PDA

View Full Version : 737NG Landing Gear Changes?

JT8D-17
8th Jun 2016, 15:47
I've noticed that our new 737Ng's delivered over the last 6 months or so are much smoother to land than the older aircraft. It feels like the main gear oleos have a bit more give than before and there is definitely less of an impact when we land, even when I'm expecting a controlled crash:ok:

Does anyone know if changes have already incorporated in preparation for the MAX, just like the landing lights, start levers etc.

B737900er
8th Jun 2016, 19:24
I would guess that there is more Nitrogen in the oleo, and possibly needs topping up on your older fleet.

Dougie_diesel
8th Jun 2016, 19:39
Agreement with -900.

No change as for as I know.

JT8D-17
8th Jun 2016, 21:08
It's possible but when the older aircraft were brand new we didn't notice any difference, it's definitely only on the aircraft delivered in the last 6 months or so.

RAT 5
9th Jun 2016, 08:27
This is a new one. Workmen usually blame their tools for screwing up, but here you are praising them rather than taking credit. Hm? There's nowt so queer as folk.

A and C
9th Jun 2016, 08:45
Low nitrogen pressure is likely to result in less resistance to movement and a softer ride ( untill you hit the stops ) as is low fluid quantity.

Both correct nitrogen pressure and fluid quantity are critical to maintaining tail skid clearance.

Mikehotel152
9th Jun 2016, 09:01
I'd say you're either getting better or treating your new birds with more care! ;-)

RVF750
9th Jun 2016, 12:28
SFP? it's standard now isn't it (well free so everyone takes it as an option?)

Otherwise Dunno? Oleo is oil/Air (Nitrogen) so the air is the spring and the oil is both the damping and quantity determines rising rate to the spring. During line servicing, they can't really account for oil level as this is a shop thing, so will measure extension and pressurize accordingly.

Thus as the legs "age" (or get towards shop overhaul point) the oil level lowers. Thus at any given extension, the correct pressure "adjusted" by line crew will give less of a rising rate than a new leg. Thus it will sink in a bit softer and feel better. Most types I have flown show a tendency to land smoother as the legs get towards the end of their time... my last type must have been a 5,000hr limit, as anything just over a 5,000hr total landed like a brick..

Not noticed as much on a 737 except for the new ones are screwed together a bit tighter so rattle less on impact.

RAT 5
9th Jun 2016, 14:27
Perhaps they have installed a water spray above the wheels to give you a little cushion on touchdown.

Yeelep
9th Jun 2016, 18:46
During line servicing, they can't really account for oil level as this is a shop thing, so will measure extension and pressurize accordingly.
It isn't a shop thing. A full strut fluid servicing or level check can easily be performed during a overnight RON. Heck, a full strut repack can be done on an overnight visit.

I checked the IPC for two 900ER's, one two weeks old, the other four years old. Both have the same strut assy. part numbers.

Sciolistes
9th Jun 2016, 19:02
No difference at all between new and old elements of our fleet.

A and C
9th Jun 2016, 19:18
There is a procedure that Boeing published for the B737-200 for line maintenance to check the PX/EX of the landing gear and then put a measured weight of fuel on the aircraft then re-check the PX/EX.

The result would tell you if the oil level in the leg was correct, I assume they publish the same sort of procedure for the -800.