PDA

View Full Version : new engineer looking at middle east

Coolaid
14th Jun 2016, 22:28
Hey everybody,

I also posted this on rotor heads but didn't get much info.

I'm a Canadian apprentice (m1 AME, helicopters) but I'll be licensed in less than a month. I'm looking into exploring the international community, and I've heard good things about Dubai. If there's anybody that has had any experience with Abu Dhabi air or any other company I'd really appreciate the feedback.

As is I'm looking for a place that I can bring my wife and child and make some good coin (in comparison to here) without being in a dangerous place. So if you guys have any other suggestions besides Dubai I'd be glad to hear them too!

Thanks!

TinyTim2
17th Jun 2016, 07:27
Hi mate ,
The middle East was great for me , but not everyone felt the same way . It is VERY hot in the summer and the laws can be very strict , liberal but strict !
The money is good , the lifestyle is good , but you may struggle as the normally only take Licensed guys with 2 years certifying experience .

Good luck !

TURIN
17th Jun 2016, 08:34
Doha in Qatar seems quite open. Lots of helicopters too for the gas rigs.
(I have no idea what remuneration packages are like)

Lear_doctor
23rd Jun 2016, 13:06
I work in Dubai (and have for the last 5 years). Really like it a lot, its a great place to live. As pointed out it gets hot in the summer, but most of the year the sun shines and its pretty nice. There are some reasonably strict laws, but the up side there is no violence and theft etc. (I'm sure there must be tiny amounts, but I have not personally seen any). That does not mean there is no drinking, I assure you there is ! :-)

The firm I work for is looking for a licensed B2 engineer. If you have a B2 Bombardier type rating and fancy a change of scenery send me a PM and I will give you the details. Note please don't bother if you don't meet that criteria, its the minimum requirement.

regards

The Doc

Coolaid
24th Jun 2016, 02:30
Thanks for the tips guys! Unfortunately I have no B2 rating but thanks for suggesting anyways. What are the chances of getting sent on a type course as a new engineer? Also, I hear pay is good but it's hard for me to relate to, anything 60k and up is 'good' right now! I obviously know there's no magic number but is there any sort of a range I should be looking forward to? I just really have no idea.

plhought
9th Jul 2016, 22:43
Coolaid -

Regional1 out of Calgary has a contract coming up with a CRJ in Dubai. Give them an email see if you can jump on.

Unfortunately, not having course on the type may limit your horizons at the moment.

piggybank
15th Jul 2016, 23:17
Coolaid, without doubt Dubai would be the best choice. ADA would be good for experience but if paying your own accommodation the cost may be steep. Have a look at airmech dot co dot uk its an old site but has info that may be of use.