PDA

View Full Version : Monaco 3A-

SpringHeeledJack
26th Jun 2016, 09:55
I was just watching 3A-MGA, a Falcon 7X heading over London and after checking it appears to be a Monaco Royal Family steed. I didn't realise that there were Monacan registered aircraft. Are there many and how long has it been in use ?

SHJ

DaveReidUK
26th Jun 2016, 10:24
There are about 40 aircraft on the Monaco register.

Most, unsurprisingly given that Monaco doesn't have an airport, are helicopters. I believe that FA7X is the only jet.

flydive1
26th Jun 2016, 15:39
Most, unsurprisingly given that Monaco doesn't have an airport, are helicopters. I believe that FA7X is the only jet.

Well, quite a few jets in the Lichtenstein register;)

philbky
26th Jun 2016, 17:37
Monaco has had a civil aircraft prefix since 1933 when Spain relinquished M-. Prior to that the radio call sign of MO- was proposed but seemingly never used. In 1933 M- was assigned and remained until 1949 when MC- was allocated. This was changed again in 1959 to 3A- and 3A-AAA to 3A-GZZ and 3A-IAA to 3A-ZZZ are for fixed wing aircraft, 3A-HAA to 3A-HZZ being for helicopters.

DaveReidUK
26th Jun 2016, 18:07
This was changed again in 1959 to 3A- and 3A-AAA to 3A-GZZ and 3A-IAA to 3A-ZZZ are for fixed wing aircraft, 3A-HAA to 3A-HZZ being for helicopters.

The demarcation between fixed- and rotary-wing no longer seems to apply, in fact almost all of the currently-registered aircraft are in the 3A-Mxx sequence.

philbky
26th Jun 2016, 18:25
The demarcation between fixed- and rotary-wing no longer seems to apply, in fact almost all of the currently-registered aircraft are in the 3A-Mxx sequence.

Thanks Dave. As a side issue, I had a look at their registration rules. They, surprisingly, have no intention of being a register of convenience. Any individual registering an aircraft must either be Monagasque or permanently domiciled there.

For partnerships, all partners and limited partners must be of Monegasque nationality or, if not, be domicilied in Monaco.

For shareholding companies, the Chairman of the Board of Directors, the Managing Director and two thirds of the directors must be of Monegasque nationality or if not, be domicilied in Monaco.

SpringHeeledJack
1st Jul 2016, 14:23
Thanks for the replies chaps, could this be the only register in the world that can't be used for convenience ?