PDA

View Full Version : Sonic boom compensation claims

Local Variation
8th Jun 2016, 15:08
Read on the BBC news site today that claims have been made by the general public in relation to damage caused from sonic booms by RAF jets.

One motorist claimed 500 for an accident based on being "startled by noise" :bored:

the_flying_cop
8th Jun 2016, 15:14
I would like to claim compensation for not hearing one. We miss all the fun over here. Some people are unbelievable.

sitigeltfel
8th Jun 2016, 16:17
One motorist claimed 500 for an accident based on being "startled by noise" :bored:

If a motorist cannot cope with a sudden noise while driving, then his/her driving licence should be immediately withdrawn.

Ancient Observer
8th Jun 2016, 16:27
500 for a boom?
This sets a terrible precedent. SWMBO would take all my loot for my farts.

G0ULI
8th Jun 2016, 18:03
The sound of freedom! Nothing to see here, move on.

ORAC
8th Jun 2016, 18:29
Controlled an F3 that did M1.3 at 200ft down Amble high street chasing an F-111. That lead to an odd claim or two.

Then there was the F3 over Arbroath at M1.3+, but we got away with that one, over 40K and blamed on weather.....

Local Variation
8th Jun 2016, 19:39
Love the irony. M1.3 down Amble (of all names) High St.

Dan Gerous
8th Jun 2016, 19:56
If a motorist cannot cope with a sudden noise while driving, then his/her driving licence should be immediately withdrawn.

I can't cope with the stress sudden aircraft noise when I'm driving. Unfortunately I have to keep an eye on the road, and not trying to see what's flying. :E

G-CPTN
8th Jun 2016, 19:58
Amble is not a large town - population 6000 . . .

ORAC
9th Jun 2016, 04:56
It's still a lot of glass..... ( and sheep, goats, cows and every other animal a farmer has had die in the last week etc).

Amble Rock was the coast-in point for entry to the low-flying system at the time. F-111 was an exercise target which popped into radar cover about 30nm offshore at 200ft. I pulled the F3 off the back of a tanker on TTL8, he buried the nose and chased. Levelled off at 200ft about 5nm astern in sea fog straining to get visual and with speed 750kts+, with the nav bleating "we're going to have to slow down" - then Amble Rock loomed out of the mist... Followed by Amble. Couldn't pull up, it would just have increased the footprint, just closed the throttle and popped the air brake and waited.

I, unlike the pilot, got away with it because the exercise instruction stated that the maximum tiarget speed was 480kts and fighter speed 550kts. Piously, therefore, I asserted in my statement, when I told him "Gate, Gate" off the tanker I expected him to remain subsonic. (And if you believe that you'll believe anything.)

Still, a kill's a kill........