PDA

View Full Version : Jokes during interviews

Kiltie
4th Mar 2001, 22:30
When one is presented with the classic question:

"Now then Mr. X., you say you have a good sense of humour, if this is so then tell us all a joke."

Can anyone advise something clean to fill what would essentially be an embarassing silence?

BigTimeWannabe
4th Mar 2001, 22:38
May I ask where you heard this interview question from?

If you ask me, they are trying to tell you "Don't call us we'll call you!" which basically translate to F**K OFF!!!

Hope that's helped.

BTW

Triple_Seven
4th Mar 2001, 23:01
Having a good sense of humour doesn't all in all mean that you are good telling jokes - but if you were asked this in an interview then the jokes on them!!

ROTATION
5th Mar 2001, 02:00
Wrong BTW, and no your comments didn't help.
Sometimes the board just fancy hearing a decent joke, they are after all human. I once told a long drawn out joke in an interview (successful) only to see it appear several days later in Jet Blast! Coincidence? Possibly.
In an interview situation, this approach could also serve to test how you behave under pressure - and I think we'd all agree that's a pretty high stress question!
Worth having one or two quick one liners under your hat though. Can't think of any right now.

[This message has been edited by ROTATION (edited 04 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ROTATION (edited 04 March 2001).]

TooHotToFly
5th Mar 2001, 02:42
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walked into a bar and the barman said, "Is this some kind of joke".

EggBeta
5th Mar 2001, 03:07
I think it is always very prudent to have atleast one joke up ya sleeve for any/all situations, the one I always remember is :
"There were two parrots sitting on a perch"
One says to the other.....Can you smell fish?"
This is usually greeted with a look of.... I don't get it, then after about 10 seconds the penny drops that a perch is also a type of fish.
thing is with this joke, its quick so you have little change of F*cking it up, and the person who asks you to tell the joke has to do a little thinking
Its a good one for an interview situation.

left outer, right inner
5th Mar 2001, 03:15
'A seal walked into a club......'

How about this for an interview then (hoping of course that they are not animal lovers hehe)!!!!

Happy joke telling all!

LORI

AffirmBrest
5th Mar 2001, 12:46
My fav (and aviation-related):

Guy walks into a pub.
"pint of Lager & a packet of helicopter flavoured crisps please, barman"

"Sorry sir, we've only got plane"

:)

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

VFE
5th Mar 2001, 17:17
I heard that the old "demonstrate your sense of humour" one was designed to trip you up and that you should not fall for it. You are applying for a pilot job not a comedians. That's what I heard.

Anyone in the know care to comment?

VFE.

pjdj777
5th Mar 2001, 17:23
This isn't about telling jokes, but about humour in the interview - heard of a guy who during an interview was asked what the difference was between a 737-200 and a 737-400, he said "200?".

Later on, when asked what he would do if his Captain dies during a flight he said "Log the time P1"

He got the job - is now a training captain.

5th Mar 2001, 21:14
Sorry VFE, but I'll have to disagree with you.
If asked the simple little question "tell us a joke" in any interview, refusing to answer cannot help you in any way.

Rolling off a quick one-liner however could make a good impression, and relax both yourself and the tension in the interview room. Alternatively if you tell an offensive or basically unfunny joke the pressure will intensify ten fold.

StrateandLevel
6th Mar 2001, 01:03
A good interviewer will never ask you to tell a joke.

I was asked at an RAF interview if I had done any good deeds lately, like pulling old ladies out of canals.

I replied NO, but I have pushed a few in. That shut them up! and I got the job.

VFE
6th Mar 2001, 02:16
pjdj777 and 008 I wholeheartily agree with you - this is only what I had heard from an airline pilot to a mate going for an interview within the airline he flew for.
He said and I quote: "Designed to trip you up - don't play into it!".

I won't name names but, as I say, this is what I heard. If any management or senior pilots out there would like to advise, I think we would all like hear their opinion.

All the best, VFE.

[This message has been edited by VFE (edited 05 March 2001).]

swiftlee
6th Mar 2001, 02:23
A fellow spots a nice looking girl in a bar so he goes up and starts small talk. Seeing that she didn't back off he asks her name.
"Carmen," she replies.
"That's a nice name," he says warming up the conversation,
"Who named you, your mother?"
"No, I named myself," she answers.
"Oh, that's interesting. Why Carmen?"
"Because I like cars, and I like men," she says looking directly into his eyes.
"What's your name?"

"Beerfanny." he replies

left outer, right inner
6th Mar 2001, 03:16
Now that is a great joke Swiftlee!!!

That would get you max marks if I were interviewing you!!!!

Cya, LORI

Braking Action Unreliable
6th Mar 2001, 07:43
Or you just define an eternity for the interviewers - the time that passes from he comes till she leaves......

"Tower - We are climbing for landing"

Which_Way
7th Mar 2001, 03:48
I heard that Air Atlantquie as you to prove your sense of humour.

So how about this,

Paddy and murphy were in a plane, and the plane turned upside down.

paddy said to murphy ,"when we fall out will we still be friends".......

Hope it helps.........lol

What_does_this_button_do?
7th Mar 2001, 13:30
A joke for your interview:

What's the difference between a runover C4 dispatches "jounro" and a runover dog?

There are skidmarks in front on the dog.

[This message has been edited by What_does_this_button_do? (edited 07 March 2001).]

Final Destination
8th Mar 2001, 01:47
I apologise in advance for these.
Two cows in a field, one says to the other,"are you worried about this BSE thing", the other replies," no I'm a chicken"

Two cows in a field, which ones on holiday,
the one with the wee calf (week off,just incase)

and finally, two cows in a field and one says to the other, " are you worried about this BSE thing?", and the other replies,"F**K a talking cow"

Snakum
8th Mar 2001, 23:24
I was saving these for my Midway Airlines interview but feel free to use them, since I haven't even finished my CPL yet. They are the only quick and clean, non-offensive (sorta') jokes I know.

Two Cannibals are eating a clown. One looks at the other and says "You taste something funny?"

Two Cannibals are eating a mermaid. One looks at the other and says "You smell something fishy?"

If two Cannibals ate a Chinese man ... would they just be hungry again an hour later?

:0)

Snakum

[This message has been edited by Snakum (edited 08 March 2001).]

Speedbird252
8th Mar 2001, 23:56
If they want to hear a cracker, ask them that if you get the job, can you be exempt from being rostered over Christmas and New Year.

They will pi$$ themselves laughing!!!

frohlocker
9th Mar 2001, 01:08
How do you like this one -->

What do you call a boomerang that won´t return ?

A stick !

Frohlocker

EggBeta
9th Mar 2001, 02:41
2 leppers playing cards,
One threw his hand in the other laughed his head off!

dingducky
10th Mar 2001, 01:21
what do you call a leper in a bath?

soup! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

------------------
If God had meant us to travel economy class, he would have made us narrower!

scarebus
10th Mar 2001, 02:44
Why do women have foreheads?

Its some where for you to kiss after you come in their mouth.

Kiltie
10th Mar 2001, 03:22
Excellent responses chaps, but thankfully I wasn't presented with this awkward question after all.

Instead I was subjected to basic aerodynamic theory questions which I stumbled on dreadfully, was attacked verbally for my lack of professional knowledge, but (in the opinion of my interviewer(s)) held my cool & didn't resort to tears or physical violence.

Job's in the bag.

Hope you won't be offended if I steal your jokes!

PS Big Time Wannabe - good luck with your job hunting!

[This message has been edited by Kiltie (edited 09 March 2001).]

cessnaman
10th Mar 2001, 22:25
Baby camel says to daddy camel. "dad, why have I got 2 humps?"
"Well son, when you're in the DESERT, it helps to store water."
"Why have I got long eyelashes?
"Well, son when you're in the DESERT it keeps the sand out of your eyes.
"Why am I this gold colour?
"Well, son when you're in the DESERT, it helps blend in with the sand and anything that might want to eat you from seeing you.
"Oh, right. The DESERT. Not much F**k**g good when I'm stuck behind bars in London ZOO, IS IT!

meslag
11th Mar 2001, 01:25
at air alantique whilst flying g-hart got the "you must have a sense of humour here... tell me something funny" routine.

Decided a joke was too risky... racial, political, sexist etc etc etc.

Told him the story of a few day earlier when my mate had tried to take a dump whilst standing on a wall, pants down shirt up. shat in his pants that were by his ankles and then fell off the wall into stinging nettles.

that was my idea of funny.

of course.... we were very, very drunk

Dr. Feelgood
12th Mar 2001, 15:12
What does a guy who stutters get when he orders a plate spaghetti in a restaurant?................

Ten glasses of Spa mineral water.

Greetz, :)

The Doctor

[This message has been edited by Dr. Feelgood (edited 12 March 2001).]

Ceppo
12th Mar 2001, 16:32
I was asked that question in an interview once. I told them a truly filthy joke. They loved it and I got through. (I swear this is true)

Sagey
12th Mar 2001, 18:40
Duck goes into a bar
Says to the barman Have u got any bread
Barmans say no
Duck: Have u got any bread
Barman No I just told u that
Duck: Have u got any bread
Barman: No I keep saying that
Duck: Have u got any break
Barman: Look if u don't stop asking me, I going to nail your beak to the bar
Duck: Have u got any nails
Barman: No
Duck: Have u got any bread then

A tune walks in a bar, the barman goes OI U BANNED GET OUT
5 minutes later a Lockett walks into the bar orders a drink and then tells the barmans" I saw a depressed tune outside, says u banned him what he d wrong"
Barman "Yeah he barred, that Tune is totally menthol"

Brain and jumplead go into bar, barman says oi u do I ain;t servin ya, they go why, Barman says One of u off ya head, and the other looks like he going to start something

Willie Eckerslike
12th Mar 2001, 20:51
Surely the mere fact that you applied to Air Antique proves you have a sense of humour!

Sorry but couldn't resist. I'm sure you'll all see the funny because you've all got such a great sense of humour!

DOC.400
13th Mar 2001, 21:35
Ask 'em if they know the definition of a
non-precision approach?

Blonde on an ILS.............

Commander
14th Mar 2001, 05:14
Probably one of the best aviation-related:

What do you call a pregnant stewadress?

- Pilot error

calypso
15th Mar 2001, 01:34
You walk by the galley and you see the capitain at it with the stewardess. Is it business or pleasure?

It is obviusly pleasure, otherwise the first officer would be doing it.

Need4speed
15th Mar 2001, 17:11
The advantage of having Alzheimer's is that you get to meet someone new every day.

Princess PP
15th Mar 2001, 17:25
groooaaan!... that's sick! :rolleyes:

scarebus
15th Mar 2001, 23:47
What is the difference between a pregnant trolleydolly and a light bulb?

You can unscrew a light bulb