PDA

View Full Version : Excel Near Miss at LGW

brightonbeachboy
28th Jun 2002, 18:01
A few weeks ago we were on finals at LGW and the Excel aircraft in front was so off course that it had to take evasive action to stop it ploughing into the South Terminal.

I mentioned this to a colleague at Excel (cabin crew) and he enquired about the incident at work.

Excel apparently got very defensive and demoted the crew member after he refused to reveal the source of the information, which would suggest there was more to it than meets the eye.

Has anyone else heard about the incident?:confused:

pilotwolf
28th Jun 2002, 22:52
Think you will have to be more specific regarding date, time, flt number, etc to get any response.

Sure also that it will appear on the AAIB reports before long if it was that serious....

..Why have no PAX been to the press?

..Work at LGW and have heard nothing... could have been off duty I suppose...

More likely usual over-exagerated BS.

Lou Scannon
29th Jun 2002, 11:15
Every aircraft that flies into Gatwick has to manoeuvre to avoid "ploughing" into the South Terminal. Its called lining up with the runway. I suspect that the closest "Brighton" has ever been to flying is being allowed to watch an approach from a jump seat.

A300Man
29th Jun 2002, 11:47
Could I just ask someone to clarify if the "incident" was on board a B738 of Excel or a B762 lsd from Air Atlanta?

If there was a demotion of any airline crew involved whatsoever, I would guess that there must have been at least some slightest truth in the matter.

You guys are sometimes just too cynical.

brightonbeachboy
29th Jun 2002, 12:05
All I can say is that the Capt. on my flight said that he had never seen anything so hairy in his 20years of flying.

And I was researching the incident because a colleague got demoted becuase he mentioned it to management at Excel.

brightonbeachboy
29th Jun 2002, 12:21
The date of the incident was 6th June and my flght had a STA of 2330, so it must have been around that time.

Lou Scannon
29th Jun 2002, 16:56
There is an incident, years ago where a large aircraft got rather close to the terminal at LGW, but in conditions of poor vis with ILS off the air. Given that the following aircraft claimed to see all this activity, and he must have been two minutes behind the other aircraft, the vis must have been at least 4 miles. Therefore the aircraft in question should have had no difficulty in achieving and maintaining the centre line.

Sorry to bitch at "Brighton". Perhaps the aircraft simply looked as if it was way to the right of the centre line.

brightonbeachboy
29th Jun 2002, 17:41
Just repeating what the flight deck said after landing at LGW.

Don't work for XLA by any chance?

Jim Kirk
1st Jul 2002, 09:20
The a/c concered initially veered left of centreline, then immediately veered well to the right of centreline (r/w 26). The tower immediately intervened and instructed the a/c to go-around immediately.
Cloudbase was 400 feet and the a/c was seen as it broke cloud heading in the direction of the South terminal.

A and C
1st Jul 2002, 17:09
I first got wind of this story long before 6 june and there was no evidence then and I suspect that this is just a retread of the last time also without hard facts to back it up.

I am sure that if an aircraft had come that near to the terminal then ATC would have raised an MOR.