PDA

View Full Version : Forget the bailout, Qantas needs a big tax

CurtainTwitcher
24th Jun 2016, 02:27
Forget the taxpayer bailout, Qantas needs a big tax cut says Alan Joyce

June 24, 2016 - 12:15AM
CBD
Colin Kruger

Do you remember the dark days of December 2013 when Qantas boss Alan Joyce was desperately trying to convince Tony Abbott's government that the airline needed a taxpayer bailout?

Well, you're not the only one for whom this dark chapter is ancient history.

Qantas has regained altitude after that multi billion dollar loss in 2014. And with nothing but record profits as far as the eye can see, Joyce has new challenges to address.

So there he was on Thursday dealing with the company's new problem - having to pay tax now that it is profitable again.

"The country as a whole has a lot to gain from large companies getting a tax cut – which, to be honest, is the only reason governments would risk suggesting one," said Joyce in an opinion piece for his corporate union, the Business Council of Australia.

He pointed out that every time Qantas considered an investment it conducted detailed analysis to see whether it would make money for the airline. "The amount of company tax we have to pay forms part of that analysis – so logically, a lower company tax rate will increase how often we say yes to new investment," he said.

"So if you're asking the question of 'what's in it for me' when it comes to a company tax cut for big business, remember that we're all part of the same economy. And as the saying goes, a rising tide lifts all boats."

CBD prefers to back the opinion of colleague Ross Gittins on just how much this rising tide of corporate tax cuts will lift the boat of the average taxpayer: "the Treasury modelling finds that the level of employment in 20 or 30 years' time will be just 0.1 per cent higher than otherwise."

Irish luck
Joyce also mentioned his recent trip to Dublin and a taxi-driver who complained about how busy the area had become since companies like Facebook, Google and LinkedIn had set up large offices there. "But the driver then stopped himself and said, 'It's good they're here, I guess. They brought a lot of jobs with them'."

Joyce attributed this to Ireland's low company tax rate.

That's one way of looking at it.

In preliminary findings in 2014, European antitrust authorities said Apple's tax arrangements were improperly designed to give the company a financial boost in exchange for jobs in Ireland.

And a recent report names Ireland as one of the tax havens, which collectively suck $6 billion in tax revenue from Australia every year.

And keep in mind these corporate tax cuts will cost Australia $8.3 billion a year.
SMH.com.au (https://web.archive.org/web/20160624021039/http://www.smh.com.au/business/cbd/forget-the-taxpayer-bailout-qantas-needs-a-big-tax-cut-says-alan-joyce-20160623-gppvfi.html)

Business Council of Australia OpEd (https://web.archive.org/web/20160624021919/http://www.bca.com.au/media/reduce-company-tax-and-our-economy-will-take-off)
REDUCE COMPANY TAX AND OUR ECONOMY WILL TAKE OFF
23 June 2016

This opinion article by BCA Member and Qantas Chief Executive Alan Joyce (pictured) was published in the Herald Sun on 23 June 2016.

A few weeks ago, I was in Ireland for a big aviation conference. It’s an annual event and airline CEOs from around the world were all there. At one stage, one of them told a story about a taxi ride they took through part of Dublin nicknamed the Silicon Valley of Europe.

The traffic was bad and the taxi driver was complaining about how busy the area had become since the likes of Facebook, Google and LinkedIn had set up large offices there. But the driver then stopped himself and said, “It’s good they’re here, I guess. They brought a lot of jobs with them.”

A key reason those companies where ‘there’ was because of Ireland’s company tax rate. A while ago, the government made the decision to cut it to 12.5 per cent for most companies – less than half of what it is in Australia. On the one hand, this cut the revenue they received from companies. But on the other hand, a lot more companies wanted to set up in Ireland. And the companies that were already there could grow because they were paying less money in tax. Combined, it helped grow the total amount Ireland collected in tax.
Ireland’s not alone in making this decision. The tax rate in the UK is 20%. In Singapore it’s 17%. In Switzerland it’s 8.5%. And these levels are designed to encourage business investment, which then leads to more jobs and ultimately more prosperity for the country as a whole.

In Australia, the debate on company tax has followed a fairly predictable course. A tax cut is proposed. Companies welcome it because they stand to benefit. But individuals and households are encouraged to feel that it’s unfair that companies get a tax cut and they don’t.
In reality, the country as a whole has a lot to gain from large companies getting a tax cut – which, to be honest, is the only reason governments would risk suggesting one.

Every time Qantas weighs up a decision to invest in something new (like a new airport lounge, for instance) we run a detailed analysis on the numbers to make sure it’s something that will ultimately make money for us. The amount of company tax we have to pay forms part of that analysis – so logically, a lower company tax rate will increase how often we say yes to new investment.
To stick with the same example, the decision to build a new lounge brings a lot of jobs with it – in designing it, through buying the materials required, construction, and ultimately stocking and running it. So it’s not hard to see the relationship between a lower tax rate and overall job growth and economic activity.

Qantas has hundreds of suppliers that are small to medium size businesses. We employ 30,000 people ourselves, support jobs for another 30,000 in the wider economy, and contribute (directly and indirectly) almost 1 per cent of the nation’s GDP - as well as paying or collecting $2 billion a year in taxes of all kinds for the government. Other large companies work on a similar scale.
So if you’re asking the question of “what’s in it for me” when it comes to a company tax cut for big business, remember that we’re all part of the same economy. And as the saying goes, a rising tide lifts all boats.

bca.com.au (https://web.archive.org/web/20160624021919/http://www.bca.com.au/media/reduce-company-tax-and-our-economy-will-take-off)

Like This - Do That
24th Jun 2016, 02:51
And as the saying goes, a rising tide lifts all boats.

It might lift the 'super yachts' but the little tiddlers anchored to the bottom by cuts to government services, some health problems, being laid off .... well if they just sink too bad, hey Mr Joyce?

thorn bird
24th Jun 2016, 22:04
Guess your one of those people who stand with a tilt to the left who prefer to be a welfare recipient than do some productive work aye?

mcgrath50
24th Jun 2016, 22:45
Guess your one of those people who stand with a tilt to the left who prefer to be a welfare recipient than do some productive work aye?

I prefer to describe myself as evidenced based. When has trickle down economics worked? All it has done since the Regan years is concentrate the wealth in the top 10%. Both the treasury and PriceWaterhouseCoopers has said the coalitions company tax cut will have a negligible effect on the economy but cost the budget a lot of money. Seeing as we are meant to be in a budget emergency (and struggling to pay for health, education, science, domestic violence asistance etc. but not new subs or JSF obvs), shouldn't we make sure any changes that bring in less dollars to the budget actually have a noticeable effect on the economy?

gordonfvckingramsay
24th Jun 2016, 22:48
I don't find myself agreeing with Joyce very often, but in this instance I do. The Aussie tax system is a complete mess, the intention may have been good, but the reality is not yielding the desired effect for either end of the wealth spectrum.

The problem for Alan is that no one believes him. He doesn't want this for the good of the nation or the airline, he wants it for Alan. And that is why big business will continue to not get its way; there isn't a selfless bone in corporate Australia's body.

Like This - Do That
24th Jun 2016, 23:07

Nope nope nope and nope. BTW it's "you're" ....

Never voted ALP or Greens. Never been in a Centrelink office. Didn't get family tax benefit A. Gainfully employed since the mid-1980s when I left school. Studied part time whilst working two jobs. Currently working two jobs and volunteering.

Just fed up with the orthodoxy of incessant tax cuts. Australia has one of the lowest overall tax takes in the OECD, but apparently that's not enough. The spivs and urgers want public services cut to developing world levels in order to fund more and more and more tax cuts. When does it end?

mcgrath50
26th Jun 2016, 12:29
Like this, with respect you say you have

Never voted ALP or Greens.

but are

fed up with the orthodoxy of incessant tax cuts

Maybe it's time to try someone new?

Like This - Do That
26th Jun 2016, 22:30
I hear what you're saying, but my natural home is what the Liberal Party used to be. It's never been a mesh with the ALP and their deep streak of 1890s style class hatred. The Greens have one or two laudable aims but otherwise are off with the pixies in genuine fruitcake la-la-land.

Guess that leaves me politically homeless. :confused:

Ngineer
26th Jun 2016, 22:53
Company tax rates are just a guideline, an expectation to be met by smaller businesses that lack the mechanisms to avoid them by lack of accounting creativity and countermeasures.

How many big businesses are paying a full 30% on every dollar that is legitimately earned in this country?

Beer Baron
26th Jun 2016, 23:25
Sounds like a race to the bottom to me.
We cut our tax rate to lure business away from Singapore, Ireland, etc. so they cut further to keep them. We can't ALL have the lowest tax rate.

Who wins in all this? Multi-national businesses!

It's a zero-sum game. You are not growing business, just trying to steal it from another country.

mcgrath50
27th Jun 2016, 00:35
Bingo, the other thing to remember every time we talk about luring companies from silicon valley is that we have an agreement with the US that American companies who pay less than the US tax rate here still pay the difference in the US (eg; if their tax rate is 35% and ours is 30%, 5% gets collected and sent to the US).