PDA

View Full Version : Are My Dreams Slipping Away

Piper Warrior Pilot
28th Jun 2002, 14:22
Ok. Here is my situation.

I had a meeting at Tynemouth College last night in North Tyneside and i was told that because my GCSE Maths is predicted as a D, i wont be able to take physics at A-level.

My parents seem to think that if my GCSE grades arent high enough then i wont be able to become a pilot.

I was planning on starting my PPL next month because ive just had my trial lesson on tuesday.

If i cant take Physics at A-level are there any other subjects that would help and also, if i havent got high GCSE grades are my dreams of becomming a commercial pilot fading away?:(

The Greaser
28th Jun 2002, 14:29
Just because you are predicted a D does not mean you are going to get a D. Prove everyone wrong, you seem like you have determination - use it. Most airlines will specify C or above in maths and english.

As for A level selection, airlines dont specify science subjects - do those that you enjoy.

Good Luck

Piper Warrior Pilot
28th Jun 2002, 14:35
The thing is i think i might not get good grades. I was planning on doing quite a few of my hours for the PPL over the summer and i dont get my GCSE results until august 22nd. My parents dont want me to spend all that money on gettin the hours if my grades are gonna mean that i cant become a pilot.

Help

Gin Slinger
28th Jun 2002, 14:39
PWP - try to relax. Do as much revision as you can and just do your best in the exam.

If the worst does come to the worst, you can always retake maths in the first year of 6th form.

I took Economics & Business Studies for my A-levels (too lazy to do more) and I'm sailing through the ATPL exams.

I honestly don't believe what you did at school has a whole lot of relevence to pilot training.

You might have to jump through a few academic hurdles for airline selection, as Greaser says, but other than that, don't get in a tizzy.

Piper Warrior Pilot
28th Jun 2002, 14:47
Ive already taken my GCSE's and im waiting for the results. My predicted grades are as follows

English Language C
English Literature C
Maths D
Science Double C+C
Geography C
GNVQ IT B+B
French D

With these results am i likely to be able to get employment off an airline in the future

Gin Slinger
28th Jun 2002, 14:52
Who knows? That's like asking if I passed my cycling proficiency test first time, will that mean Stagecoach will hire me as a bus driver?

Point made in slightly OTT manner, but you see what I'm getting at?

Field In Sight
28th Jun 2002, 14:53
I did 'A' levels 12 years ago :eek: and managed to scrape through with 3 E's.

I am doing the ATPL's now and passed the first 8 recently averaging 95%.

The difference between the results is that this time I put the work in and went through as many example questions as I could before the exams.

This highlighted areas of weakness and areas that appeared to get examined more.

Get as many mock papers as you can get hold of and I'm sure you will do fine.

Also, if you go on to university choose a course that you will enjoy (i.e. one with lots of girls (or boys!) in it and not Mechanical Engineering like I did) rather than one that seems a good career move. The degree will be a nice to have but graduates rarely end up in related careers. IMHO.

redsnail
28th Jun 2002, 15:12
Ok, you don't need any formal qualifications to be a pilot. None. If you want to go to the airlines or apply for sponsorship that is a different kettle of fish.
Airline flying isn't the only flying you can do.
Let's say it all goes to pieces. Ok, start on plan B. You can redo your exams if you want to or you can skin the cat the other way.
Think about an aircraft mechanic apprenticeship and get into the industry. Work your butt off and study. I have never seen a poor engineer. They always have work. Skills are sought after and make for an excellent back up plan. When it comes to flying, you'll be well ahead of the pack because you'll actually understand the machine.
However, right now, I'd focus on passing your exams and proving your teachers wrong.

Sugar_Junkie
28th Jun 2002, 15:13
FIS...I did GCSEs last year - I was predicted about three Cs, the rest Ds...in the actual thing I got 3 As and the rest Bs...now just hoping similar result for AS...just bear in mind that schools may predict you a lower grade to make you work harder etc...particularly in the run up to exams...so don't worry....and GO FLYING :-)

calgary
28th Jun 2002, 15:35
theres a good thing called summer school, its ****ty while you go but your course can be done in as little as a month

skylord757
28th Jun 2002, 16:33
Well I have 4 GCSE's highest grade was a E, did not do A-LEVELS left college and started working to pay for my PPL, then did my ATPL's passed them all and I am now sitting in the RHS at the pointy end.

Point being if you are looking for sponsorship from the airlines then you will need 2 A-Levels if you are going to sponsor yourself then you don't need any academic qualifications to become a airline pilot all the airline will be intrested in is your ratings/Licence (must be at least a frozen ATPL with IR) and your flying hours.

flite idol
28th Jun 2002, 17:13
I failed the test to be a Unigate milkman................

skysheriff
28th Jun 2002, 20:38
warrior pilot, you dont need good levels to be an airline pilot. I know of several airline pilots in majors who failed their strudies before pursuing a career in avaition.
You just need money and connections, especially with the expensive JAR system

juggernaut
29th Jun 2002, 17:51
Having read your posts it reminded me of my old maths teacher telling me that I would never be a pilot as I was no good at maths, after I left school I attended college and worked hard to achieve an ONC in engineering, this gave me at least a better understanding of the subject and I came to realise that with encouragement I was not as stupid as people kept telling me! I have completed the ATPL exams and also found that the maths is very basic, there is a large volume of stuff to learn but it isn't rocket science believe me. I have this suggestion;
Do your PPL
Get a regular job in the meantime and fly as often as you can
Get a class one medical
While working, do the ATPL exams at your leisure on a correspondence course
Dont expect a sponsorship
Work towards your goal but don't get into debt

This was my path after numerous put downs and I have been flying now for 9 years - enough said.

whisperbrick
29th Jun 2002, 21:14
warrior pilot,

one point noone seems to have brought out: there isn't actually that much maths in flying:a bit of geometry, a few simple formulas and the ability to do small bits of mental arithmetic quickly (such as top of descent point, fuel calculations).

What you need is the ability to remember large chunks of information for the exams, and yes you don't even need GCSEs but i would be wary of saying that as reasonable GCSEs (not 12 A*)would be a good indicator of your general intellect but more cruically this ability to learn.

And for the record:
GCSE 1xa, 5xb,2xc (the Cs being in maths and physics !)

rex
30th Jun 2002, 06:43
Warrior Pilot

What do teachers and schools careers advisors know any way?

Most of my experiences with school is that they "put you down".
Don't let them!
A recent experience of mine was to go along to a college open evening, when I was having one of those doubting moments about a flying career, as many of us do. Lo and behold I was chatting to a career advisor. I should have known better. I said I was looking at a career in aviation. She told me, as I wear glasses, that I would never pass the medical! I told her that I had my Class one, still the same answer.
"Are you listening to me!" , I thought. She wasn't.
What did she know?
Diddly squat!
People for pigeon holes, but I am not a pigeon.

My teachers predicted that I would come to no good when I was at school as well.

Here I am, having studied at degree level with the Open University, a good job in the biotech industry, nice wife and a very good life, thankyou very much.
I am a bit older than you but still determined.

I look at it this way. If you enjoy what you are doing and you really love aviation, you will get there. Academia is not for everybody and it doesn't make you a worse person for not going to uni or whatever.
Do what you have to and do what you enjoy.

Best of luck

REX
:D

PS strangely enough "Another Brick in The Wall" is playing on the stereo. How strange:cool:

JT8
30th Jun 2002, 16:26
Well I was in lowest set for maths GCSE, told I wouldn't stand a chance doing A-Level. Ended up getting a B, and doing fine at A-Level too.

During A-Levels I was told I would struggle with the degree I wanted to do (Aeronautical Engineering), and was predicted a C/D in Business Studies.

Ended up with ABC (the A was in Business Studies) at A-Levels and a 2:1 in Aeronautical Engineering :p

Take predictions with a pinch of salt.

PorcoRosso
30th Jun 2002, 17:50
Basic Test

Ask your teachers, parents or career advisors the following question :

"Do you know what you are gonna eat tomorrow at lunch ?"

Answer will invariably be :

-No idea

They don't have a clue of their next meal, and they should know what are your professionnal aptidudes in the next 10 years ?!
C'mon !

Go for it !

I was in a situation of scholarship failure 15 years ago, and I was predicted to be barely able to find an apprenticeship in the bakery or plumbery world after school !
But with a lot of will and a bit of luck, I managed to pass 2 highschool exams (similar to GSCE) and after 10 years as technician in the nuclear industry, I spent my earnings in some training school.
Now I am 31, got a nice flying job, and future seems bright.

My career advisor is still a career advisor .....

richie-rich
30th Jun 2002, 20:46
k guys ......i am dumb......someone explain these things to me......

i do recall someone saying that airlines wanna see your gcse+a levels etc.......what if i dont have any of these? lets say i have 1500 hrs in multi engine instruction .........then i apply for a job without a levels......wouldnt an airline take me?

just to let u know guys......i am majoring in english for my bachelor degree and am doing flying during holidays

take care guys
richie rich

ETOPS773
1st Jul 2002, 09:02
I got C`s and D`s in 1998..and hasn`t put me off.
GCSEs..if you do well..good luck,but they aren`t vital at all.relax and do your best,it`ll gel into place soon enough.

Loony_Pilot
1st Jul 2002, 13:50
Hi,

Well.. Careers "advisors" are there to shepherd people into available jobs.. thus making their statistics look good.
They are certainly not the people to talk to if you actually have a strong sense of ambition or determination.
They're there to give people who have no idea what to do a shove in the right direction, or failing that any direction.

I was strongly discouraged from pursuing aviation as a career, but anyway... I now have a Frozen ATPL, working full time as an Instructor, ok.. its been a fairly long hard slog to get here (coming on 4 years now.. which is about the same as having done a Masters degree if u want to justify it in those terms), but ambititon, determination and hard work will see you through.

Good luck, work hard and you WILL succeed

Loony

Field In Sight
1st Jul 2002, 14:07
Have you ever heard a career advisor recommending "career advisor" as a possibility.

I expect not :rolleyes:

PorcoRosso
1st Jul 2002, 15:24
Reminds me of a friend of mine
He ws a bit insolent and lazy, but really clever.

After an argument with a teacher (can't remember the reason) he was sent to the carreer advisor, to discuss his future.

The career advisor asked him :

Do you think you'll go far with your state of mind ?
my friend replied : Certainly further than career advisor.

I have no idea what he is now, the souvenir I have from him is that he was fascinated by aircraft.

;);););)

rex
1st Jul 2002, 17:27
It seems that I am not the only one that didn't quite fit the mould at school then.

Then again there probably wasn't a mould long enough!:D

REX