PDA

View Full Version : OBE's for Ant and Dec. Time to throw in towel?

piperboy84
11th Jun 2016, 10:58
We're finished as a country, completley and utterly knackered. We may as well let some half baked commie Euro politicians have a crack at running the place if the current powers that be in London and the Royals actually think a couple of prats of the telly merit some type of national honour and/or recognition for their "contribution" to society and country. Exactly what contribution would that be?

Where's the recognition for people that actually do something for this country and make a difference in people's lives, often lowly paid or completley unrewarded, like cops, nurses, SAR folks, service men and women, teachers, lifeboat personnel, doctors, youth volunteers, foster parents and on and on.

No wonder the Chinese and other Asians countries laugh at us. If some of those folks getting rewarded for there supposed "achievements" lived in any other country they would starve. Who's next Jedward ? That cast of Big Brother? some friggin karaoke singer? They'd be as well dishing out gongs to train spotters or Eddie Stobart spotters, at least they put a bit effort in and don't annoy anyone.

We're doomed I tell you, completely and totally doomed. We are all going to hell in a hand basket.

Seldomfitforpurpose
11th Jun 2016, 11:02
How much money each year do you raise for charity?

piperboy84
11th Jun 2016, 11:13
How much money each year do you raise for charity?

Charity? Hmm, I've got an idea how about the average working stiff doesn't get a portion of their mandatory taxes directed to overseas welfare projects by dipship politicians and also get jacked for a BBC license fee to pay those prats large salaries. How about we have no TV license fee, and only taxed enough to cover the bin men, cops, army, health and dole, the extra money left in John Q Publics pocket can be directed to a charity of THEIR choice and not somewhere at whims of the likes of Bono, BBC luvvies, or politicians. Basically let the guy that earned the money decide how charitable he wants to be and with whom.

I bet the charities would be far better off.

charliegolf
11th Jun 2016, 11:47
I don't think Ant n Dec do BBC. Notwithstanding what they do or do not raise for charity, for me they represent the pinnacle of suspension of disbelief. We are supposed to 'see' them as something special. I see them as wholly talentless and pointless.

Windy Militant
11th Jun 2016, 12:00
Ah nepotism at it's finest, Charlie boy has a word in his mums ear and his little Geordie pals get a gong!:}
Whilst the Honours list has always been a bit of a farce there are many people who do actually work for charity on the ground who get a bit of recognition.
Unfortunately Nurse Gwladys Emanuel getting an MBE for serving the community for fifty years doesn't sell newspapers.

I suspect you are a tabloid journalist working for the dirty digger on the troll and claim my ten bob. I have come to this conclusion due to the low standard of research and total lack of factual content ane fule no that Ant and Dec (he's the one on the left) work for ITV! :p

vulcanised
11th Jun 2016, 12:23
What about that gravelly voiced 'singer' then?

Martin the Martian
11th Jun 2016, 12:52
Gosh! Anta and Dec get a gong. I bet the remaining Beatles really consider that to be bad form.

piperboy84
11th Jun 2016, 13:07
Ah nepotism at it's finest, Charlie boy has a word in his mums ear and his little Geordie pals get a gong!:}
Whilst the Honours list has always been a bit of a farce there are many people who do actually work for charity on the ground who get a bit of recognition.
Unfortunately Nurse Gwladys Emanuel getting an MBE for serving the community for fifty years doesn't sell newspapers.

I suspect you are a tabloid journalist working for the dirty digger on the troll and claim my ten bob. I have come to this conclusion due to the low standard of research and total lack of factual content ane fule no that Ant and Dec (he's the one on the left) work for ITV! :p

I couldn't possibly be a journo working for neocon funding dirty digger as I just could not live with the subterfuge of telling my kids I worked as a piano player in a whore house to mask the shame of working in the fourth estate.

As for old gravelly voice, he's been given old grannies ohs and aghs and a warm and fuzzy feeling for going on half a century of self starting hard work, no karaoke singer he, that's gotta be worth something.

Effluent Man
11th Jun 2016, 13:11
To paraphrase a 60's judge.,.Who are these Geordies?

Sallyann1234
11th Jun 2016, 13:16
I agree that honours should go to deserving people who are otherwise unrecognised - not those who have made a fortune and/or been on the TV too many times.

Many recipients are totally unworthy - a good example is Dyson who is currently in the news. He made a fortune by selling plastic appliances. He closed his UK factories, sacked 560 staff and moved production to the Far East. As a reward he was given a knighthood. What's that all about?

Union Jack
11th Jun 2016, 14:16
Many recipients are totally unworthy - a good example is Dyson who is currently in the news. He made a fortune by selling plastic appliances. He closed his UK factories, sacked 560 staff and moved production to the Far East. As a reward he was given a knighthood. What's that all about? - Sallyann

It's called "Seeing the writing on the wall", not least by moving nearer to the suppliers already being used and, oh yes, it's just worth checking how many people still work at Malmesbury for Sir James, whom Sallyann may have missed being appointed to the Order of Merit in the New Year Honours 2016, and what charitable institutions he has founded and supported for many years.

So no, not really "totally unworthy" I humbly suggest.:=

Jack

PS And he sponsors Bath Rugby....:ok:

Sallyann1234
11th Jun 2016, 14:29
Yes, he's investing in development at Malmesbury, which means production has increased considerably in Malaysia. He would now be employing thousands in the UK if he'd kept production here. He's currently worth an estimated £3billion - does he need honours as well?

I suggest the Ebola Nurse Pauline Cafferkey as a far more deserving recipient.

PingDit
11th Jun 2016, 14:34
Ant & Dec have raised many millions for charity and the award is just a way of saying a big thank you on behalf of these charities:

Charities - About - Ant & Dec (http://www.officialantanddec.com/about/charities#uHBJM7kYtftZzBk3.97)

vctenderness
11th Jun 2016, 14:57
One of them, Ant I think, is married to the daughter of a retired British Airways cabin crew member.

Not that it makes any difference to the thread just thought I would put it out there!

meadowrun
11th Jun 2016, 15:13
Who?
Is this some new kiddies cartoon show?

ATNotts
11th Jun 2016, 15:50
I see the proprietor of a chippy somewhere on the Scottish islands has won a gong in this year's list.

I guess they've exhausted the supply of sub postmistresses!

Whatever, she's got to be more deserving than the usual list of luvvies, ex politicians and overpaid sports stars.

Union Jack
11th Jun 2016, 16:07
Yes, he's investing in development at Malmesbury, which means production has increased considerably in Malaysia. He would now be employing thousands in the UK if he'd kept production here. He's currently worth an estimated £3billion - does he need honours as well? - Sallyann

No of course not, no one does but, knowing the extremely reduced circumstances in which he lived whilst trying to get his business started, and what he has subsequently achieved, I suspect that he is every bit as deserving as many people who appear in any Honours List, including today's, namely https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/new-years-honours-list-2016

I suggest the Ebola Nurse Pauline Cafferkey as a far more deserving recipient.

And I suggest that, whilst I believe that you are drawing a somewhat invalid comparison, since the Honours system is a broad church as clearly indicated by the criteria listed at https://www.gov.uk/honours, you are perfectly entitled to nominate the undoubtedly very laudable Pauline Cafferkey yourself, as indicated therein.

Jack

Andy_S
11th Jun 2016, 16:53
Are we missing the point here?

Ant and Dec may be 'those prats off the TV', but they try and use their fame, justly earned or otherwise, to good ends. Which seems fair enough.

Surely our ire should be directed towards those who receive honours for simply doing their well remunerated jobs. Regardless of how well they do them. The Quangocrats, civil servants, higher echelons of the armed forces etc.....

Sue VÍtements
11th Jun 2016, 16:54
Eddie Stobart spottersIn fairness that became a lot more difficult once they changed the livery :*

chevvron
11th Jun 2016, 17:58
I don't think Ant n Dec do BBC. Notwithstanding what they do or do not raise for charity, for me they represent the pinnacle of suspension of disbelief. We are supposed to 'see' them as something special. I see them as wholly talentless and pointless.
I see them as talentless, pointless, immature and vindictive (in I'm a Celebrity).
Next thing you know, some nameless ******** will nominate J Clarkson for a gong.

Krystal n chips
11th Jun 2016, 18:04
An interesting thread, so a few possibly irreverent and possibly tongue in cheek ....lest one be accused otherwise....observations.

"Are we missing the point here?
"

Nope, not in the slightest

" Ant and Dec may be 'those prats off the TV', but they try and use their fame, justly earned or otherwise, to good ends. Which seems fair enough".

When it comes to "celebs" and charities, the principal reason for any "celeb" is that wonderful opportunity for further self promotion and the desperation to get some letters after their name....called ego boosting.

Surely our ire should be directed towards those who receive honours for simply doing their well remunerated jobs. Regardless of how well they do them. The Quangocrats, civil servants, higher echelons of the armed forces etc.....

True, in part, but then you seemed to have missed the fact the armed forces have a peasant level as well. That, and the upper echelons as you describe them are more self serving and self seeking than many "celebs",,,,the best place for many would be a retirement home in Sussex, overlooking the sea, where they could be collectively confined indefinitely away from the public.

As for the angelic faced cherubs in question, and there's another one of the same ilk waiting in the wings, have a look at the video of one Ms Susan Boyle making her audition.....note the smuglings grins vanish rapidly when the lady begins to sing.....same as those on the panel in fact.

Brian Blessed.....for what, "services to shouting and pretentious over acting when self promoting himself "...was OK as "Fancy Smith" in "Z-Cars"..but thereafter....

Rod Stewart !.....a second rate karaoke Saturday night pub singer at best....thanks to some inspired chaps at the BBC however, who used " I am sailing" as a musical score mixed with some very good shots of Phantoms and Sea Kings, suddenly became of note.

Stuart Broad..."for services to charity".....many Test teams across the world have been grateful for his charitable endeavours.....outside the off stump, outside the leg stump... and short pitched deliveries.

Dame Vera...."national treasure"....every celebs ultimate accolade and much sought after status....the Beeb have probably already prepared the news broadcast that will put Bowie to shame...and prepared five days of sombre music combined with her greatest hits for the nation to share their grief over her passing.....a State funeral may well be on the cards as well...."forces sweetheart" .....err, possibly not... given the sentiments expressed by several late members of my family who were participants across the globe.

The above may not entirely meet with universal approval on the hallowed halls of JB.....;):E

yellowtriumph
11th Jun 2016, 20:10
I've rubbed shoulders with Ant & Dec on a number of occasions. Whilst I'm not a fan, I found them to be very low key, quiet and professional at all times. I don't think they actually seek the limelight, but are experienced enough to realise its value and the benefits it can bring.

piperboy84
11th Jun 2016, 20:10
Not sure about the Ebola nurse either, sounds a bit reckless to me knowingly mixing it up with Ebola patients, perhaps she should have put them on a strict diet of pancakes and kippers instead , probably wouldn't have helped them much but at least she could slip it under there door from the safety of the street.

Cazalet33
11th Jun 2016, 20:20
Glad to see that an infamous and over-promoted bint hasn't been given an OBE (Other Bugger's Effort) for solo flying/crashing an aeroplane.

Cazalet33
11th Jun 2016, 21:11
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02213/20100512-downing-d_2213902b.jpg

WeeJeem
11th Jun 2016, 21:13
_
If I could avoid as much tax as Bary Garlow, I'd also happily "do good work for Charidee" and guiltlessly accept an OBE. It would beat working and paying taxes for a living.

What? Are you stupid? Bary Garlow? Pay something back? Don't be saft! :=

parabellum
12th Jun 2016, 07:58
Dame Vera...."national treasure"....every celebs ultimate accolade and much sought after status....the Beeb have probably already prepared the news broadcast that will put Bowie to shame...and prepared five days of sombre music combined with her greatest hits for the nation to share their grief over her passing.....a State funeral may well be on the cards as well...."forces sweetheart" .....err, possibly not... given the sentiments expressed by several late members of my family who were participants across the globe.

Think you may well find yourself in a minority there K & C, I too have/had many relatives who were in WW2 and wouldn't hear a word said against her. What has she done to upset you?

Tankertrashnav
12th Jun 2016, 12:51
Surely our ire should be directed towards those who receive honours for simply doing their well remunerated jobs.

Might I nominate Sir Philip Green as a particularly odious example of the type. Still, with any luck his gong will soon join Fred (the Shred) Goodwin's in the returns box!

Private jet
12th Jun 2016, 16:24
Politics is a branch of showbusiness, so is sport. Royalty was the original "business of show" too. Thats why politicians, sportspeople, actors etc get gongs and honours at the palace. All of the same ilk, they look after each other. It's not new either (Sir Larry Olivier for example)

Haraka
12th Jun 2016, 19:44
Sadly, I have to agree with Private Jet. All part of "Bread and Circuses " for the masses.

Cyber Bob
13th Jun 2016, 08:25
Spot on Yellow triumph. A&D are genuinely nice fella's and in 'Real Life' are both unassuming, polite and respectful. Let us remember, someone has to nominate them, they can hardly put themselves forward, can they. Want to take a pop? - why not start with the 'House of Lords' and 'Life Peerages'. 'Lady' Karen Brady, a prime example!

vctenderness
13th Jun 2016, 10:03
Here's a list of wonderful folks who now have a say over our lives due to the 'honours system'.

Lord Prescott
Lord Mandleson
Lord Kinnock
Baroness Kinnock
Lord 'Paddy' Ashdown
Lord Paddick (who he you say)
Lord Chalie Falconer

and the list goes on!:eek:

GrumpyOldFart
13th Jun 2016, 14:25
...."forces sweetheart" .....err, possibly not... given the sentiments expressed by several late members of my family who were participants across the globe.

My late father, and many other members of the Forgotten Fourteenth, referred to her as The Barking Cow. (For the sake of common decency I won't tell you how they spoke of Noel Coward.)

Tankertrashnav
13th Jun 2016, 17:14
My dad who served right through WW2 thought she was wonderful. On the other hand my father in law who also served right through couldn't stand her.

Mind you, they were both in agreement about Gracie Fields :eek:

(K & C - actually it was Buccaneers on the opening credits of "Sailor" with Sir Rod croaking away in background !)

2 sheds
13th Jun 2016, 18:50
Spike Milligan had something to say about Gracie Fields in his memoirs!

2 s