PDA

View Full Version : Most Trusted Man In Australia

LeadSled
4th Jun 2016, 04:08
Folks,

A very trusted source has told me that, come Monday next, 6 June, it will be announced that Dick Smith has been voted the most trusted person in Australia.

Looks like many people recognise that there is "nothing in it for Dick" in the wide range of things, in which he involves himself. Indeed, few will actually know how wide the field is, particularly charitable works. I certainly do not, much outside aviation.

Let us hope, aviation-wise, the Minister takes notice, as we now know, Mr. Skidmore seems to totally reject the notion that there is any problem in the GA field, in his view it is going just fine. Not a view subscribed to by most of the CASA Board, but Hey!! What would they know??

Apparently, the ASRR/Forsyth Report is "just one view".

Minister,, please take note!!.

Tootle pip!!

Aussie Bob
4th Jun 2016, 05:11
I still remember, way back in 1976, penniless, dressed in daggy old cloths, standing on the edge of the road and hitchhiking with a friend in Sydney. We were picked up by none other than Dick Smith, who had already made it big in electronics. I think his North Ryde store had just opened. He was driving an oldish Fairlane which, according to his wife, he still owned in the late '90s (when I spoke to her about the ride). He probably still owns it. My friend and I were amazed at the time that he could be bothered with hitchers.

I have respected him ever since.

Ixixly
4th Jun 2016, 05:22
You may not agree with his views, or which fights he chooses to pursue, but I think most would agree that his integrity is generally well above that of most people in his position and those with his means.

He wears his heart on his sleeve and doesn't seem afraid to speak what is on his mind and very rarely is there any selfishness involved, he simply sees a wrong that he feels must be righted and goes about it in his own way.

hiwaytohell
4th Jun 2016, 07:03
penniless, dressed in daggy old cloths, standing on the edge of the road and hitchhiking

He probably recognised you as a GA charter pilot :cool:

Mr Approach
5th Jun 2016, 02:41
I had heard the same thing and tried to send him a private email but PPrune reports his mail box is full - well done Dick, you deserve it

IsDon
5th Jun 2016, 08:45
Not taking anything away from the Electronic Dick. Well deserved!

But my vote, quite literally, is with Nick Xenophon.

Frank Arouet
5th Jun 2016, 09:24
Nick X more trusted than Dick?

Dick isn't a politician, Nick is. Would you buy a used car from Nick?

Dick gets my support, and if he is running for an election, he gets my vote.

Nick will just be another politician.

Ejector
5th Jun 2016, 09:40
Congratulations Mr Smith, A man who calls a spade a spade from what I have seen.

VH-MLE
5th Jun 2016, 12:28

Stanwell
5th Jun 2016, 23:43
I'll just keep mine brief...
Onya, Dick!

On eyre
6th Jun 2016, 02:48
Yes Dick not Nick - the latter is a populist stunt man with no policies who fools some of the gullible public.

Supermouse3
6th Jun 2016, 02:58
it's the eyebrows, trusting eyebrows
same as John Howard

Lantern10
6th Jun 2016, 03:13
He's always had my admiration.

Another Number
6th Jun 2016, 03:51
Congratulations. Its recognition of the obvious, but we need the good people to get an honourable mention occasionally, amongst all the spotlight-hoggers.

Now ... forget standing for election ... I think its time to start the grassroots campaign for selecting our next Governor General! In 2-3 years His Lordship should be due to exit in a blaze of pomp and ceremony - why not install a real Australian who has proven he doesn't let the glory go to his head, isn't swayed by power, gives more of a damn about Australia than 99% of the population, and puts his money where his mouth is to prove it. :ok:

gerry111
6th Jun 2016, 15:23
So LeadSled, Has Dick been voted the most trusted person in Australia?

I can't find anything in the news to support that..

Please prove me wrong?

Awol57
6th Jun 2016, 23:26
There was an article on news.com.au wedged in around all the storm stories that he was voted number one in a Galaxy poll of 1000 Australians. Hugh Jackman was voted number one for something too.

TWT
7th Jun 2016, 00:15
My Big Idea: Hugh Jackman seen as most caring famous Australian (http://www.news.com.au/national/hugh-jackman-seen-as-most-caring-famous-australian-dick-smith-the-most-trustworthy-in-my-big-idea-poll/news-story/4220762100b1f934a44fba4dc6b208dd)

LeadSled
7th Jun 2016, 08:35
Folks,
Guess What ??
Another Dick Smith, Aviator.

Experimental Plane Crashes in Alamo
Posted: Jun 03, 2016 4:25 PM GST Updated: Jun 03, 2016 4:25 PM GST

ALAMO – An experimental plane with a 98-year-old pilot crashed in south Alamo.
DPS troopers, EMS crews, and firefighters are at the scene. The first responders checked on the pilot. He only had a slight cut on his wrist.
The pilot was identified as Dick Smith. He told CHANNEL 5 NEWS he built the plane himself and usually flies in the area. Smith said he was in the Navy and has been flying for 70 years.
The Federal Aviation Administration said the plane is a fixed-wing, single-engine aircraft or an experimental aircraft.
Smith said he made the call to the traffic control just before he crashed in a tree.
“I was in Edinburg playing around, practicing landings and having fun and headed home. The engine quit on the way home,” he said.
DPS Lt. Johnny Hernandez said preliminary information suggests engine failure. They’re waiting for FAA officials to arrive and determine the cause of the crash.
The accident happened on Whalen Road, between Ridge Road and Moore Road.
According to FAA regulations, experimental aircraft certificates are issued to pilots in a few categories such as training, to market surveys and air racing.
“Requirements of the FAA for a pilot’s license with endorsement of commercial pilot. So this is something that is very, very interesting to see a gentlemen or a person, still meeting the basic requirements physically for a commercial pilot’s license,” Emergency Management Coordinator George Garret said.
The FAA added there is no age limit to fly. It all depends on how the person feels and if they have a pilot license.
They are continuing their investigation how the plane crashed.
CHANNEL 5 NEWS will bring you the very latest developments in this story.