PDA

View Full Version : 32 hours..

John Hill
13th Jun 2016, 18:43
It was 32hours since I entered one terminal building until I stepped out of another into the sunlight on the other side of the world, 32 hours and countless meals I did not really need and movies I would never usually watch but it has all been worth it.

My purpose of the trip was to visit old friends and to pay a call on a fellow who has a Mig17 in his barn just like the one we have in our aeroplane shed. He also has an extensive collection of stuff we do not have and from which he cheerfully filled a small carton with instruments and such like plus technical documentation in the English language.

ETOPS
13th Jun 2016, 21:45
to pay a call on a fellow who has a Mig17 in his barn

I thought everyone in North Korea had one of those? But wait a minute - 32 hours to get from Un-Zed to Kim land - what were you flying in?

http://www.henrytenby.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/IMG_7525-1024x682.jpg

John Hill
14th Jun 2016, 20:19
Thank you for your kind and considered input.

Loose rivets
14th Jun 2016, 23:31
I'm sure that if I had a serviceable jet fighter strapped to my backside, I would not be able to resist taking it into the air. How many times has the Lightning been spooled up on the end of a runway? I'd just say the brakes failed, or my limbs were taken over by an alien force, but into the air I'd go.

Some nice pictures in here. They really show what's involved in the maintenance.

http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/maintaining-vintage-a-russian-mig-17-is-ridiculously-co-1676509391

G-CPTN
14th Jun 2016, 23:44
I'm sure that if I had a serviceable jet fighter strapped to my backside, I would not be able to resist taking it into the air. How many times has the Lightning been spooled up on the end of a runway? I'd just say the brakes failed, or my limbs were taken over by an alien force, but into the air I'd go.
Bruntingthorpe had an inadvertent 'take off' of a Victor on a fast taxi.

n3HaeYVlBw8

TGjPu6DPzWU

chuks
15th Jun 2016, 05:08
John, when you disappeared like that from Jet Blast we thought that you'd been abducted to run a terrapin farm in North Korea! Next time, tell us when you are dropping out!