PDA

View Full Version : used S Tec installation

JandakotJester
14th Jun 2016, 17:12
If you want to install a 2nd hand autopilot into your reg'd aeroplane, S Tec, now Genesys, insist on the cert. aircraft owner buying the installation instructions from a S Tec dealer and on that dealer doing the installation.

Seems a hefty price for a photocopied set of plans. And what if said authorised S Tec dealer is a 14 hour flight away ?

Does anyone know of another way to get an S Tec 30 certified installed into a VH registered Cessna 210 ?

Kiwiconehead
18th Jun 2016, 00:22
Where are you?

There are several dealers listed in Perth.

S-TEC are reluctant to sell just the STC without selling the gear as well.

Maybe another option is an EO for installation, won't be cheap.

CAR42ZE
20th Jun 2016, 03:26
You're in Jandakot? Go to a local Part21M and get an EO. There would be several who would have done generic fittings of basic APs before, it should be a walk in the park for them to get it approved for your machine.

Still expensive, but it sounds easier than finding a Genesys approved person.

JandakotJester
20th Jun 2016, 03:34
EO quoted at AUD $3000, (excludes installation labour cost) vs S Tec approved dealer at USD $7895 (includes installation labour cost bridles and a few bits of hardware but not the S Tec system itself).

Too close to call ?

CAR42ZE
21st Jun 2016, 02:00
I must admit I had to google that specific AP because I've never installed one before - but I wouldn't envision thousands of dollars in install costs. A head unit and a few servos following the EO installation details isn't a difficult job. It also depends on dash access (i.e., do you have a blank in the dash already), servo positioning mounts, etc. Did your second hand system come out of another 210 complete with looms, mounts, etc?

It could be a close call - but have a word with your LAME before you flick the switch either way.

JandakotJester
22nd Jun 2016, 07:29
thx CAR42ZE, the beauty of the S Tec 30 is that it sits wholly in the Turn co-ord, so no extra panel space is needed...... a few magic boxes with smoke in them sit elsewhere around the aircraft.