PDA

View Full Version : Additional ratings (Night VFR) on your own aircraft.

Pterois Volitans
15th Jun 2016, 04:43
Planning on doing my night VFR rating on my friends aircraft, however I have been informed by a flight school that this is not possible as the aircraft is maintained under a private category. The aircraft is certified for night VFR flights.
Can anyone advise as to whether this is correct? And if so were is it stated. Is there also a recommended text book for night VFR.
Thanks

LeadSled
15th Jun 2016, 05:10
PV,
There is no legal CASA reason why you can't use you own aircraft for any training -- provided you have a "legal" aircraft.
This is an excuse for you to shell big $$$ on hiring the school aircraft ---- "insurance", "OH&S" and other imaginative excuses are also heard, but the bottom line is always the same, pay 'm more money.
Look around for another source to do the training.
Tootle pip!!

Munz
15th Jun 2016, 05:15
Flight training is considered airwork, therefore the aircraft can only legally conduct flight training if the aircraft is maintained to an airwork standard

peterc005
15th Jun 2016, 05:19
People get training in their own Experimental Category planes, why the problem with Private?

Changing from Private to Airwork might be just a matter of getting the LAME to write it up on the Maintenance Release.

Nomde plume
15th Jun 2016, 06:57
You can do flying training in a private category aircraft provided you are the owner of the aircraft. The same way you can own a private category aircraft and pay someone to fly you around in it for your own business.

LeadSled
15th Jun 2016, 08:11
Muntz,
Looks like you are outvoted.
Notwithstanding flying training is aerial work, owners of an aircraft have always been able to have training and checking in their own aircraft.
Indeed, I can thinks of a number of instances where those who are conducting training and checking do not have such an aircraft "on line", the only aircraft available is the owner's personal aircraft.
Think various SA226, AC690-695-G1000, B90/200/250/350 etc.
Tootle pip!!

On eyre
15th Jun 2016, 08:24
But the OP states it is"his friends aircraft" he is going to use not his own !!

Supermouse3
15th Jun 2016, 08:24
i did most of my NVFR rating in a family members aircraft..
just the test was done in a hire aircraft..
also finished the 10 or whatever IFR hours (for pre-commercial) in the same aircraft..

also, i believe 'upgrading' to airwork cat requires an extinguisher for the sign off..

mostlytossas
17th Jun 2016, 01:34
I did my NVFR rating years ago in a mates private aircraft. I also belong to a syndicate that members regularly do "advanced training " (code for non abinitio)in. Just ensure the insurance covers such activities.

LexAir
17th Jun 2016, 06:58
Perhaps you could all take a look at CAR 2(6) & 2(7)(d) and, in particular, 2(7)(d)(vii), which explicitly excludes flying training conducted under a Part 141/142 organisation from being included in Private operations.
In summary, if the training requires a Part 141/142 Certificate then the aircraft must be classified as Aerial Work.

LeadSled
17th Jun 2016, 09:53
LexAir,
IF that is a correct and TOTAL regulatory coverage of the "new" situation, that is yet another unintended consequence of the whole Part 61/141/142 debacle.

In fact, it can't be, unless CASA intend to ban any flying training on CASR 21.191 aircraft, and I have heard/seen no suggestion of that, it has not been a subject of discussion by the relevant sub-committee of the full CASA SCC.

But given the shambles, who would know what the TOTAL regulatory outcome is, in this case.

Tootle pip!!

gassed budgie
17th Jun 2016, 11:14
Perhaps you could all take a look at CAR 2(6) & 2(7)(d) and, in particular, 2(7)(d)(vii), which explicitly excludes flying training conducted under a Part 141/142 organisation from being included in Private operations.
In summary, if the training requires a Part 141/142 Certificate then the aircraft must be classified as Aerial Work

Something else to think about LexAir. A primary category aircraft (CASR Part 26) must be a single engined aircraft powered by a normally aspirated engine with a stalling speed of less than 61 kts Vso, a max takeoff weight of less than 1225 kg's, a seating capacity of less than 4 people with an unpressurised cabin.

My 172 qualifies as a primary category aircraft. CAR 262AQ(2)(b) states that a primary category aircraft maybe used for flying training.

LexAir
17th Jun 2016, 23:43
I would strongly advise any individual wishing to undertake flight training (either delivering or receiving), as defined by CASR 141.015 or 142.015 in a "Private" category aircraft, to seek professional legal advice from an aviation trained lawyer.