PDA

View Full Version : PPRuNe Wikiposts

tail wheel
16th Jun 2016, 22:41
Hi everyone,

Have you ever wished there was a way to make a thread full of great information into a "master" thread, where all the best bits from the posts in the thread were collected right at the top for easy understanding?

Did you ever see a really amazing thread with a great first post -- only to realize that the information in the first post was out of date, and nobody could update it?

Enter today's brand new PPRuNe feature, the Wikipost.

What's a Wikipost?

It's an additional section that can be activated for any thread on the forum. This section sits at the top of the thread, compressed into an inch or two of text that can be expanded by clicking a "+".

(There's one in this thread!)

Once expanded, the Wikipost can be read by anyone.

But what's IN the Wikipost, you ask?

Whatever you want.

Essentially, this feature was created as a way to make a "knowledge drop" at the top of a megathread. It is an *editable* chunk of text that can be formatted, changed, edited, etc. until it becomes the definitive source of information on a topic. Just like a mini Wikipedia.

Who can edit them?

A user must have 90 posts AND be on the forum for 90 days before they get create/edit permissions for Wikiposts. This keeps the vandals and spammers away from Wikiposts. Each Wikipost has a HISTORY and the ability to REVERT any bad edit made to it.

When a thread has a Wikipost added to it, you'll know it because in the forum thread list it will have a little blue "WIKI" next to the title; also you can find all the wikis on PP by clicking the "Wikiposts" link in the menu bar at the top center of every page.

As to how they will get used on PP? That will be up to you.

To add a Wikipost to a thread, go to:

* CREATE WIKIPOST.

(if one is already there, you will not see this option)

Use Wikiposts wisely!! :=

Kelly Slater
16th Jun 2016, 23:07
Where is the "+" in this thread?

tail wheel
16th Jun 2016, 23:50
Ah, trick question......... :E

Top right corner of the Wiki box you will see a "-".

Click on that and the Wikibox disappears to be replaced with a blue band with "+" in a box at the right hand end.

Flying Binghi
16th Jun 2016, 23:57
Hmmm... wonder how long before it turns out like the corrupted wikipedia..:hmm:

Stanwell
17th Jun 2016, 00:02
Fascinating, Taily.

My interest is piqued - There's an enormous amount of information been posted on PPRuNe over the years and researching topics using the normal 'search' function can require a deal of patience and endurance.

To kick things off, would it be possible to give a pro-forma example of how it might work on here?

tail wheel
17th Jun 2016, 03:41
Frankly Stanwell, I have no idea......... :}

It seems to be a space where one can itemise the important points in a thread? Of course, others (who qualify) can edit or add to anything previously posted in the Wiki window.

My post above is almost an exact copy of the advice I received from the site owner's Administrators.

Now you know as much as me - which really is not much at all....... :sad: