PDA

View Full Version : GA hire around Canberra - Gundaroo, Goulburn?

Alchemy101
19th Jun 2016, 02:04
Moving to Canberra for work, and (like many here) fly GA for pleasure, usually 172/182/PAIII. Currently I can drive to my local class G (regional city) airport, let myself in through the coded gate, unlock the plane and go for a fly, any time.

Last time I flew into Canberra in a light aircraft it seemed like GA isn't encouraged.

Looks like the Canberra Aeroclub has a few aircraft for hire, but with the inconvenience of paying to park the car, phoning to get through a gate (apparently prior notice required), controlled airspace and the associated costs etc, I'm wondering if there are any other options in the area for when one just wants to 'go for a fly'.

Trawling through the forum I've heard that Gundaroo has a flying club, but I can't find any details of their operations. Likewise, people say Goulburn used to be good, but is apparently now expensive due to management changes. And the last thread addressing GA hire from Canberra is now 10 years old.

So, over to PPRUNE - what's the best option in or around Canberra for private hire? Is there a best option?

Horatio Leafblower
19th Jun 2016, 03:31
Last time I flew into Canberra in a light aircraft it seemed like GA isn't encouraged.

Understated. Nice.

Alchemy101
19th Jun 2016, 11:21
Thanks - yep I'm aware of the aero club at Canberra but am hoping to find something nearby, if it exists, outside of the controlled area

gerry111
20th Jun 2016, 12:36
I think that you may need to talk to Dick Smith if you want to use Gundaroo. Note PPR in ERSA.

Duck Pilot
20th Jun 2016, 20:15
Closest nearby suitable OCTA airport would be Goulburn. What Clearedtoreenter has mentioned above is correct, the $12.50 fee is the Airservices terminal charge and the parking fees are incorporated into the hire rates. Plenty of vehicle parking available at Gate 3, pilots get access to a parking pass when they hire.

Their hire rates are very reasonable and they have a good varied fleet and a good bunch of members, who facilitate very regular social activities. Only downside is that AVGAS is expensive, compared to other airports in the region.

Canberra/Goulburn Aviation also do a fair bit of training out of Canberra.

Alchemy101
21st Jun 2016, 11:43
Thanks everyone - I'll give Canberra a go. Might give Gundaroo's ARO a call at a sensible time and see what the visiting aircraft options are :ok:

Fantome
21st Jun 2016, 12:36
If the ARO is the same bloke as ten years ago he was most amicable on the phone. He was maintaining the property and had a lot to do with the plantation of interesting trees. Did not go to Gundaroo then though. (Originally it was a property called Bowylie owned by Bedford and Molly Osborne . They allowed the Canberra Gliding Club to base themselves there. It was winch-launch. That was the place in 1968 I trained in the club's Long-wing Kookaburra . . .. sent of on first glider solo by Gary Speight who is still going strong at the Lake Keepit club.)

Alchemy101 please tell what response you get from the ARO.

Dick Smith
23rd Jun 2016, 03:50
Everyone is welcome for occasional landings at Gundaroo. Just phone Ben.

He also loves a small donation to the local volunteer bush fire brigade.

Unfortunately no circuits or training- I want to keep the locals on side!

pokeydokey
23rd Jun 2016, 05:16
Another plug for the Aero Club in Canberra - good fleet and hirers get a free carparking pass. Membership very reasonable. Gatekeepers are a very friendly bunch.

Canberra/Goulburn Aviation has a Warrior 2 available at Goulburn for hire - Welcome - Canberra Aviation (http://www.canberraaviation.com.au). Not much happening at Goulburn so the Warrior is pretty free every day except Saturdays (when everyone wants to fly it!). Their Warrior in Canberra is often booked with training but they refer people to the Aero Club for hires in Canberra in any case.

Lookleft
23rd Jun 2016, 08:51
Good to see FIM and RRJ are still getting around. Did they ever fix RRJ's chronic radio problem? ATC were going to ban that thing from doing IFR training flights as it would disappear from the radar below LSALT with no comms! I also had many interesting experiences in FIM.

Alchemy101
26th Jun 2016, 11:23
Awesome thanks guys. I'll try the aero club, and (with prior arrangement) stop by Gundaroo at some point as well. Appreciate it. :ok: