PDA

View Full Version : Wake Turbulence Category in Taxi Call?

grrowler
19th Jun 2016, 00:25
I was always of the understanding that "Heavy" or "Super" was required on first contact with approach, departures, director or tower (Jepp ATC AU-812). Somewhere along the way it has been determined that it shall also be included in the taxi call (interpretation of ATC AU-936). The wake category is shown in brackets, meaning it is optional and may be required in certain circumstances. I maintain that it is not normally required, and perhaps the statement refers to eg. situations where there is a single ground/ tower frequency.

Does anyone have further references regarding this? ATC - what do you want?

Roj approved
19th Jun 2016, 01:31
C'mon grrowler,

how else will everyone know you are a "heavy driver"???:p:O

seriously though, as usual, there are multiple Jepps references and interpretations. after 2.5 years i'm flat out remembering it at all:cool:

esreverlluf
19th Jun 2016, 01:42
Australian AIP page GEN 3.4-49, Phraseologies 5.14.4 "Taxi Procedures for departure at a controlled aerodrome" spells it out for you.

grrowler
19th Jun 2016, 01:52
Of course Roj! Reminds me of a joke - how do you know the pilot at a party? 😀
I personally add it to all radio calls, and sometimes more than once just to make sure everyone is aware. But there may be some out there who don't want to sound like tosspots on the radio 😀

grrowler
19th Jun 2016, 02:09
fullrev, with respect that doesn't really spell it out, at least not to a simple pahlit like myself. It includes many "extras" that are only required in certain circumstances (eg POB, type, location, etc, etc). There are references which clarify a lot of these requirements, and I thought there was one clarifying the use of wake turb category, but I can't find it.

esreverlluf
19th Jun 2016, 03:15
I agree - it could all be set out a whole lot more clearly - some would even argue that SMC is a tower frequency (ie the SM controller is in the tower). . . . It is all as clear as mud.

Roj approved
19th Jun 2016, 05:30
grrowler, Gold:ok::D

Capn Bloggs
19th Jun 2016, 11:22
Yes, things were simple before ICAO R/T, with it's multiplicity of square and round brackets.

Back to the "heavy/Super", I always thought the call was to remind ATC so they (ATC) considered it when separating aircraft or passing info. Not much point in me knowing it if I'm not being given self-separation on said biggy in front/crossing, or don't know where he is.

Capt Fathom
19th Jun 2016, 11:36
Ahhh Bloggs! If only you were a biggy! Then you wouldn't have to worry!

grrowler
21st Jun 2016, 06:41
So no one knows? Anyone from ATC want to have a crack? And while it's not a "biggy" for me, it is for some people, and I always love the opportunity to prove them wrong. 😜

underfire
21st Jun 2016, 07:19
fairly certain that ATC already knows your ac type on DEP.

Wake Sep is required on DEP and ARR, and as has been discussed per other threads, ATC is required to maintain wake sep when ac are under their control on ARR, and required on all DEP.

fujii
21st Jun 2016, 07:22
During my time in towers it didn't matter to me and as far as I know to anyone else. There are a number of sources of weight category available. It's on the strip, paper and electronic, displayed on the surveillance label for the target and just looking out the window. Most internationals are heavy so there is a prompt there. Although the weight category may be passed to the SMC, it isn't to the ADC. The ADC will scan available sources when deciding whether to line up/clear following aircraft.

When trainees are passing through the Learning Academy, there are enough "traps" in the simulator exercises to reinforce scanning. Once in the field the OJTI will be watching like a hawk, too much paperwork otherwise. After being rated, you possibly only ever miss a heavy once and never forget the experience.

Wake turbulence is not related to heavy aircraft only, it also applies between light and medium aircraft where the only cue is from scanning.

Capn Bloggs
21st Jun 2016, 14:01
Wake Sep is required on DEP and ARR, and as has been discussed per other threads, ATC is required to maintain wake sep when ac are under their control on ARR, and required on all DEP.
That's pretty obvious, but why the Super/Heavy call, and do you give it on taxi?

Derfred
22nd Jun 2016, 13:07
I'm only guessing here but sometimes I get a "caution jet blast" when pushing behind a heavy that's just received a taxi clearance.