PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully a Flightradar24 enthusiast will plot ......

Standby Scum
8th Jun 2016, 21:59
Hopefully a Flightradar24 enthusiast will plot what all the Middle Eastern based executive jets are doing during Ramadan.

charliegolf
9th Jun 2016, 11:56
Presumably not being refuelled twixt dawn and dusk?

CG

Argonautical
9th Jun 2016, 11:59
Probably at airports close to the "Flesh pots of Europe" where their owners are not observing Ramadan.

sitigeltfel
9th Jun 2016, 12:30
Four Muslim players in the France football team have been given dispensation to ignore Ramadan during the Euro competition. Apparently they can defer it and make up their fasting days later in the year!

Integrated
9th Jun 2016, 12:46
You can also, if unable to fast for whatever reason, pay for the food of a person or family who needs it during ramadan. Called "fidyah". You do this for each day you miss, or anticipate missing. I reckon this would apply to those who are pilots more effectively than making up the missed fasts later on, as their job would presumably be year-round!

sirwa69
9th Jun 2016, 17:52
A mate of mine has been in Tehran this week on business. He says that the average Iranian doesn't even bother fasting.

AreOut
9th Jun 2016, 19:09
well in Tehran probably not but the more rural you go the more religious people become, that's valid not only for Iran

Tankertrashnav
11th Jun 2016, 10:45
Daughter's partner is a Muslim and he observes the Ramadan fast strictly (they live in the UK). A couple of years ago she started to observe the fast herself, even though she is an atheist, out of "solidarity" I suppose. The thing I find nuts about it is that at this time of year in Northern latitudes the fast (from dawn till dusk) is around 18 hours, meaning a very late dinner and a very early breakfast. How a Muslim living in the Arctic circle is meant to survive has never been explained to me! Re the business jets, or indeed all aircrew - this came up on another thread recently, and apparently there are concessions for when you are travelling and Muslim aircrew don't fast, as by definition they are travelling.

Integrated
11th Jun 2016, 10:48
Living in the polar regions, or places where for whatever reason the views of a sunrise and sunset is obstructed, then you must follow the times of the nearest Islamic country to where you are located.

letMfly
11th Jun 2016, 11:43
Several years ago during Ramadan in Abu Dhabi an outbound Gulf Air 737 requested immediate descent to FL100. As it descended I asked the pilot the nature of the "emergency". He sheepishly replied that they had broken out the Iftar meal to the pax, but as the aircraft climbed the sun rose above the horizon again!;)