PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue management training for 48.1

Lumps
20th Jun 2016, 01:01
Has anyone here done far down the path of writing the a fatigue management policy as per CAO 48.1 - Appendix 4 (single pilot public transport), specifically the fatigue training bit.

- I can't seem to find any reference in the legislation that requires a training syllabus be developed, but I miss a lot of stuff when reading this jargon

- For a small charter operator, that may want to depart before 7am occasionally (hence requires Appendix 4) is it enough that the Fatigue Management section in the Ops Manual is read and understood by FCM's? Rather than training, exams etc

- Yes, I am lazy. Trying to avoid unnecessary complications, recurrent training schedules for all this stuff that for small operators is of dubious benefit, if we are all honest about how much we all actually learn and put in practise from a powerpoint presentation and quick questionnaire...

havick
20th Jun 2016, 01:09
When I write the ops manual amendment for the company I was working for at the time when 48.1 first came out, CASA had a syllabus and PowerPoint you could download and cut and paste your company name into it.

The whole amendment took me perhaps three hours to write and it was all approved by the FOI the following day.

Does CASA still have the syllabus and presentation online to download? I've moved to the US earlier this year so haven't kept up to date since.

Good luck

Lumps
20th Jun 2016, 01:26
Thanks Havik, yes they do have all that stuff. I'll just copy & paste then!

If the actual CAO does not refer to having a fatigue management training program, hazard identification etc.. then where do I find this requirement? In the CASA stuff it clearly says you need it for Appendix 4, but I cannot find... CASRs?

havick
20th Jun 2016, 02:16
It was a few years ago now so to be honest I can't remember the specifics of what I wrote. What I wrote basically covered off on the requirements and referred to the CASA supplied training package and then I had a training record/sign off sheet as an appendix.

Hope this helps.