PDA

View Full Version : Brain bleed

dudleybarnes
7th Jun 2016, 08:55
I am an experienced instructor from some 15 years back,. I took up another occupation from 2000 onwards. i suffered a brain bleed in year 2012. This was coiled and i returned to driving pcv vehicles after ten months of treatment with no lasting effects. I am interested in returning to aviation as an instructor again but concerned whether my episode will have any effect on my application. Has anyone suffered the same prob. Obviously wanting to sort this out before spending any money on medicals etc.

Radgirl
7th Jun 2016, 10:32
Not a simple answer I am afraid.

First, I assume you had NO fits - if you did, you will have the 'epilepsy' issue, even though it wasnt epilepsy

Next consideration is how much bleeding you had, WHERE, and from what. I suspect the doctors will want to know more about the number of coils, the percentage of the defect filled and the result of subsequent scans. They will want to know what, if any, deficit you had (weakness, power loss, speech. consciousness etc) and it resolution. Personally I would want details of the type of coil, any glue or beads used etc

So I would recommend you get your FULL notes from the hospital including ALL scans (original pictures and reports), all medical notes, letters, anaesthetic charts and operation sheets together with observation results. and then ask the regulator.

Good luck

cavortingcheetah
9th Jun 2016, 11:45
This might help and you can source epilepsy through the link as well.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Neurology/Neurology-guidance-material-GM/