View Full Version : Movie: The Sound Barrier

Genghis the Engineer
11th Jun 2016, 21:17
0115 tonight, UK Freesat channel 306.

Just thought I'd mention it.

G

joy ride
12th Jun 2016, 06:58
Missed it! I do have it on VHS but can rarely be bothered to plug in my old video player.
Earlier on I did watch a programme about 1950s Fighters on Movies for Men.

ORAC
12th Jun 2016, 08:36
Just remember - reverse the controls (and never, ever, cross the beams) :)

chevvron
17th Jun 2016, 03:19
Airfield shots mostly at Chilbolton. The Vickers Flight Shed is still in use as a barn I think.

joy ride
17th Jun 2016, 06:42
Thanks chevvron, I always wondered where that was!

Allan Lupton
17th Jun 2016, 08:29
Factory interiors were mainly de Havilland, Hatfield (characteristic islands of offices in an assembly space) and I think I remember the boss man's office was the Old Flying School there.
Long time since I saw the film, but we had a showing at RAeS Hatfield Branch because of the DH locations.

pulse1
17th Jun 2016, 09:07
And a Vampire T11 could fly non stop to Egypt in those days!

treadigraph
17th Jun 2016, 11:47
Nice cameo appearance by John Cunningham with the Comet - anyone else?

Got it on DVD a few years ago, will try and unearth it and watch it again tomorrow night.

Genghis the Engineer
17th Jun 2016, 13:49
I know Chilbolton well, but didn't twig that, I'll re-check.

The particular satellite channel incidentally is showing some quite interesting old movies from time to time, some of them aviation related. I caught "Conflict of wings" a few weeks ago which was extremely interesting for the old RAF footage and very high quality.

G

Alan Baker
17th Jun 2016, 15:12
This movie is a favourite of mine but I am always amused by the flight to Cairo bit. Nigel Patrick's character, Tony, says that he is delivering a Vampire "for de Havillands", but in spite of taking his pregnant wife with him, admits when he gets there that he has no idea how they are going to get back! When John Justin's Phillip suggests cadging a lift on the Comet, Tony says "no, rival company", but he has delivered the Vampire to Cairo for that company! No wonder Ralph Richardson tell his chief designer that "Tony hasn't got it up there" (tapping his head).

T-21
17th Jun 2016, 17:12
The actors used a hotel in Stockbridge.

Genghis the Engineer
17th Jun 2016, 17:15
I think this was some time before most test pilots had a couple of degrees and a year at Test Pilot School !

G

chevvron
18th Jun 2016, 00:23
I know Chilbolton well, but didn't twig that, I'll re-check.

G

The present day Chilbolton is about half a mile south of the original.

Genghis the Engineer
18th Jun 2016, 02:43
The present day Chilbolton airfield is on the site of the playing fields of the original military airfield, the present day Chilbolton observatory (actually a research weather radar) is about on the intersection of the two largest military runways, now pulled up but still visible from the air.

G

BEagle
18th Jun 2016, 08:02
In fact WP232, the Vampire shown in the film, was a Vampire night fighter, as Nigel Patrick's character states when he arrives at 'Cairo' - it is portrayed as a Ridgefield aircraft in the movie. Hence the Comet was indeed being flown by a 'rival company'.

Egypt actually ordered 12 Vampire night fighters, but the order was blocked by the government, so the aircraft were acquired for the RAF as the Vampire NF10. When shown in the film, the aircraft was flown by 25 Sqn at RAF West Malling, remaining in service until replaced by the Meteor NF11 in 1953.

Flying early jets in the Garden of England must have been a great time to have been in the RAF; 25 Sqn later moved to Tangmere - another delightful location!

chevvron
18th Jun 2016, 08:49
The present day Chilbolton airfield is on the site of the playing fields of the original military airfield, the present day Chilbolton observatory (actually a research weather radar) is about on the intersection of the two largest military runways, now pulled up but still visible from the air.

G
I always thought it was SATCOM!!