PDA

View Full Version : AVG for Mac

Phoenix1969
3rd Jun 2016, 10:24
Hi all

I have free AVG virus protection / firewall for my Mac, which I was recommended ages ago.

Someone I know also has this for his Mac but the better, paid-for version. Today he tried installing an update and found he couldn’t, so spoke to their tech support.

Result? He’s been given a full refund. I didn’t know this until today, but AVG products no longer work with ANY Mac.

So – as Mac users, can anyone recommend an alternative, whether free or paid-for?

Thanks in advance

Feenix

WeeJeem
3rd Jun 2016, 10:44
I can recommend "Norton Security with Backup" - available for PC, Mac, as well as android and iphone - and multipack (10 licence) pricing comes out at around $5 per device per year.

We've been running with it or its predecessors for a number of years and it's been faultless :ok:

Geordie_Expat
3rd Jun 2016, 11:07
I don't know what has happened to AVG lately. I have had AVG Free version for years on various PC's but the last update I got disabled Internet Explorer !! Tried everything to no avail so have now binned it and moved to Avast (which is handy as even the free version has an inbuilt adblocker).

Don't know how it goes on a Mac though.

PPRuNe Towers
3rd Jun 2016, 16:15
For a freeby look up user reviews and experiences with Avira.

I use it as admin mail here at PPRuNe gets bombarded with bad things and my memory monitor is showing an incredibly small footprint for constant real time detection. New signatures just about every day arrive on auto.

Rob

Joe Jingles
3rd Jun 2016, 16:18
You might like to consider Avira. I have been using it on a couple of Macs for sometime without problems. I've found that on Win10 it becomes very intrusive - trying to get you to upgrade of course - but nothing like that on OS X. So far.

How effective it is is another matter. It rarely seems to be tested in the magazines/sites I read.

ExXB
3rd Jun 2016, 19:02
Still never been a (self replicating) virus for OS X. Some Trojans, which require user acceptance. Recently a couple of ransom malware being spread by MS word attachments, but again positive user acceptance needed.

Practice safe OS (X), don't use an administrative user for normal work, don't give admin access to other users of your Mac, or tell them your password. If you get a prompt asking for permission to download something, make sure that's what you want to do. Remember all existing malware needs to be installed with an administrators permission/password.

Keep an eye out for media reports of new threats to OS X, they are so rare that they get a lot of media attention.

Those two are the best protection for OS X.

Phoenix1969
6th Jun 2016, 09:41
All

Thanks a lot - very helpful.

Feenics

MightyGem
7th Jun 2016, 19:53
I can recommend "Norton Security with Backup" - available for PC, Mac, as well as android and iphone - and multipack (10 licence) pricing comes out at around $5 per device per year.

We've been running with it or its predecessors for a number of years and it's been faultless
Have you been running that on a Mac? It's the one AV software that most Mac users avoid like the plague.

Phoenix1969, why do you think you need AV software? You might like to have a read here:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Virus/Malware_FAQ

Mad Monk
11th Jun 2016, 16:50
Mighty Gem is quite right.
Norton was good back in the days of System 7 but awful since System 9.
I use Sophos, free, efficient and seems thorough.

WeeJeem
11th Jun 2016, 19:57
Have you been running that on a Mac? It's the one AV software that most Mac users avoid like the plague.

Indeed I have, and no stress to report - but, as with Windows, I'm no early adopter, so always wait until the teething problems are sorted out well in advance before getting remotely interested. :cool:

cdtaylor_nats
12th Jun 2016, 20:46
I've been a fan of Avast for some time

Lyneham Lad
15th Jun 2016, 20:23
Read all about it...
10 best anti-virus for Mac 2016 (http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac/10-best-antivirus-for-mac-2016-june-3637103/?no1x1&utm_source=Mainline&utm_medium=email&utm_term=image&utm_content=image&utm_campaign=Mainline1506)