PDA

View Full Version : Places to eat and fly-in camps in QLD & Northern NSW

Beef Noodle
15th Jun 2016, 04:25
Hey all,

I see so many cool videos of Canadians and Americans flying to an airport that has a cafe at it to build hours and grab a nice meal before flying back. They also seem to have heaps of fly-ins where you camp next to your plane and have a good time with friends. Both of these sound like awesome activities to build hours towards my CPL. I've tried to find similar things to do in Australia (Specifically QLD/NSW as I'm based in Brisbane) but there doesn't seem to be any. The only airports I can find with cafe's are the big international ones which isn't really what I'm after... those landing fees $$. Does anyone know of good places to go to get a burger?

BN

Sunfish
15th Jun 2016, 22:51
Not allowed in Australia. CASA does their best to suppress aviation in this country. Look at all those grass strips and camping areas in American national parks and drool.

…or look closer to home in NZ, how many Australian regulations does landing on a mountain ridge in a national park breach?:

http://www.zenithair.com/stolch701/2011/nz-mountains.jpg

aroa
15th Jun 2016, 23:26
Lava tubes. sw of Mt Surprise. Airstrip, Camping, Eatery and other accommodation.
Tubes are pretty special too.

Cobold Gorge nr Georgetown similar set up I believe.

spinex
15th Jun 2016, 23:32
John Gilpin, who has flown to all manner of interesting places in Aus, started a googlemaps resource to cover this. Far as I know it is still periodically updated;https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1HDxCTbbdJ7DiSSakAVEBsIzGCrg&hl=en_US

Beef Noodle
16th Jun 2016, 00:09
Nice! I'll have to go check out the lava tubes. I plan on doing a multi-day trip to cairns to see family anyway, might fly back via the tubes. That map also looks like a good guide!

BN

outnabout
16th Jun 2016, 00:26
Karumba - bit of a trek into town, but worth it for lunch on the verandah of the pub.
Adel's Grove / Lawn Hill National Park.
Undarra Lava Tubes - will need pickup.
Charleville - well worth a visit. Time it for race day, and you'll have a ball. Refueller is an absolute gem (his hats bigger n he is)
Hughenden - an octagonal pool table at the pub, if memory serves me correctly. Give the re-fueller a bit of notice, he is also the local general storekeeper.
I have heard good things about Windorah, but never been.

aroa
16th Jun 2016, 00:51
Further up the Cape than Mulgrave Stn, Moreton Telegraph Stn strip is right near the camp ground. Lockhart , Weipa, Bamaga and Horn ..all RPT ports....no joy there.

If you have balloon tyres or not, there is a beach south of Logan Jack Creek that you could land a Jumbo on, when the tides are low. Abt 2k x 1/2 k
Was marked on WW2 maps as 'Orford Bay strip'.
But you must have yr fuel emergency at a lowish tide !.
Numerous P 39s and P 40s landed on various beaches on the east coast during transit to the war, but all succumbed to the tides.

BN Fuel and parking at YMBA. Van park and camping within walking distance YATH

Omega471
16th Jun 2016, 07:44
I agree with Outnabout.

Karumba was my favourite destination in FNQ. The Barra burgers there are to die for.

I've also over nighters at Adels Grove. The cabins were very comfortable and the staff very welcoming.

If you find yourself up that way, Koowanyama for fuel is worth a drop in. The community bakery rivals anything in Melbourne!!! But I wouldn't over night!!

Cheers Omega

Further up the Cape than Mulgrave Stn, Moreton Telegraph Stn strip is right near the camp ground. Lockhart , Weipa, Bamaga and Horn ..all RPT ports....no joy there.

If you have balloon tyres or not, there is a beach south of Logan Jack Creek that you could land a Jumbo on, when the tides are low. Abt 2k x 1/2 k
Was marked on WW2 maps as 'Orford Bay strip'.
But you must have yr fuel emergency at a lowish tide !.
Numerous P 39s and P 40s landed on various beaches on the east coast during transit to the war, but all succumbed to the tides.

BN Fuel and parking at YMBA. Van park and camping within walking distance YATH

truthinbeer
16th Jun 2016, 08:24
If you find yourself up that way, Koowanyama for fuel is worth a drop in. The community bakery rivals anything in Melbourne!!! But I wouldn't over night!!

Because you must be home before dark? If not why?

Cuban Eight
16th Jun 2016, 10:48
I'm sure there are plenty more options around but these are a few that I have on either my "to-do" or "done" list!

Murwillumbah (YMUR) is pretty and a short trip to town for a meal.
Heck Field (YHEC) has a club house with food and accomodation if you ring them up.
Gympie (YGYM) has an aero club with accomodation (at least it did in ~2014?).
If you're curious about soaring, I'd recommend visiting Lake Keepit or Kingaroy and you can also stay in their club houses, meet fellow aviators and join them for a meal at the field.
Dunwich (YDUN) may let you camp at the field (not sure) but definitely worth the trip for their monthly breakfast anyway.
Orchid Beach (YORC) airstrip on Fraser Island is a stellar camping trip with amenities nearby.
The Burnett Flyers group have regular camp-in breakfasts at their various fields around SEQ, worth checking out (see burnettflyers.org)
Cherrabah (YCHB) is kept by the adjacent homestead/bed & breakfast. They have a camping area, dam, activities, etc.

aroa
16th Jun 2016, 10:56
Add.. Fuel at YATH too

Better get the latest on landing charges, fuel costs and gate fee at Kowanyama. There's been an earlier PP thread giving horror stories in the wallet department there.

Things may have changed, hopefully.

aroa
16th Jun 2016, 10:58
There's a beaut bakery in Bamaga as well. But a days walk from the field !