PDA

View Full Version : Trooping the colour

NWSRG
11th Jun 2016, 11:25
Is it only me that is watching today's event, and thinking that the standard of drill is not what it used to be?

PAXfips
11th Jun 2016, 11:49
Watching, but cannot really compare.

German commentary quite bad :(

Everbody having a nice picnic tomorrow!

gunbus
11th Jun 2016, 15:15
PAXfips,

Sorry about that, but unless we vote out of the hellfire club on the 23rd by next year it will be broadcast in German only and in five year max, Arabic

Cazalet33
11th Jun 2016, 20:39
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/E8B6/production/_89947595_033405173-1.jpg

P'raps this is one for the MilForum caption competition?

Or mebbe a new thread for JB?

Llademos
11th Jun 2016, 20:56
Planking, next level

ETOPS
11th Jun 2016, 21:13
Try watching this shower...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Royalguards_copenhagen_pazdziora.JPG

Makes even our slightly reduced standards look marvellous.

VP959
11th Jun 2016, 21:14
Is it only me that is watching today's event, and thinking that the standard of drill is not what it used to be?
Sadly, I thought the same thing, and also thought that the fit and finish of their uniforms was not as good as it had been in the past. It looked very much as if there had been pretty severe budget cuts in the uniform department.

The fly past was so embarrassing (with the sole exception of BBMF) that they would have been better off not doing it, IMHO. I don't remember the 1953 coronation flypast, although I've been assured that I was in a carry cot, outside the Buckingham Palace fence, looking upwards at the time. However, I listened with interest and pride to my late father in law tell of the logistics of organising hundreds of aircraft at holding points, all timed to fly over the palace in sequence, with fuel management and the subsequent dispersal to many airfields to get all the aircraft safely down in time being a major headache (he was leading a flight of Meteors - I have a recording of it and the air seemed black with aircraft).

Donkey497
12th Jun 2016, 01:40
Currently over in Muskoka for some severely needed R&R and have just seen the CBC coverage of it, limited tough it was.

I think the telling point for me was the "Dress left and right" command. Initially the ranks were very poorly spaced and the rear ranks seemed to need between one and four paces to get sort of back to a consistent spacing, before dressing. After dressing, the rear rank seemed to straighten more effectively towards the right of the line, but the left of the line just seemed not to have bothered. In previous years you could have used the lines as a straight edge, but this year it looked more like the oil price or FT100 index.

This year's report card is definitely a "Can do better".

Lantern10
12th Jun 2016, 04:10
The 1953 coronation flypast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOD3gmcVQlI

tu chan go
12th Jun 2016, 04:58
I watched it with pride and honour! Its still a lot better than anything else I've seen around the world. I particularly liked the comment regarding the "Spinwheel" - the complicated manoeuvre to turn the massed bands around without changing the formation.

Quote "The instructions for this manoeuvre are not written down anywhere" Unquote

Perhaps the cut and fit of the uniforms has something to do with the fact that there is no height limit anymore to be in the Guards. As far as I can tell you used to have to be 6 foot plus

parabellum
12th Jun 2016, 06:04
Re height limit, is used to be 5'9" for the foot guards but 6' plus for Queen's Company Grenadiers.

Shame about the uniforms, no doubt some bean counter in the MOD has outsourced the tailoring, if they have then a far cry from the days when each battalion had its own Regimental Tailor.

modtinbasher
12th Jun 2016, 08:25
Are the uniform trousers meant to be so sloppy and floppy, and I'm sure they've been a bit longer in days past. Or is it a "one size fits all" concept?

Fark'n'ell
12th Jun 2016, 08:46
Re:#6.
Scruffy looking lot aren't they.

Howard Hughes
12th Jun 2016, 09:32
Looks like a bunch of scrotes wearing uniforms they bought for ten quid at the fancy dress store. Was this taken at comic con?

Scratch that I'm pretty sure they'd have better uniforms at comic con!;)

Groundgripper
12th Jun 2016, 10:10
The 1953 coronation flypast

I remember watching that on the TV and then stampeding outside with my cousins to see large parts of it come over the house in North London.

Re the height of the Guards, I noticed that after the procession back to the Palace there were two guardsmen in the archway at the front of Buck House, one looked about 6ft 6 in his stockinged feet, the other about 5ft 9 to the top of his bearskin - I commented to the wife at the time that I would have thought that they could have got a matching pair for that, not little and large. It looked really odd.

GG

Pontius Navigator
12th Jun 2016, 10:46
HH, looks like the Danes.

danish palace guards - Google Search (http://www.google.co.uk/search?sclient=tablet-gws&site=&source=hp&q=danish+palace+guards&oq=Danish+palace+gu&gs_l=tablet-gws.1.0.0.2243.14173.0.16103.18.13.1.4.4.0.134.1162.10j3.13. 0....0...1c.1j4.64.tablet-gws..0.18.1187...0i131j0i3j0i10.96bMJGqZYVI#imgrc=5Y3Tr9ixT1 qgyM%3A)

Union Jack
12th Jun 2016, 11:01
Re the height of the Guards, I noticed that after the procession back to the Palace there were two guardsmen in the archway at the front of Buck House, one looked about 6ft 6 in his stockinged feet, the other about 5ft 9 to the top of his bearskin - I commented to the wife at the time that I would have thought that they could have got a matching pair for that, not little and large. It looked really odd. - Groundgripper

"Little and Large" indeed but, so far as I am aware, there has never been a separate height restriction for Guards officers, other than as required for initial entry to the Army.

Jack

VP959
12th Jun 2016, 11:15
The 1953 coronation flypast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOD3gmcVQlI
Thanks very much for digging that video out, it's better than the short snippet I have by far. My late father in law would have been one of those pilots standing in front of the row of Meteors, and was flying one of the lead aircraft in the display.

We used to fly together a fair bit, long after he'd retired from professional flying with BA, after his RAF service, and that flypast was one of the things he remembered most clearly, with a great deal of pride.

Interesting to see the Sabres there, too, as he was detached to the USAF for a time in the 50's, flying the Sabre.

I've bookmarked that video, as I'm still in touch with a handful of his old squadron friends, all now in their late 80's, and I'm sure they will appreciate seeing this.

Tankertrashnav
12th Jun 2016, 11:32
My father who had been a Scots Guards squad instructor at the old Guards Depot in Caterham once reluctantly admitted to me that the standard of drill of the QCS was at least as good as the that of the guards (he wouldn't admit to it being better) I also have a copy of his Scots Guards magazine from 1964 with an article on drill, and the writer opens with the comment that "Old Jocks" will always say that the standard of drill is not what it used to be, so that feeling is nothing new.

I agree re uniforms. Not long before he came out of the army, my son finally got a new No 2, supposedly tailored to his measurements, and it was awful - fitted where it touched! Looks like the guards are using the same tailor.

Private jet
12th Jun 2016, 13:24
I had the opportunity to go and watch it as an "official spectator" (i.e sit down) many years ago when I was 10 or 11. I must say it was the slowest most boring 2 hours of my life. I watched a bit of it on TV this year and even now I just don't get it, precision square bashing while playing musical instruments in fancy dress. Fascinating for tourists I suppose but an insomnia cure for others!

uffington sb
12th Jun 2016, 13:36
I've always thought that the Guards uniforms are ill fitting, but
these chap and chapess's are pretty smart. Not sure about the high step before the "eyes right" though and if I were President I wouldn't want the tanks etc to turn their turrets towards me!!!

https://youtu.be/CQlZyoKY3hw