PDA

View Full Version : Lucky All He Wanted was a free flight

Longtimer
1st Jun 2016, 00:24
Chinese stowaway found in hold of Emirates flight to Dubai

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36422711
• 3 hours ago

• From the section Middle East

An Emirates airline Airbus A380 displayed at the Dubai Airshow on November 9, 2015Image copyright Getty Images Image caption The Emirates Shanghai-Dubai route is usually served by the Airbus A380
A Chinese teenager has been found hiding in the cargo hold of an Emirates passenger jet that had flown from Shanghai to Dubai.

Emirates said on Tuesday the stowaway had been found on Flight EK303 from Shanghai last Friday and had been handed over to Dubai police.

The airline did not name the stowaway but China's official Xinhua news agency said he was a 16-year-old boy named Xu.

The boy is reported to have said he was "very comfortable" in the hold.

However, he said he had eaten nothing during the nearly nine-hour flight. Gulf News said the cargo hold was pressurised.

He said he had heard that even beggars in Dubai could make a lot of money, Xinhua reported.

"We are co-operating fully with authorities in Dubai and as this is a police matter we are unable to comment further at this time," Emirates said in an emailed statement.

Xinhua said that consulate staff had been sent to the airport to learn more about the situation.

According to a translator appointed by prosecutors, the boy said he had jumped over a fence at Shanghai airport and climbed into the cargo hold while a security guard looked away, Xinhua added.

SOPS
1st Jun 2016, 00:57
I bet they removed water and yogurt from the crew before the got on board.:ugh:

Capn Bloggs
1st Jun 2016, 03:13
"The" what...twice?

bloom
1st Jun 2016, 04:17
Come on, if you only speak one language, at least learn to understand internet drunk talk. The is They

T28B
1st Jun 2016, 04:37
The primal fear for any airline: this same teen could have been someone with a bomb strapped to his body. That's why this news story matters.

vapilot2004
1st Jun 2016, 11:43
Fortunately, not a lot of that coming out of China these days.

oblivia
1st Jun 2016, 12:40
I see China's censorship of its terrorism problems is working.

Lonewolf_50
1st Jun 2016, 13:43
Fortunately, not a lot of that coming out of China these days. So far. They've had some issues in their Northwest that one day may get nasty. Hopefully not in our life time (Keep Fingers Crossed :eek:).

vapilot2004
2nd Jun 2016, 10:19
I see China's censorship of its terrorism problems is working.

That's too bad, but it is good to know they are at least keeping it at home.

So far. They've had some issues in their Northwest that one day may get nasty. Hopefully not in our life time (Keep Fingers Crossed ).

We have a few IR studies folks around here. I should corner one and ask about. All I know is the land used to belong to someone else, and a superpower supported the locals in rebelling. Sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it?

nicolai
9th Jun 2016, 21:02
So far. They've had some issues in their Northwest that one day may get nasty. Hopefully not in our life time (Keep Fingers Crossed :eek:).

It's already nasty there in the Uyghur homelands. The Chinese Government keeps a tight lid on it, but there are regular explosions, deaths, etc. Tourism is discouraged, too (maximum transit without visa in the Uyghur capital Urumqi is 2 hours, it's at least 24 hours elsewhere - they don't want foreigners hanging around there seeing anything embarassing).

That is part of why there is such tight security with bag scanners in the major city metro stations (Beijing, Shanghai etc). Of course, people wanting to carry things like gas barbecues on the train is a risk too, but the domestic terrorism threat in China is nonzero - probably similar to medium-level IRA activity in the UK in the 1990s.

tj916
9th Jun 2016, 23:43
Don't forget BKK.