PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Gulfstream pilots coming from?

scoutsbrother
30th May 2016, 13:28
It seems that every Gulfstream job in the known universe requires a type rating, even the SIC positions, so I'm just wondering how people get started on these jets? I have 7000 hours TT, 4000 hours large cabin PIC, 4 years of international VVIP experience world-wide, but without being able to check that box of 'GV type rating' I can't even get past the resume 'bot.

What's the word?

FlyMD
30th May 2016, 16:34
It's the habit that Gulfstream have to include 4 initial type ratings which each new plane sold... On 2 or 3-man private operations, chief pilots and other suspicious types end up getting typed.... Or else the remaining rating is sold via a training broker, and some hopeful ex-airline types himself and goes skulking on the freelance market...

Not such a problem in the US where small aviation companies have learned to negotiate sales contracts and exchange the additional rating for some other goodie...

His dudeness
30th May 2016, 17:39
On 2 or 3-man private operations, chief pilots and other suspicious types end up getting typed

I´m a chief pilot on a 2 man ops. I do feel very, very suspicious....

Now, what was the question again ?

Or as John Cleese recently said:

Almost Nobody has any Idea what they are Talking About....

flydive1
30th May 2016, 18:26
I´m a chief pilot on a 2 man ops. I do feel very, very suspicious....

Well, to honest, you are a bit of a suspicious character...;)

It's the habit that Gulfstream have to include 4 initial type ratings which each new plane sold...

Not only Gulfstream

On 2 or 3-man private operations, chief pilots and other suspicious types end up getting typed....

Well, if it's a 2-3 man operation, getting a new aircraft, who would you type? the secretary?

Or else the remaining rating is sold via a training broker, and some hopeful ex-airline types himself and goes skulking on the freelance market...

Not such a problem in the US where small aviation companies have learned to negotiate sales contracts and exchange the additional rating for some other goodie...

In most if not all the companies I dealt with(all over the world), the extra initial training are exchanged for recurrent trainings (usually 1 initial=2 recurrent)

FlyMD
30th May 2016, 20:05
Points well taken, Gents.... i have nothing against Chief pilots: a few years ago I didn't know what one was, now I is one myself.. )))

But I have witnessed ratings going to chairwarmers who did not really need them, and who would come cherry-pick the nice short flights every 3 months or so to keep current...

To go back to the original question of the poster: I haven't found that there are that many (good) freelancers on the market when I've needed one. However, the number of typed G550 guys looking for a job seems to have increased, to judged from the pile of CVs on my desk...

Maybe it's that not all current drivers are taken along when the owners upgrade to 650s...

His dudeness
30th May 2016, 21:24
you are a bit of a suspicious character...

Only a bit ? Thats an insult, I am really trying hard to be as suspicious as it gets....

scoutsbrother
31st May 2016, 03:20
I guess my observation is that there are many, many Gulfstream jobs showing up on the jobs boards, all requiring a type rating, and if the only type ratings handed out are with new airplane purchases, then theoretically, if all those planes are still flying, there should be a shortage of type rated Gulfstream pilots, which doesn't seem to be the case. In my experience, such as it is, just buying a type rating doesn't even help, since all of the jobs I've seen require anywhere from 250 - 1000 hours on type as well.

So is there any road to a Gulfstream job that doesn't include being onsite when a plane is purchased?

500 above
31st May 2016, 07:14
It is two free pilot ratings, one engineer and one hostie included in a new sale. All training at FSI. I guess some may have better bargaining power.

donPablo
31st May 2016, 08:32
My opinion is that companies try to find people on the market... just in case.

In the end they do not find and take some guys who eighter : applied without TR (yes... that happens) or take someone they know/knew/who has been refered, etc... In BizAv it's all about how many people you know and who are they ;)

g450cpt
31st May 2016, 12:17
So is there any road to a Gulfstream job that doesn't include being onsite when a plane is purchased?

Most of the companies that require a type prior to being hired are usually not the ones to go to work for (i.e. 135 ops trying to make as much profit as possible or an individual that barely had the money to purchase the aircraft and can't afford to operate it correctly). By the same token, buying a type on your own dime is not looked upon favorably either. The really good companies hire the right "personality" that fits into their culture, and if not already typed will send them to initial. Usually this comes from either knowing someone personally that flies for the company or being recommended by someone that knows the CP or someone else in the flight department. A word of caution though, it's also not looked upon very favorably if you accept a job, get the type, and then jump ship for a better position or decide that the Gulfstream life is not for you. Aviation is a very small world and word gets around. Good luck, network as much as possible and be courteous to whomever you meet. You never know, the person sitting next to you at the bar/restaurant may be CP or CEO of a company operating an aircraft that you want to go to work for.

galaxy flyer
31st May 2016, 12:55
While there maybe lots of GLF jobs, there's also a ton of GLF planes on the market and, hence, tons of GLF pilots. I've typed five pilots in the last year, so character first, then type ratings.

GF

wondering
1st Jun 2016, 07:37
@GF :ok:

In addition, at least in Europe, the market was flooded with NJE pilots. That certainly didn´t help the market :}

spacecadet
1st Jun 2016, 09:21
Perhaps the market is so flooded is the reason that Avon jet is advertising for typed G550 pilots for EUR 2,700 month (admittedly x14 payments = EUR 3,150 month)

B200Drvr
5th Jun 2016, 03:43
There are companies that will type you, but you need to have worked for them and proven your worth on other, possibly smaller types. I know a company that has typed 3 G550 pilots in the 4th Q of 2015, but all had worked for the company for three years on said smaller types. VERY few companies will type you through the door, its just not worth the risk!!

RAFAT
5th Jun 2016, 12:57
wondering - a very good point, the number of NJE pilots flooding the market post 2008 on their special arrangement salaries didn't help one little bit. I had to return to airline flying as I couldn't secure a full-time position and NJE guys had all the freelance work.