising what the tabloids will put their families through used to only affect England against the big teams in tournaments, it affected them in every game here.

Shmoo
30th Jun 2016, 01:56
This is the most embarrassing thing that's happened to England since last Friday!

oldpax
30th Jun 2016, 02:01
I still have some of those "England winners"overprint stamps from 1966,Bit of a novelty value now,was keeping them for the next time England win the world cup,I shall pass them on to my grandson!!!!

MOSTAFA
30th Jun 2016, 09:29
He might have to pass them onto his grandson before we even come close again.

pineridge
30th Jun 2016, 10:08
England`s greatest achievement was to assist Iceland to make football history.
For that the team should be congratulated.

skydiver69
30th Jun 2016, 10:59
No matter who the manager has been or what their nationality was, no matter how much the players were paid, or whether we have had 4 divisions or the EPL and three other divisions, England have won nothing since 1966.

Peter-RB
30th Jun 2016, 15:41
I am no fan of any Football Club or team..."wrong shaped Ball" but iMO they are no longer hungry, cut their wages and make em work until they bleed,:ouch: then perhaps they may just warrant lording like they do...until then Carry on Iceland

charliegolf
30th Jun 2016, 15:47
I don't think it's linked to wages in any way at all. Much closer to the truth is the propping up of the Premier League by foreign players, even into the Championship. This is reflected in the Champions League failure of UK clubs, who, when stripped of their overseas players, cannot perform. Money talks, so it ain't gonna change anytime soon. Just watch where the promoted clubs spend their welcome to the PL dosh...

CG

SpringHeeledJack
30th Jun 2016, 19:43
Money talks, so it ain't gonna change anytime soon. Just watch where the promoted clubs spend their welcome to the PL dosh...

Here's the first one….(albeit not promoted)

Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Manchester United to sign ex-PSG striker - BBC Sport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36528778)

SHJ

Mikehotel152
30th Jun 2016, 20:21
Anybody who watched England play over the last 2 years will know they hugely underperformed at the Euros.

They had a 100% winning record in the Euro qualifiers against teams as good or better than the teams in their Euro 2016 group, averaging 3 goals per game, and convincing friendly wins against the World Champions Germany and against France.

Despite his willingness to give youth a chance, Hodgson was chronically unable to settle on a tactical plan, let alone one that made the most of the players at his disposal. One would have thought that he would have used the friendlies before the Euros to bed-on his team, but instead it was painfully obvious he had no tactical plan whatsoever for the Euros. His selection for the Euros included no wingers, despite there being a few worthy contenders, and he chose to play a narrow formation instead. Worse still, Hodgson was just too 'nice' and woefully unable to motivate a bunch of millionaires to play with passion or commitment.

I blame the FA. Since the near success of Euro 96 with Venables and 98 with Hoddle, they have gone with the fashionable or safe option. Keegan had no confidence in himself but was probably short on ability. Eriksson was a foreign manager who was 'nice' but could not get the best out of the 'Golden Generation'. McLaren was a safe, but useless, pick. Capello was another knee-jerk pick, more suited to club than International management, and someone who couldn't motivate the players. Then they went for an old pal, 'Woy', who had recently failed at Liverpool.

After the recent debacle against Iceland, the FA have got nothing to lose. They may as well go back to Hoddle and bring in someone like Shearer as an understudy. I disagree with those who say the talent isn't there. It is. England's star players have always performed at the higherst level - the Champion's League - but they always underperform for their country, just as the Iceland and Wales players, amongst others, look great for their countries, but simply would not get bought by Europe's top clubs.

We need a manager with the personality to control and direct our molly-coddled millionaires.

Local Variation
30th Jun 2016, 21:51
Well written.

Let's not forget the reasons why Hoddle left his position. Reasons that shouldn't even have him as a TV pundit, let alone Manager.

thing
30th Jun 2016, 21:57
Shearer has said on TV that he would be up for the job, and he was up for the job four years ago.

Akrotiri71
1st Jul 2016, 08:21
…….This is reflected in the Champions League failure of UK clubs, who, when stripped of their overseas players, cannot perform……...
@charliegolf
UK teams competing in the CL aren't stripped of their overseas players. It's a club competition, not an international. If they are in the club's squad, they are eligible to play.

Edit: I do recall years ago, that a UK club competing in a European competition could only field a maximum of three non-indigenous players. Dunno when that changed.

charliegolf
1st Jul 2016, 08:48
Noted, didn't realise that.

scr1
1st Jul 2016, 09:00
Might go back to just English players. will all those players still be allowed with brexit??

maliyahsdad2
1st Jul 2016, 14:18
It might mean the end of "The Bosman Ruling" in the UK where players are free to move at the end of a contract without a transfer fee being paid due to EUs freedom of movement for workers.

Geordie_Expat
1st Jul 2016, 14:18
I am amazed that the talk about a new manager has not once mentioned Harry Redknap.

charliegolf
1st Jul 2016, 17:11
I am amazed that the talk about a new manager has not once mentioned Harry Redknap.

Modern, computerised payment methods render him unemployable, unfortunately.

CG

Curious Pax
1st Jul 2016, 21:49
Perhaps we should see if Chris Coleman fancies a change of scenery now he's got Wales to the semifinals!

SilsoeSid
1st Jul 2016, 22:00
Skydiver69;No matter who the manager has been or what their nationality was, no matter how much the players were paid, or whether we have had 4 divisions or the EPL and three other divisions, England have won nothing since 1966.

Can you remind us when any other UK national football team won anything, ever :ok:

charliegolf
1st Jul 2016, 22:50
So, if Poirot's lot were no 2 in the world at 8pm, then got humped by Wales on live tv, then that must mean... Oh, I'll let you do the math as the cousins say. Have Portugal won a game with actual goals in play this championship?

CG

thing
1st Jul 2016, 23:07
Might go back to just English players.

Two thirds of Premiership players are foreign nationals.

alwayzinit
2nd Jul 2016, 10:53
The difference between the 2 respective England teams, one round ball, one oviode, is frankly staggering.

The "Oviodes" gave blood sweat and tears, literally, on their recent tour Downunder and have received minimal media coverage, even though there has never been a series win down there before.

The "Roundies" appear to have more interest in advertising hair products, Goalie, being Social Media "icons" etc, than representing their country.

Maybe the Roundies need an Ozzie coach ..............................

charliegolf
2nd Jul 2016, 11:17
The "Oviodes" gave blood sweat and tears, literally, on their recent tour Downunder and have received minimal media coverage, even though there has never been a series win down there before.

My bold. That's because they sold their souls to Rupe for an extra 30 pieces. Memory says it was 'player power' wot done it back maybe in Carling's day. Others will remember better.

CG

Local Variation
2nd Jul 2016, 11:50
Football. 22 players feigning injury for competitive advantage.

Rugby. 30 players avoiding showing they are injured for competitive advantage.

alwayzinit
2nd Jul 2016, 12:03
CG, whatever ones views on Rugby going professional, I think you would agree that the speed of the modern game and the levels of fitness needed to achieve it could simply not be achieved by true amateurs.
My point was, the level of commitment displayed by the players on the representative England teams was glaring.
Football has a real problem being 11 individuals on a pitch generally. This season saw a minor Midlands team, play as a team and play their hearts out for that team to win the Football Premiership. Blowing away in the process the "big money" clubs, staffed by hair product reps and the rest.
It was interesting to see a lad who was pivotal to Leicester's win being courted by a Big Club, yet he turned them down to stay with the Leicester team.
Who knows maybe loyalty over money is making a come back? ( I know he got a payrise!!)

charliegolf
2nd Jul 2016, 12:11
Alwayz: agree with your post totally. I was referring to a money making deal the England team did with Sky which meant thir games were no longer free to air. So, media wise they were a bit quiet at home. I have no probs with professional rugby.

Hussar 54
2nd Jul 2016, 13:18
Would that be the same 'Arry Redknapp who left every team he managed in the deep, deep financial doo-doo ?

The 'Arfur Daley of football.....

Geordie_Expat
2nd Jul 2016, 14:35
Would that be the same 'Arry Redknapp who left every team he managed in the deep, deep financial doo-doo ?

The 'Arfur Daley of football.....

Apart from the fact that is a rubbish comment, even if true what is the relevance to the England team ? He would have no involvement in financial matters and is a proven good manager. (I would hardly say that Spurs were/are in any sort of financial trouble).

alwayzinit
2nd Jul 2016, 18:34
CG, my apologies for misinterpreting your comment.
And yes the Sky deal was just silly, imho, especially as blooming moaning S Barnes got to commentate.
It is a great shame that Brian Moore is contracted to Auntie, listening to Barnes comment on scrummaging got straight up my nasal passages. Did he ever get his shirt or shorts dirty when he played??

charliegolf
2nd Jul 2016, 20:00
Was he the chubby number 10? Agreed about his awful commentary, and that BM is an excellent, very fair commentator.

Hussar 54
2nd Jul 2016, 23:39
'Arry Redknap....Well, his record as manager goes something like this -

Bournmouth 1983 > 1992 - Redknapp remained at the club for two more seasons, both of which ended with the club falling three points short of the play-offs. However, mounting financial pressures caused him to resign his position at the end of the 1991–92 season, and he subsequently rejoined former club West Ham United Source Wiki.

West Ham 1994 > 2001 - Redknapp's time at West Ham was notable for the turnover of players during his tenure and for the level of attractive football and success which had not been seen since the managership of John Lyall. Over 134 players passed through the club while he was manager, producing a net transfer fee deficit of £16 million even after the £18 million sale of Rio Ferdinand to Leeds United....Chairman Brown lost patience with Redknapp due to his demands for further transfer funds. In June 2001, called to a meeting with Brown expecting to discuss contracts, he was fired Source Wiki

Portsmouth 2002 > 2004 + 2005 > 2008 In December 2009, it was announced that the club had failed to pay the players for the second consecutive month, on the 31st it was announced player's wages would again be paid late on 5 January 2010. According to common football contracts, the players then had the right to terminate their contracts and leave the club without any compensation for the club, upon giving two weeks' notice. Despite the financial difficulties, Grant's time as manager was initially successful. He gained two wins (against Burnley and Liverpool) and a draw away at Sunderland from his first five games. The only losses inflicted on Portsmouth in this period were by eventual double winners Chelsea and the previous season's champions, Manchester United. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) filed a winding-up petition against Portsmouth at the High Court in London on 23 December 2009. In March 2010, this winding-up petition was dropped, leaving Portsmouth with a nine-point penalty for entering administration. Source Wiki

Southampton - 2004 > 2005 Redknapp was tasked with keeping Southampton in the Premier League – a similar task to the one Redknapp was facing with Portsmouth, and a familiar one at the club over the previous 15 years, which he would have faced had he accepted the offer to take over a decade earlier – but ultimately was unable to achieve this, ending Southampton's 27-year spell in the top flight. Redknapp remained in charge for the 2005–06 Championship season but was unable to establish consistency needed to make Southampton promotion contenders....On 23 April 2009, Southampton were handed a 10-point deduction, following their parent company going into administration. This deduction ensured that Southampton were relegated from the Football League Championship and played the 2009–10 season in League One.[13] After failure to beat Burnley in the penultimate game of the season on 25 April 2009, which ended in a 2–2 draw, Southampton confirmed their relegation from the Championship to League One. This also meant that they started in the third tier of English football for the first time in 50 years with minus 10 points, within six years of being FA Cup runners-up, UEFA Cup participants and the eighth placed team in the Premier League Source Wiki

Tottenham 2008 > 2012 On 13 July 2010, it was confirmed that Spurs had extended Redknapp's contract until the end of the 2013 season.....Redknapp was sacked by Tottenham on 13 June 2012, after reportedly failing to agree terms on a new contract Source Wiki

QPR 2012 > 2015 [I]QPR debt rises to £177m after reporting £65.4m loss last season....Accounts cover period which ended in relegation from top tier....Wages rose to £78m with turnover only £60.6m/I] Source The Guardian March 2014.

You're correct about Spurs - he didn't leave them in financial problems, but managed to get himself fired for wanting to renegotiate his current contract with still a year to run on his exisiting contract.....And let’s not even mention the little problem he had with HMRC, although he did manage to convince the jury that the £180,000 he received from Portsmouth was just a ‘gift’ and nothing whatsoever to do with salary or bonus, so that’s alright then….

Good Old 'Arry....He's a media darlin’ but waste of space.,,,And I certainly wouldn’t recommend buying a used car from him….