PDA

View Full Version : Shanghai to Sydney, via Richmond

Bull at a Gate
5th Jun 2016, 02:35
QF 130 had to divert to Richmond due to low fuel and Sydney airport operating at reduced capacity. Might be there a while as fuel not readily available. Weather is awful!

Mr Approach
5th Jun 2016, 02:39
Hope we are not flying around without alternate fuel again - it could have been Mildura

Stanwell
5th Jun 2016, 03:03
Yeah, the weather's foul, innit?
Fuel not readily available at Richmond?
Don't tell me the RAAF has used its annual allocation already.

p.j.m
5th Jun 2016, 03:28
hard to believe low fuel, looks like a last minute decision due to bad weather.
https://i.imgur.com/DDvNjkK.jpg

Going Nowhere
5th Jun 2016, 03:35
VH-QPB ? FlightAware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHQPB)

p.j.m
5th Jun 2016, 03:42
looks like they found 14 minutes worth of fuel :)

https://i.imgur.com/Y5YYDqs.jpg

ACMS
5th Jun 2016, 04:12
So skippy fly into SYD with all that crap weather yesterday and have no fuel to carry a normal alternate and have to land in RIC? And if they did have normal Alternate fuel why would they go to RIC? Must have been because they didn't have Alternate fuel......
What the........

Surely ADL +30 would have been prudent?

Oh and don't tell me they couldn't carry enough fuel from PVG, we regularly carry enough to nominate ADL or SYD for MEL, most of the time we don't have to offload payload to do it either.

maggot
5th Jun 2016, 05:09
Multiple GAs in this mornings 6am arrival window.

Keg
5th Jun 2016, 05:47
Oh and don't tell me they couldn't carry enough fuel from PVG, we regularly carry enough to nominate ADL or SYD for MEL, most of the time we don't have to offload payload to do it either.

What type do you fly? I've not done a PVG flight but strikes me as the upper end of an A330-300's endurance with a full load at this time of year.

(I'm not buying into the discussion per se, just interested as to whether we are comparing apples with apples).

framer
5th Jun 2016, 07:27
Was Canberra full up on the ground?
Sometimes if you are late to the party YSCB apron and the military side can be chocka block.
Just a thought.

Robssupra
5th Jun 2016, 08:42
Was on QF128 from HK this morning, two missed approaches on rwy07 and off to Canberra. Wx not much better. First fuel truck had problem refuelling, second truck took 2hrs to show up. After 3hrs on the ground, 3rd truck was required to deliver enough fuel. So after 5hrs on the ground, departed for Syd. 20min if holding before a very sketchy landing. What a day.

Madame Bandit
5th Jun 2016, 08:53
Yes, and sounds like with all that delay some very "sketchy" flight and duty times as well. :D

ACMS
5th Jun 2016, 09:23
Keg:- 330-300 from HKG to AUS mate. MTOW limited obviously, unless we have a full load of Pax and cargo we can usually carry ADL/SYD/MEL/BNE +30 easily. If I have to dump a little Cargo to load a bit more Jet A1 then so be it. I know you would too.

I guess PVG SYD would be a little further by 1:30 or so.....still

Strikes me that arriving into SYD with that weather and no play fuel isn't the best of situations....

maggot
5th Jun 2016, 09:24
Was on QF128 from HK this morning, two missed approaches on rwy 25 and off to Canberra. Wx not much better. First fuel truck had problem refuelling, second truck took 2hrs to show up. After 3hrs on the ground, 3rd truck was required to deliver enough fuel. So after 5hrs on the ground, departed for Syd. 20min if holding before a very sketchy landing. What a day.

With a 35kt easterly its no wonder there was 2 GAs on 25 ;)

Cbr had a tempo on it? They must've had a boatload of gas on. Well played

Keg
5th Jun 2016, 09:31
ACMS. Fair enough. Yeah, we can normally carry ADL if we needed to from HKG as well. PVG is an hour or so longer though so that starts to tighten things up a bit. Until a bit more is known about how much fuel they landed with or why CBR wasn't an option it's hard to comment on the decision making.

hiltonbaby
5th Jun 2016, 10:19
2 missed approaches on RWY 25 that must have been interesting. Not really surprising with 30kts downwind though. Don't shoot the messenger or do either way.

Robssupra
5th Jun 2016, 10:55
With a 35kt easterly its no wonder there was 2 GAs on 25 ;)

Cbr had a tempo on it? They must've had a boatload of gas on. Well played

Been up for 40hrs, confused the ends of the rwy.
If it was the 330, I would have expected it to go around. But not the 400, in a 30-G40kts, headwind.

RadioSaigon
6th Jun 2016, 05:32
Interesting one this morning, GA714 A330 from Denpasar to SYD. Noted a very late flap/slats extension -we were well on Finals 34L before any went out, followed by the Dunlops- then an odd (I thought) call from the cockpit, warning pax to possibly expect quite vigorous braking on touchdown.
From where I was sitting (aft of the wing), the wind on the water certainly appeared to be comfortably favouring 34, at a rough estimate 20-25Kts. There was quite a significant Easterly swell running in the Bays, but no obvious wind-lanes in the water indicating any significant Easterly wind component.

What followed was remarkable only for the total lack of any drama or anything out of the ordinary. A good touchdown (no x-wind effort apparent) followed by perfectly normal reverse/braking, off by mid-strip.

That however, was followed by yet another call from the cockpit, inviting all to extend them a round of applause... which was widely ignored.

;-)

framer
6th Jun 2016, 05:45
Heh heh that is an interesting arrival!
How does one phrase the request for applause? I might try it next time I land as a way of boosting my failing ego.

Jeps
6th Jun 2016, 05:54
Could be a new motto for Garuda. "you survive, you clap"

C441
6th Jun 2016, 08:51
If it was the 330, I would have expected it to go around.But not the 400, in a 30-G40kts, headwind.

Unless they got a "Windshear" warning. Not much choice then.