PDA

View Full Version : British C Series order

br8fmr
24th Jun 2016, 20:49
"Rumors has it, there are orders for CSeries coming up during the Farnborough Airshow before July 14. Also, we could expect one of those orders to be from a "British" airline for something around or in excess of 100 CSeries."

I know there is probably only one Airline who this could be but has anybody any more info.
CSeries: More Good News? Check this! (http://www.fliegerfaust.com/cseries-more-good-news-check-this-1875508093.html)

El Bunto
24th Jun 2016, 20:54
Aww that's too easy!

Half-surprised that Cityjet aren't adding a few though, they seem to be buying anything that flies at the moment.

NickBarnes
24th Jun 2016, 21:01
As has been hinted it's future is orange

EI-BUD
24th Jun 2016, 21:36
Willie Walsh has said that IAG could see C Series as a match for some of the airlines within the group. That might well be BA. I cant see easyJet at this junction going for this change in direction given it has commitments made to NEO etc. More generally IAG going for C Series could be good for Aer Lingus given then a great aircraft for thinner routes and new route development.

EI-BUD

DaveReidUK
24th Jun 2016, 21:54
As has been hinted it's future is orange

Well it might have been, two days ago when first posted ...

NWSRG
24th Jun 2016, 22:29
I cant see easyJet at this junction going for this change in direction given it has commitments made to NEO etc.

But this was rumoured for EZY some time ago...C-series to replace A319 on thinner routes, and A320 to replace A319 everywhere else.

PPRuNeUser0176
24th Jun 2016, 22:51
Willie Walsh has said that IAG could see C Series as a match for some of the airlines within the group. That might well be BA. I cant see easyJet at this junction going for this change in direction given it has commitments made to NEO etc. More generally IAG going for C Series could be good for Aer Lingus given then a great aircraft for thinner routes and new route development.

EI-BUD

Don't see it, Airbus will get some increased business within 6-12 months if word on the street is to be believed.

Perhaps Fly Maybe will get some to replace E Jets? or BA CityFlyer for growth?

mikkie4
24th Jun 2016, 23:35
Ideal aircraft for smaller airports with short runways like SOUTHEND

Whispering Giant
25th Jun 2016, 06:22
Think you might find that the British order is for a new start up called ODYSSEY airlines due to start operations in 2017 and based out of LCY. Try looking at - Home - Odyssey Airlines (http://www.flyody.com)

EI-BUD
25th Jun 2016, 06:47
Whispering giant - Odyssey yes, but 100 units???

Heathrow Harry
25th Jun 2016, 07:55
2 + 98 options?

DaveReidUK
25th Jun 2016, 11:10
2 + 98 options?

Bombardier announced the Odyssey order (for 10 aircraft) five years ago, although they didn't identify the customer until 2013.

Bombardier Discloses Odyssey as European Customer for 10 CSeries Aircraft - Bombardier (http://www.bombardier.com/en/media/newsList/details.bombardier-discloses-odyssey-as-european-customer-for-10-cseries.bombardiercom.html)

Cloud1
25th Jun 2016, 11:55
How about bmi regional? X firm to be split between their UK op, expansion and ops for other carriers and X options?

They currently operate intra-European routes so maybe this has a need for more airframes

SWBKCB
25th Jun 2016, 12:01
Surely if it's a really 100 frames it can only be EZY or BA. Even for either of these it seems like a very 'brave' decision - as for anybody else, well... :eek:

EI-BUD
25th Jun 2016, 13:38
I'd imagine if it was an easyJet order, there would be some level of cajoling to get Stelios to agree to such a large order??

kcockayne
25th Jun 2016, 15:13
Surely, the whole ethos of EZY mitigates against the C Series replacing the 319. Just imagine the cost of type ratings for 1/2 the pilots - & then being unable to use them on the 320. Although, I suppose, you could keep them busy on both types in order to keep the Ratings current & the operation flexible.Would they do this ? Then there would be new recruits who would have to get both ratings, or only able to fly 1/2 the fleet.
You would , presumably, repeat the whole procedure for maintenance & cabin crew etc.
On the other hand, EZY have not ordered any 319 NEOS to replace any that are getting a bit "long in the tooth". Does this give any credence to the rumour ?

willy wombat
25th Jun 2016, 17:24
While there are costs associated with a two type fleet - not just pilots but spares, maintenance etc, if the fleets are big enough, right-sizing the aircraft to the routes will save more money than the extra costs that are incurred.

Doors to Automatic
25th Jun 2016, 20:18
Multi-fleet costs are only really an issue if the fleet sizes are small. An airline with 10 aircraft and 3 different types would be inefficient but once you are talking 100 plus airframes per type the savings from having a single fleet are negligible.

Peter47
25th Jun 2016, 20:26
Jet Blue manages a two fleet operation OK.

Heathrow Harry
26th Jun 2016, 08:07
"I'd imagine if it was an easyJet order, there would be some level of cajoling to get Stelios to agree to such a large order??"

EJ management try and ignore him as much as possible - and the rest of their shareholders wish he'd go somewhere else.....

Heathrow Harry
26th Jun 2016, 08:10
"Multi-fleet costs are only really an issue if the fleet sizes are small. An airline with 10 aircraft and 3 different types would be inefficient but once you are talking 100 plus airframes per type the savings from having a single fleet are negligible."

I think DtA that what you mean is that there is clearly an extra cost operating a 2 type fleet BUT there may be cost savings from optimistaion of type to route that outweigh those "duplication" costs if your netwrok is big enough

toledoashley
26th Jun 2016, 08:16
It would be quite a turnaround by EZY to order the C-Series, they said they wanted a single fleet type fleet when they ordered the NEO, and have since been looking to the 321, rather than smaller. I can certainly understand the rationale though for a smaller aircraft, for the regional markets which they serve.

SWBKCB
26th Jun 2016, 08:21
Given the uncertainty over Brexit, what British company would be prepared to make this level of commitment just now?

easyflyer83
26th Jun 2016, 09:39
I don't see it being easy, though I have been wrong before.
It's been said for a long time that two fleets, with a big enough fleet size, is no detriment to a LCC these days. Indeed, easy's history has seen it operate dual fleet. Airbus and Boeing were both operated for a time with the express intention of operating both. I.e not merely whilst the Boeing was being gradually withdrawn.

br8fmr
26th Jun 2016, 11:45
I thought the "British" in the original article was a hint, but does BA need a small plane?
Heathrow is short of slots and it would make sense for fewer short hall flights with bigger planes. They need the 320's and 321's so this is an extra type. They would be ideal for Cityflyer but the E. jets are reasonably young, when would they replace them? Would there be space in Gatwick for them or would BA return to the regions as they have now started some weekend flights? Most of the expanding airlines have many bases.

26th Jun 2016, 12:40
Could "British" mean BA, Aer Lingus and Iberia? Between the three 100 might be plausible?

Reversethrustset
26th Jun 2016, 14:04
Aer Lingus isn't British, they are Irish. Ireland is not part of the UK.

Startledgrapefruit
26th Jun 2016, 16:15

That rules out Citywing as well then

26th Jun 2016, 16:36
I presume you decided to try and be facetious, though I'm not sure why, or why you decided it might be worthwhile to take it upon yourself to offer a primary school geography lesson.

Nevertheless, the fact remains that Aer Lingus is, in practical terms, a British-Spanish airline.

philbky
26th Jun 2016, 17:02
I presume you decided to try and be facetious, though I'm not sure why, or why you decided it might be worthwhile to take it upon yourself to offer a primary school geography lesson.

Nevertheless, the fact remains that Aer Lingus is, in practical terms, a British-Spanish airline.

No, you are wrong. Aer Lingus is part of IAG but is incorporated in, pays tax in, has its aircraft registered in and its head office in Ireland. Using your definition it is, in practical terms an Irish - British - Spanish airline.

26th Jun 2016, 17:07
Any major capital investment decision is going to be made by the parent on a group basis.

Reversethrustset
26th Jun 2016, 17:30
You presume wrong, I wasn't trying to be facetious, not in the slightest. You were factually wrong, so for clarity for the contributors and readers who aren't familiar with everything and anything "British" I thought I'd clarify it. Is that ok? Sorry I hurt your sensitive feelings.

DaveReidUK
26th Jun 2016, 17:56
We could always ask the source of the unconfirmed rumour what they mean by a "British" airline. :O

Or just wait a couple of weeks ...

Una Due Tfc
26th Jun 2016, 18:27
IAG order aircraft and then each airline in the group makes it's case why they should get them.

kcockayne
26th Jun 2016, 20:59
FZRA

Thank you. Very succinct & comprehensive answer. I now realize that a 2 type fleet might not be all that problematical to operate. Thanks to all for the replies.

DaveReidUK
26th Jun 2016, 21:08
You will most likely find that a certain number of Type Ratings will be thrown in for "free" or as part of the deal with Bombardier

Or indeed that there is no EZY deal with Bombardier ...

NickBarnes
27th Jun 2016, 07:33
Listening to comments EZY seems to not be the case, only leads me to think of Flybe tbh

Reversethrustset
27th Jun 2016, 09:56
What on earth is flybe going to do with 100 C Series jets? There is no way on God's earth it's flybe. We don't have the money for one thing, and we don't like new aircraft and we certainly won't be increasing seat capacity by nearly 50% in a challenging market. The only real & likely candidate has already been stated on here - IAG/BA.

NickBarnes
27th Jun 2016, 11:19
Ah perhaps that was a little foolish of me then, will be interesting to see where they go with IAG then if it happens

goerring
27th Jun 2016, 12:00
Maybe they're going to IAG short haul ( doesnt matter whether they're painted green, blue/white, or yellow ) feeding IAG long haul through Dublin. ( 'cos LHR full ). Oh and maybe a few for Cityflyer.

SWBKCB
27th Jun 2016, 15:03
I know this is a rumour network, but seriously - 3 pages?? :eek:

DaveReidUK
27th Jun 2016, 15:14
I know this is a rumour network, but seriously - 3 pages??

You can adjust your preferred number of posts per page in the User Control Panel - then it will only be 2 pages. :O

Barling Magna
28th Jun 2016, 09:38

Quite so, but "British" may have appeared in inverted commas since Ireland is part of the British Isles archipelago, regardless of political divisions, just as the Isle of Man is (also not a member of the UK - and probably Scotland too, soon.....). On the other hand "British" may simply mean BA.

Cyrano
29th Jun 2016, 19:49
Quite so, but "British" may have appeared in inverted commas since Ireland is part of the British Isles archipelago, regardless of political divisions.

Probably best to stop digging.;)

Aer Lingus is not going to order 100 CSeries. And no-one who isn't trolling would attempt to describe Ireland as "British". Move on.

monkey.tennis
11th Jul 2016, 10:06
Now that farnborough has got underway, any real news of a UK order?

DaveReidUK
11th Jul 2016, 11:00
Now that farnborough has got underway, any real news of a UK order?

Bombardier don't currently have a press conference scheduled for Farnborough, so if there's going to be any announcement it's unlikely to be today.

Farnborough International Airshow Trade 2016 - Seminar Programme - Press Conference (http://www.farnborough.com/trade/Content/Seminar-Programme-Press-Conference)

crablab
11th Jul 2016, 16:23
Bombardier don't currently have a press conference scheduled for Farnborough, so if there's going to be any announcement it's unlikely to be today.

Farnborough International Airshow Trade 2016 - Seminar Programme - Press Conference (http://www.farnborough.com/trade/Content/Seminar-Programme-Press-Conference)
Although the Airbus/Virgin Atlantic press conference wasn't listed on there and that happened today (11th)...

Airbus Group - Virgin Atlantic selects the A350 as its future flagship (http://www.airbusgroup.com/int/en/news-media/press-releases/Airbus-Group/Financial_Communication/2016/07/Virgin-Atlantic-selects-the-A350-as-its-future-flagship.html)

El Bunto
14th Jul 2016, 08:41
No C-series orders to be announced at Farnborough. So we can keep rumouring for a while yet!

ATNotts
14th Jul 2016, 08:51
No C-series orders to be announced at Farnborough. So we can keep rumouring for a while yet!
3 pages of unfounded rumour then?

Curious Pax
14th Jul 2016, 10:00
FWIW there's a CS100 at Luton at the moment being towed to the orange hangar.

DaveReidUK
14th Jul 2016, 10:36
FWIW there's a CS100 at Luton at the moment being towed to the orange hangar.

It's FTV5 that's been at Farnborough all week.

It would be surprising if EasyJet had turned down the opportunity for their engineers to crawl over an aircraft that they've been evaluating for at least the last four years, but I wouldn't read any more into it.

El Bunto
14th Jul 2016, 10:43
I'm not sure there's much to be gleaned by crawling over a modern aircraft, everything's pretty much black-boxed.

We shall watch FR24 expectantly for any signs of test-flights...

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/c-gwxz

Boeing737-8
14th Jul 2016, 12:05
Don't think it's any test flights. It's in somebody's hanger at LTN which is orange. I wonder who??
https://www.instagram.com/p/BH1wrBKDhVu/

DaveReidUK
14th Jul 2016, 12:52
Don't think it's any test flights. It's in somebody's hanger at LTN which is orange.

I think we've already established that ...