PDA

View Full Version : General Aviation Industry calls on Queensland Premier to meet

aviationadvertiser
22nd Jun 2016, 03:02
Wednesday, 22nd June 2016

Hon Anastasia Palaszczuk MP
Premier of Queensland
PO Box 15185
City East, Queensland 4002, Australia
[email protected]

Hon Jacklyn Trad MP
Deputy Premier of Queensland
Minister for Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning
Minister for Trade and Investment
PO Box 15009
City East, Queensland 4002, Australia
[email protected]

Hon Mr Stirling Hinchcliffe MP
Minister for Transport
Queensland Parliament
GPO Box 2644
Brisbane QLD 4001, Australia
[email protected]

The members of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association

The 94,000+ Users of the Aviation Advertiser Network and
the various national and state media representatives attached.

General aviation industry calls on Queensland Premier Anastasia Palaszczuk to meet.

Premier Palaszczuk,

My name is Benjamin Morgan and I am the Chief Executive of the Aviation Advertiser (www.aviationadvertier.com.au) an aircraft sales and marketing service based in Australia. Our services are used by over 94,000 aviation users across the country, comprising of pilots, aircraft owners, aviation business proprietors, aviation enthusiasts and supporters. I am also a Director of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association which represents approximately 3,000 members and is actively involved in advocating for aviation regulatory reform in Australia.

On a daily basis I am in direct communication with a broad spectrum of aviation users, thousands of which are based throughout Queensland. Student, recreational, private and commercial pilots, private and commercial aircraft owners and aviation tourism operators, charter businesses and maintenance companies. All of whom are desperately concerned for the future of general aviation in the state of Queensland and across Australia.

The Australian general aviation industry has been failed by successive federal governments whom have lacked a mature and developed understanding of the value the industry provides to thousands of communities across Australia. At its most basic level, general aviation produces the pilots who operate everything from light aircraft, helicopters and airliners. It is the birthplace from where all other aviation stems in this country - and it is at serious risk of collapse.

Over the past 25 years our industry has been subjected to an onslaught of unnecessary, federally directed, bureaucratic regulatory restrictions. Australia’s hard working general aviation businesses have been forced into a regulatory framework that is incompatible. The government has applied airline standards to small to medium sized businesses, which can simply not afford the required levels of compliance. The result has been the slow suffocation of an entire industry, pushing thousands of small businesses perilously close to bankruptcy.

Already across the state of Queensland there has been a great number of aviation clubs, flight training centres, charter operators, maintenance and tourism enterprises close their doors. Should these closures be allowed to continue, Queensland along with every other state in Australia will see thousands out of work and hundreds of millions in state revenues destroyed and lost.

Queensland cannot afford to loose its general aviation industry.

In protest to this destruction, on the 6th of May 2016, I organised an aviation rally at Tamworth Regional Airport in New South Wales. The purpose of the rally was to highlight to the Liberal/National coalition the desperate state of our industry. I called on the Deputy Prime Minister, Mr Barnaby Joyce and the Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development, Mr Darren Chester, to take action. The event was well attended by aviation users and representatives from all of Australia's states and territories.

Our Deputy Prime Minister, Mr Joyce and Minister for Transport, Mr Chester were unable to provide those gathered any meaningful position or perspectives on the issues affecting our industry. They both simply resigned themselves to statements of having 'no idea about aviation' and deferred the industry to deal with the bureaucrats, whom it is clear have no motivation to see broad change occur.

It is clear our federal politicians don’t care and are not interested in doing anything.

Premier, our general aviation industry is governed by a department and a regulator which are vastly disconnected to the realities and the challenges that face the hard working men and women in general aviation across this country and throughout your state of Queensland. They have made entering and setting up aviation businesses cost prohibitive and have devalued investment within our industry. They have guided the general aviation industry into serious and perilous decline and they refuse to change course.

Our industry requires a strong and clear political intervention to end this bureaucratic nightmare and I am calling on you as Premier of Queensland to stand with us in saving thousands of jobs, our industry and our futures.

Unless a diverse and broad platform of regulatory reform is undertaken by the government, the general aviation industry across this country will continue to decline and will collapse. The impact of which will be felt by the states not the federal government.

Right across Queensland there are a great number of local government owned and operated airports which are being unfairly impacted and damaged as a result of the department and regulator’s mishandling of our industry. As a result of the broad business closures, they are unable to fund their airports through aviation activities, rather they must seek Queensland ratepayer funding and state government subsidy to fill the gaps.

It is entirely unreasonable that the federal government force the ratepayers and state government of Queensland to pick up the bill for their ignorance and negligence.

I am calling on you as Premier of Queensland to stand by the hard working men and women of Queensland and to work with the general aviation industry in partnership. Help us transform our industry into an economic powerhouse for Queensland by calling on the federal government to broadly reform our antiquated and dysfunctional aviation regulatory framework.

The very best of our industry's associations, peak-bodies and leadership are unified and are at the ready to help you and the state of Queensland define the necessary policies.

Core values the general aviation industry stands by:

- Only regulate when necessary and do so proportionately
- Deregulate everywhere we can and reduce cost to industry
- Help create a vibrant and dynamic general aviation industry

Premier, I ask that we be permitted to meet with yourself, The Minister for Infrastructure and Local Government and The Minister for Transport at the earliest convenience, so that we may provide your government with a brief on our industry’s situation and our recommendations.

I and our industry eagerly await your response.

Yours sincerely,

BENJAMIN MORGAN
Chief Executive - Aviation Advertiser Digital Group
Director - Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association

Telephone: (02) 8215 6292
Mobile: 0415 577 724
Email: [email protected]

Mailing Address:
PO BOX 465
Edgecliff NSW 2027
Australia.:sad:

aroa
23rd Jun 2016, 04:46
Very well done, Benjamin...as before to other pollies.

Alas with Pallyshay ( the phonetic spelling) the only growth industry in Qld is bureaucracy, additional numbers by the thousands, and a bugetary impost on the taxpayers of mega millions...probably with the idea of creating a voting bloc

Ah Queensland, good at footy but aiming to be the Greece of the Oz federation.

Anyway she has her own aircraft for State jollies.