PDA

View Full Version : Failed ATPL exam - is it worth continuing?

Martin_123
3rd Jun 2016, 16:27
Hi All,

did my first ATPL exam sittings and although most of them were ok, I feel like I've might have failed HPL, Not sure yet, the results will be out on Monday. Really gutted, I had to guess about 15 questions, many of whom had two possible answers, others where focusing on TEM to a very great extent which was completely new to me (Although technically it's in the LOs, the books I was using has no mention of it and it's not in the QBs)

thus the question - assuming I have a big fat fail, is it even worth continuing with my training? Surely a fail on a CV will dramatically lower my chances ever getting a job?

EC DKN
3rd Jun 2016, 17:27
Be an instructor, start with turboprop, etc... I am worried about the exams too but be positive if you fail some of them it's not the end of the world! Which scool are you using? Sent me a PM I have to take the exams too! Thanks.

RedBullGaveMeWings
3rd Jun 2016, 17:50
You really want to stop your training over one fail? Keep doing what you like and you won't regret it.

Martin_123
3rd Jun 2016, 18:29
Of course it is, obviously you don't want to fail loads, but you are only human. Just hit the books double hard and keep going :ok:
I would love to, too bad books have nothing in them about TEM. Seriously, I checked! It's something CAA just pulled out of their behinds and decided to throw at us just now.

You really want to stop your training over one fail? Keep doing what you like and you won't regret it.

If I'd want to stop training, I wouldn't be moaning here.. I can just imagine how recruiters pick and order their CVs especially for 0-hour cadets.. Would you pick a pilot that has a fail in ATPLs when you have probably 1000s of CVs in front of you that don't? Really all I want to hear is first-hand accounts from people that have fails but have managed to get a job.. The more recent the experience, the better..

just to give you a taste of what's going on:

https://www.bristol.gs/caa-refuse-either-credit-exams-introduce-quality-controls/

http://www.pilotcareernews.com/caa-refuses-to-introduce-quality-control-for-atpl-exams-despite-schools-pressure/

Martin_123
3rd Jun 2016, 18:47
Yes I'm studying with Bristol, but I want to make it clear, that I don't think Bristol could have done anything to preempt this. I was told that there was only one person that passed the Ops exam in February in the entire UK

EC DKN
3rd Jun 2016, 21:24
Personally I know people inside some cadet programs that they carried on with failings (major airline)! So...

Cat3C.ATPL
4th Jun 2016, 09:52
Martin,

You are in the same boat as many others, and the problem with the 'fitness-for-purpose' of the exams is also known by the airline industry so this issue with the new questions will, in all probability, be taken into account (I would like to think so, at least).

After all, if everyone bar one passed the HP exam and the airlines are only going to hire fledgling FOs with 100% exam pass rates, he (or she) is going to be in a lot of demand!

I would bash on if I was you and just be ready for the resit - give yourself time...wait for the feedback to develop.

seen_the_box
6th Jun 2016, 07:17
Airlines don't care how many attempts experienced pilots took in their ATPLs, nor how many attempts hey took at the various flight tests, or even where they did their initial training. Once you have a couple of thousand hours (arguably considerably fewer) under your belt on a relevant type, none of the above is even considered.

However, when competing for entry level jobs (and especially airline jobs), employers can afford to be incredibly picky. A fail or two in the ATPLs, a second series IR/CPL etc. and your applications for that first job suddenly look considerably less competitive. That's not to say that you won't ever find a job, but an uphill struggle will become even tougher.

veehotel
6th Jun 2016, 08:36
I agree with seen_the_box, if you are with Bristol GS I guess you are a modular guy... anyways modular or integrated have the same problem: low hour pilots don't get the job so easy. In order to do that, you need hours and then you will be good.

For now, try to make your best, if books don't help try to get some other help around from other pilots or other books, anything that could help you to pass except for cheating do so.. Even the biggest fail sometimes :) Don't get demotivated..!!

Martin_123
6th Jun 2016, 12:03
got the results today, I passed with 77%, so basically a difference of one lucky (not even educated) guess. I hope everyone in my group get's a lucky break.. the timing for us has been really unfortunate with all the changes coming in so hopefully luck will find it's way to level things out.

The other ones were just around 90% so I'm well happy with that.. Roll on the next module!