AirForceNone
31st May 2016, 04:55
My condolences to those affected

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shropshire-plane-crash-leaves-two-8084943

R.I.P

AFN

squidie
31st May 2016, 22:14
Sad news, not read anything yet about tail. Still sore for the GA community after G-BNSO last month.

DC10RealMan
1st Jun 2016, 16:05
and a Cessna 182 at Sherlowe which is in the same local area last month.

The aircraft at Sherlowe looked totaled but no fatalities fortunately.

squidie
2nd Jun 2016, 21:37
and a Cessna 182 at Sherlowe which is in the same local area last month.

The aircraft at Sherlowe looked totaled but no fatalities fortunately.
Can’t see any articles on this one, also not on ASN yet.

DC10RealMan
3rd Jun 2016, 05:16
It certainly made the headlines in the Shropshire Star newspaper a couple of months ago with a picture of a C172/182 on its back. I had heard that the pilot was the owner of the strip at Sherlowe.

Sir George Cayley
4th Jun 2016, 23:18
Latest news from the Shropshire Star

Shifnal aircraft crash: Inquests to open on Shropshire pair killed in tragedy « Shropshire Star (http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/emergency-services/2016/06/04/shifnal-aircraft-crash-inquests-to-open-on-shropshire-pair-killed-in-tragedy/)

SGC

Small Rodent Driver
5th Jun 2016, 06:17
Wonder if the difference in the elevator surface positions is perhaps indicating something?

rans6andrew
5th Jun 2016, 20:18
on that aircraft type the elevators are driven by a pushrod connected to horns pointing downwards on each elevator. The pushrod has a U (laid on it's back) shaped yolk at the elevator end, the centre part of the U brings the ends outside of the rear of the fuselage through a couple of slots, curved to follow the arc of the motion as the horns swing. If one end/horn isn't connected the elevator will be floating ie not driven at all and won't "fight" with the other one. Control authority will be less than normal but I would expect that the aircraft would remain controllable at flying speeds. If, like me, the operator folds the aircraft into a dark trailer in between flying sessions then the connections between the yolk and the horns might be disconnected to allow the horizontal tail surfaces to be folded to save hangar space. I never forgot to reconnect mine before the preflight assured me I had!

It probably broke free during the accident.

Small Rodent Driver
6th Jun 2016, 03:36
If, like me, the operator folds the aircraft into a dark trailer in between flying sessions then the connections between the yolk and the horns might be disconnected to allow the horizontal tail surfaces to be folded to save hangar space. I never forgot to reconnect mine before the preflight assured me I had!

I used to fly a Rans which was rigged / derigged each day. The control horn and reconnection of such was always a concern to me.