PDA

View Full Version : Shuttleworth Evenings displays

pvmw
3rd Jun 2016, 08:14
I was hoping to take a friend's children (now of an age where they would appreciate it) to one of the evening displays so they can see the Edwardian and early machines, but there appear not to be any (there always used to be one in June) and the only event where is appears they may display at all is the Edwardian Pageant on 7th Aug which I can't get to.

Has the programme been reduced this year?

treadigraph
3rd Jun 2016, 09:16
Sadly it seems so - I read somewhere (probably Flypast site) that there would be no evening displays. They were delightfully civilised events!

pvmw
3rd Jun 2016, 10:04
What a shame. As you say, they were delightful events to go to and always seemed to be very popular. I introduced a few friends to air displays and vintage aeroplanes over the years by taking them along for a picnic on the grass.

I wonder if anyone lurking out there can tell us why they stopped, and whether they are likely to ever do them again.

VictorGolf
3rd Jun 2016, 15:05
Please don't quote me but I believe the underlying reason is that they just didn't get the numbers to make them viable. I guess that will limit the flying of the "Edwardians" (Boxkite and so on).

Evanelpus
3rd Jun 2016, 15:28
Please don't quote me but I believe the underlying reason is that they just didn't get the numbers to make them viable. I guess that will limit the flying of the "Edwardians" (Boxkite and so on).

Post Shoreham, airshows around the country are being thwarted by aircraft flying higher and further from the crowd line. I know a few who went to Old Warden for the airshow there a couple of weeks ago and they all said they'd never go again for those reasons.

Such a shame.:(

BEagle
3rd Jun 2016, 16:09
The Shuttleworth Collection's new policy of recommending online ticket purchase for events 'likely to be popular due to a particularly attractive programme' means that it's now going to be a bit of a gamble for those travelling long distances. Do they gamble on the British weather being good enough for the event and apply ahead of time, or risk waiting until the day only to find that the event is full....

Unless, of course, the online system is clever enough to allow refunds for late cancellations (for whatever reason), so that a ticket will become available for someone else.....

Is it?

cyflyer
3rd Jun 2016, 18:48
Although there is no 'evening' display per say this year, something I also noticed, the Edwardians are flown at all the other displays at Shuttleworth, they are not evening display specific. They are good weather specific, ie they fly them at all displays if the weather conditions are good, usually at the end of the day. Am going this weekend to the ' naval display' show, and will check it out. Will also see how far away from the crowd the display will be.