PDA

View Full Version : Carrier bags.

RedhillPhil
11th Jun 2016, 18:00
An thought has struck me. This 5p for a carrier bag charge in shops - how is it monitored and by whom? Who and how is the collecting of the 5p charge carried out?

cavortingcheetah
11th Jun 2016, 18:18
You can have a look here and then perhaps hypothesise how much of tax payers' funds is being spent on regulating, monitoring and enforcing this scheme.https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities

ShyTorque
11th Jun 2016, 19:39
Our local shop recently got a new manager who appears to charge automatically for a carrier bag unless you opt out before he rings it through. My wife has got caught by this twice recently, she always takes her own bags with her.

If he tries this again i'm going to ask to see his records, including information on where the received extra revenue is going. I suspect I already know.......

cavortingcheetah
11th Jun 2016, 20:10
Somewhere in all the blurb I think there's a minimum specification for the size and thickness of the bags below which a charge cannot be levied. Britain doesn't really seem to need the EU to make life a morass of regulatory complexity. Down in Africa of course, we have people to carry the shopping for us. We don't pay for those at all and that's in spite of what you might possibly read had you a copy of the Guardian rolled up under your Coker to keep the rain out.

MG23
11th Jun 2016, 23:36
Local store tried that here. Lasted about three months before they lost enough customers to realize it was a bloody stupid idea.

RedhillPhil
12th Jun 2016, 00:10
You can have a look here and then perhaps hypothesise how much of tax payers' funds is being spent on regulating, monitoring and enforcing this scheme.https://www.gov.uk/guidance/carrier-bag-charges-retailers-responsibilities

'kin 'ell. As if a shopkeeper doesn't have enough to do already. What would Arkwright make of all this (when he wasn't fantasising about Gladys Emmanuel's m-m-m-mountains of the m-moon?)

timgill
12th Jun 2016, 09:04
The cupboard under my sink is currently worth 69.75

gemma10
12th Jun 2016, 09:29
The problem now is that because we decline to buy bags and use the so called "bag for life", we dont have any plastic left to pick up the dog poo.

chevvron
12th Jun 2016, 09:47
'kin 'ell. As if a shopkeeper doesn't have enough to do already. What would Arkwright make of all this (when he wasn't fantasising about Gladys Emmanuel's m-m-m-mountains of the m-moon?)
Arkwright used paper bags, which is what stores should do nowadays.

VnV2178B
12th Jun 2016, 09:49
If they are 'bags for life' I reckon Ihave enough to make me need to live to 200

Fareastdriver
12th Jun 2016, 10:11
Arkwright used paper bags

In Scotland you get bounced for paper bags as well, Even McDonalds charge you for the paper carrier bag with handles.

vulcanised
12th Jun 2016, 12:46
I reckon the 5p should go towards a fund for the checkout staff.

vctenderness
12th Jun 2016, 13:35
It never ceases to amaze and annoy me how this country takes everything to extremes.

This carrier bag lark was started in Germany and it was literally for supermarket carrier bags.

We introduce it and suddenly you go into a department store buy a suit and shirt along with tie and they shove it across the counter at you!

I recently bought a pile of bedding and this is exactly what happened you were never supposed to bring your own bags when buying larger items.

On a recent trip to Germany I purchased clothing etc in stores and in every case a bag was provided.

Ancient Observer
12th Jun 2016, 13:36
Fork Andles.

Do you not get a bag with Fork Andles?

Martin the Martian
12th Jun 2016, 19:20
True story:

Not long after the charge was introduced I was in the local fruit and veg shop waiting to pay for my purchases when the assistant asked the customer in front of me if he wanted a carrier bag to put his items in.

"Do I have to pay for it?"

"No, we aren't a big enough company for that." (nb -though they do charge now, the naughty people)

The customer accepted the offer of a bag, and then proceeded to bang on about how the supermarkets make you pay for bags with their name emblazoned across the front. "You're paying them money just to advertise them. F***ing disgusting, it is!"

And he picked up his bag and turned to leave, allowing me to catch sight of the words 'Superdry Japan' plastered across the front of his sweatshirt.

Oh, the irony...

alwayzinit
12th Jun 2016, 20:00
Love the big brown bags in the States. Made from recycled paper, to be recycled again. Also are brilliant for ashes from the fire place, poop and pack lunches, though not at the same time!!:eek:
Funny how the original is so much better than the replacement.

meadowrun
13th Jun 2016, 02:38
Bags still free here (for now).
The Safeway bag carries their advertising and a big "proudly Canadian" thing.
in smaller letters at the bottom it reads "Made in USA"

Krystal n chips
13th Jun 2016, 06:19
Only in the UK could a carrier bag become a class status symbol....

Lost count of the times I have seen shoppers in Aldi / Lidl carefuly stuffing their purchases into bags marked, erm, "Harrods" or " Marks and Sparks"....after all, one has to keep up appearances for the neighbours....

wiggy
13th Jun 2016, 07:24
Britain doesn't really seem to need the EU to make life a morass of regulatory complexity.

Agreed, but you try telling some people that...:oh:

Where we are in Euroland most of the shops (even the big supermarkets) have pretty much stopped providing carrier bags...at all, so you'd better make sure you've got your "bag for life"...

Until you get the hang of it that can led to all sorts of embarrassment, such as pitching up at the check out of your local Brico with a store basket loaded with several dozen PVC widgets or aluminium flange sprockets and expecting to get a plastic bag...:\

cdtaylor_nats
13th Jun 2016, 07:39
If you don't think the charge is a good idea just look at the trees and hedges. No more decaying bags fluttering in the wind, and all it costs is remembering a shopping bag.

PDR1
13th Jun 2016, 07:59
As I understand it the UK tax isn't intended to be passed on - the shops don't pay it to the treasury but it is suggested that they may wish to donate it to a charity. So asking the shops what they do with the money isn't going to be that productive.

Personally I don't see what the problem is. Since the new law the supermarket bags (in sainsburys and waitrose) have become more substantial & durable. I just keep a couple of dozen on the boot of the car for when I go shopping. If I forget to bring them in for the odd item, well 20p for a few bags is hardly going to bankrupt me.

PDR

ATNotts
13th Jun 2016, 08:02
If you don't think the charge is a good idea just look at the trees and hedges. No more decaying bags fluttering in the wind, and all it costs is remembering a shopping bag.
Not entirely eradicated, but most of the plastic is now carelessly disposed of by farmers, from whom you might expect a higher standard or environmental awareness, and road hauliers and logistics companies which wrapping that has come detached from goods in transit.

It is still staggering how little roadside litter there is on roads in northern Europe, compared with UK. Are we just bigger litter louts, or do others spend more on cleaning up their environments?

Metro man
13th Jun 2016, 08:46
Some third world countries are more advanced when it comes to plastic bags, they do the right thing and ban them. In India the state of Uttar Pradesh prohibits their use. Developed countries have better waste disposal facilities and are able to collect and recycle, or otherwise remove them, where as developing countries can't and end up with them all over the place.

There is a form of biodegradable plastic which should be mandatory for all uses where it is suitable. Shopping in an Indian supermarket I found thosi mix in biodegradable plastic and environmentally friendly carrier bags at the till.

yellowtriumph
13th Jun 2016, 09:50
Love the big brown bags in the States. Made from recycled paper, to be recycled again. Also are brilliant for ashes from the fire place, poop and pack lunches, though not at the same time!!:eek:
Funny how the original is so much better than the replacement.
Would you mind explaining the 'poop and pack lunches' to me? I understand you're talking about two different activities, but are you suggesting in the US people 'go' behind hedges? Maybe to save on their water utility bills? Collecting dog poo?

Sorry to lower the tone but I must know!

Carry0nLuggage
13th Jun 2016, 10:20
Even at 5p they are way cheaper than pedal bin liners. Just make sure you check for holes first :=:sad:

Reduce, recycle and reuse and all that.