PDA

View Full Version : Headset for Hearing Impaired

AdRock27
3rd Jun 2016, 06:21
Hi All,

My wife is a flight nurse with the RFDS, she unfortunately has now lost all hearing in her left ear. I was wondering if anyone knows of a headset that is available that will still let her hear the pilot / ATC, but still able to hear her patient that is on board.

I've been told Sennheiser sold a model that has a microphone on the headpiece which could be used for this scenario and it was called a 'pass though' feature.
Unfortunately looking at the Senneiser website they are no longer selling general aviation headsets as of March 2016

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has come across this situation or point me in a direction.

Many Thanks,
PS I'm not in the aviation industry, so anything technical will have to be lay mans...

john_tullamarine
3rd Jun 2016, 09:59
Outside my ken ..

However, years ago, at AN, we had a 767 skipper who lost the hearing in the right ear, as I recall, post cancer surgery. Returned to flying with a megaphone device over his head to hear the cockpit sounds .. perhaps a call to CASA AVMED just could point you in a suitable direction for your needs ?

AdRock27
3rd Jun 2016, 10:20
Hi John,

Thanks for that info, we'll certainly give them a call

truthinbeer
4th Jun 2016, 06:52
Why not send an email direct to David Clarke, a headphone manufacturer in US and explain what you require. When I had issues with my noise cancelling headset they were great with advice. Their service agent at Bankstown is Pacific Avionics Pty. Ltd. also excellent. They serviced and rectified the headset problems free of charge even though the headset was bought 2nd hand and was out of warranty.

Flightstore still has some Sennheiser headsets left and on special. Give em a call.
SENNHEISER S1 NOISEGARD [504211] - $899.00 : Flight Store -, Pilot Shop - 07 5536 8694 (http://www.flightstore.com.au/headsets-sennheiser-c-113_136/sennheiser-s1-noisegard-p-740.html)

Bullethead
4th Jun 2016, 07:04
This,

Sennheiser HMEC 26 - Aviation Headset - Pilot Headset - ETSO / TSO approved - Active Noise Reduction - Talk-Through-Function (http://en-au.sennheiser.com/aviation-headset-pilot-headset-active-noise-reduction-etso-tso-approved-hmec-26)

is the headset with the 'talk through' and ANR functions.

I can't help you with a supplier though.

Cheers,
BH.

Cloudee
4th Jun 2016, 07:39
Still some available by the looks.

Sennheiser HMEC-26-T Stereo ANR Headset - MyPilotStore.com (http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/6867)

AdRock27
6th Jun 2016, 04:31
Thank you all for the links, I'm looking into each suggestion

mcoates
7th Jun 2016, 01:44
my son had a device which was basically an FM transmitter, we can hook it into the aircraft intercom system and it broadcast directly to his hearing aids. Whilst this was running he did not hear any ambient noise through his hearing aids because it was a direct wireless link between the transmitter and his hearing aids. They use exactly the same system when teaching kids at school, the teacher wears the transmitter around their neck and everything they say and do get broadcast to the children with hearing aids. Made for some good fun when the teacher left it on and went to the toilet or lifted on in the staff room during lunch, as long as the kids were in the 30 to 50 m transmission region they can pick up everything including gosh/horror SWEARING in the staff room ! It's a big thing when you are only 10.