PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Bowser locations, where to find?

magicalflights
22nd Jun 2016, 09:37
Hi people,

Just wanted to know how you guys generally find avgas bowsers in airports without taxying around or walking around to find. The information is not in the aerodrome chart nor the ERSA.

I'm looking at the following airports, so anyone with the following information, please assist. Thanks.

YGTH YMIA YPIR YCDU YFRT YPKG

Lead Balloon
22nd Jun 2016, 21:52
YGTH = Next to taxiway B in front of the Aero Club building.

YMIA = Directly in front of taxiway B, to the South of the RPT terminal and North of the Aero Club building.

YPIR = Off those taxiways off the North of runway 26, over in the Northeastern corner of the apron.

YCDU = Northwestern corner of taxiway A, to the North of the terminal building.

YFRT = Adjacent to the threshold of runway 36, on the Eastern side. You can't miss it.

YPKG = That little pimple on taxiway C marked on the ERSA runway diagram.

Enjoy the trip! :ok:

UnderneathTheRadar
22nd Jun 2016, 22:21
Downwind check -
- gear
- flaps
- master/mixture/mags
- temps/pressures
- fuel

- parking spot & bowser identified

Ixixly
22nd Jun 2016, 22:26
Haha, there's no real good answer to this. You either need to call them up before hand or have a look when you arrive. You can always have a look on Google Earth as well, the bowser areas are usually easy to pick out.

outnabout
22nd Jun 2016, 23:35
Excellent descriptions, Lead Balloon...

When you call the fuel company the day before to check availability, you can always ask them then...

On the day, don't taxi in flat out riding the brakes, come in at walking pace, have a good look around and you will usually find the fuel bowsers somewhere near GA parking.

gerry111
23rd Jun 2016, 11:13
It's also a good idea to carry current Air BP, Aero Refuellers and Mobil cards as not all self serve bowsers take credit cards.

Lead Balloon
25th Jun 2016, 08:29
gerry111's tip is a valuable one, magicalflights.

A couple of flights ago I pulled in at YBHI, only to find that my Carnet card for the only brand of AVGAS available would not be accepted by the bowser as it was beyond its expiry date. The bowser did not accept credit cards.

The local representative of the brand of AVGAS sold at YBHI, who was there anyway because of RFDS activities, helped out by allowing me to pay for a fill with a credit card transaction that he processed.

The sting? 20 cents per litre 'surcharge'.

I was told it was 'company policy'. I interpreted that to mean 'financially raping captives of a monopoly', as is so common across aviation infrastructure in Australia.

I should stress that I don't blame the local representative. He was merely implementing 'company policy'. And I don't know how many places have monopoly brand presence without credit card payment facilities through the bowser.

magicalflights
30th Jun 2016, 08:03
Thanks everyone for your replies. very helpful. excited for the trip!

ddoth
30th Jun 2016, 12:59
YFRT has a person that will come out and fill / process payment for you. You can't miss it and he / they will be waiting for you when you give your inbound call.
YMIA does have CC facilities when I was there last - you just have to make sure the refueller is on duty at the time.

Gerry111 does make an extremely good point, don't forget a credit card as well, bowsers don't have a standard apparently.

If for whatever reason you decide to stop into Nullabor Motel - don't worry about getting fuel there, it is expensive.

It never hurts to give the airport a call, they happily give you bowser and parking locations.