PDA

View Full Version : Enthusiastic about ATC?

MrSnuggles
7th Jun 2016, 20:44
I came across the works of some enthusiasts on YouTube and realised there were differences in ATC.

I personally think this guy is really cool, but having read all complaints about non standard ATC, I started to wonder what REAL pilots would think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnHvandFtvI

I'm pretty sure this is very non standard. Is this representative of anything or is it just a personal touch? Would you as a pilot understand what he is trying to say?

Hotel Tango
7th Jun 2016, 22:25
:) Actually, although non-standard in terms of official ICAO phraseology, it's pretty much "standard" in the USA, like it or not. I think it relieves the stress of monotony ;) Should be avoided with foreigners though. Note that the controller's initial failure to slow down and give clear taxi instructions to the Turkish has the pilot hesitating which then requires the controller to repeat the instruction. Wasted TX time!

MrSnuggles
7th Jun 2016, 22:45
Hotel Tango

Thankyou, I didn't consider the wasted time with the Turkish! Very interesting! This made me think about something not so fun: Would this use of non-standard ATC be considered in case of an accident (runway incursion/collision etc)?

I mean, this guy sounds very cool and he is great to listen to when in my comfy chair, but when he makes it hard for foreign pilots to understand, would this be the "flop" part of the coin?

I do not disrespect this guy at all. Apparently he has done this for a living for many many years and I have never seen his name mentioned in relation to any accident that might have been interesting enough for us Europeans so I am confident he is professional! I am just wondering in general terms, please understand the difference!

PAXfips
7th Jun 2016, 22:50
There are plenty of those, I think JFK is the one with most of 'funny recordings', another:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgOZNUoT9L4

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Jun 2016, 08:48
It doesn't matter if one thinks it's "cool". The only way to do the job is by the use of standard R/T phraseology. Then everyone knows what is going on.

TCAS FAN
8th Jun 2016, 09:16
......and everyone at international airports speaks one language, English, so that all pilots are aware of what is going on around them. Can only hope that 14th July will bring a new Revolution in France and repeal the current law requiring French pilots to speak French - Scandinavia and Germany can show them how it is done!

+TSRA
8th Jun 2016, 16:52
It doesn't matter if one thinks it's "cool". The only way to do the job is by the use of standard R/T phraseology.

Agreed. You can't get mad at a pilot or controller who is ESL and they don't understand the "short cut" you just took. It is monotonous yes, but that's the job, like it or lump it.

Hotel Tango
8th Jun 2016, 17:44
Don't get too focused on the controllers though. The majority of US pilots like to sound "cool" and "hip" on the R/T too. It's an American thing ;)

treadigraph
8th Jun 2016, 18:52
First time I flew as a light aircraft passenger in the US, ATC kept referring to "Bandits" which I assumed were rogue aircraft not talking to him - took a while to realise they were actually Bandeirantes, then ubiquitous around Florida feeding the bigger airports...

PAXfips
8th Jun 2016, 20:21
There are several nicknames.
Along callsigns:
shamrock - air lingus
speedbird - british airways
flagship - forgot.. anyone?

Never got what 'angry puppy' aircrafts are :confused:

DaveReidUK
8th Jun 2016, 20:29
flagship - forgot.. anyone?

Flagship was Pinnacle Airlines' callsign when they were around.

PAXfips
9th Jun 2016, 13:21
Thanks Dave, found a full list by now. Oh, and angry puppy seems to refer to mad dog, to MD-88 and such (B717).

Also I found this. Ok, I am really only a PAX with interest in aviation, but I could gather that outbound on the 2nd try the least. Tops is the wrong taxi readback. That's like gf screaming "the other right!!".

And such people allowed leaving ground, my goodness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D88EZJ2wJ7M