PDA

View Full Version : Good Pilot Watches??

Flap30
4th Mar 2001, 19:26
I know this is a silly post, but I need to invest in a new watch, and wanted to know if my fellow pilots could reccomend a really good one???
I was looking at the RAF issue one from Transair, but do I really need a watch that is resitant to extreme shocks, temperatures etc...... my landings are not that bad!!

Cheers!

Flaps

Star5
4th Mar 2001, 21:49
Yes, what about taking a look at the CASIO range, Model PRT 40.

I have one that is made of Titanium and the functions it has is Air Pressure, OAT in *C/*f, Altitude in m/ft, Directional Compass, magnet reading. and many more features....

this set me back about AUD$320.00

Goodluck.

AffirmBrest
4th Mar 2001, 21:50
There's been quite extensive chat about watches on Prune not too long ago - I don't know whether it was on Wannabes or Tech Log or what, but FYI I bought my digital watch from Argos 4 yrs ago - £6.95 - and it has an alarm (for nightstops on earlies), digital readout (for ease of use after 5 days of earlies!) and a stopwatch. Suits me fine and is a little less pretentious than all those big fancy ones - though if I could actually afford a Breitling then my opinion would be a little different... :)

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

BIGBAD
5th Mar 2001, 00:49
If you're buying a watch don't buy the MOD issue one. They're ok but seem to go tits frequently. When you're issued it for free that' ok as you can swap them one-for-one, but if I had to fork out for it myself I'd think twice.....

helimutt
5th Mar 2001, 01:39
I recommend either the Breitling crosswind, no 782, 793 or 789 in the Breitling catalogue.
The other breitling worth a glimpse are the chrono jetstream cat no 800. Check out the Breitling website for info but don't faint when you see the prices.
I got a catalogue from my local dealer and can't decide on a night and instrument rating or a new watch!!
B****Y marvellous watches though.

blackknight
5th Mar 2001, 04:20
My choice of timepiece is the Breitling aerospace, all the useful features (alarm, chrono, timer, 2nd time zone etc..., good one is the bi-rotational bezel, great for quick adjustments of eta's and ata's etc... and it even looks like an aircraft dial too!!!. I however got mine as a 21st present so didnt have to find enough money for 15hrs in a warrior to buy one!!

BigTimeWannabe
5th Mar 2001, 04:29
If you can afford to fork out the cash and look the part get a Breitling.

ad astra
5th Mar 2001, 04:59
The ultimate pilots watch must surely be the Omega Speedmaster (the 'moon watch') at about 1200 pounds. Or the new version the Omega X-33 which was developed with the help of pilots and astronauts. This has a conventional analogue display and an integrated digital display that is curved between about 11 and 3pm so that you can read it without turning your wrist. Apparently it is standard issue to Shuttle astronauts.
A great buy must be an Accurist watch from Argos (at around 90 pounds). This looks identical to the Citizen Navihawk in the Transair catalogue but without the E6 bezel, and at under half the price.

sunny77
5th Mar 2001, 05:36
I know that there are some excellent watches out there specifically designed for flying etc, but I got sick and tired of replacing the glass cover (after scratching it on a pref-flight inspection/ playing footy with the lads on days off), then getting it pressure tested etc for water proofing. Stumbled across a G-Shock with dual time. US$90. That thing will take a big clout, is water proof, has all of the functions you need, most importantly dual time so you can have UTC and local up at the same time.
Only bad thing is it doesn't look anywhere as good as a Breitling.

EDDNR
5th Mar 2001, 09:00
Sorry but as soon as I see a pilot (particularly a PPL) with a "pilot" watch, the word w*nkr springs to mind. All you need is an accurate timepiece and a ten quid Casio is ideal.

Rod

GJB
5th Mar 2001, 13:16
As long as it tells the time accurately......

pjdj777
5th Mar 2001, 13:38
I got an accurist - £100 and excellent.

Never loses time - easy to read and it seems to have been far more reliable than some Brightlings.

I also got a Citizen which is my "posh" watch, which is very nice.

AirfixPilot
5th Mar 2001, 16:23
Breitling's Old Navitimer is a superb piece of kit if you can afford one. Not only is it sexy as hell but it also has a funky slide rule going around the outside that you can do all of your sums on!

Just have to empty your Swiss bank account to afford one. £1700 for one with a leather strap.

dingducky
5th Mar 2001, 17:07
i have a purple baby G i think it is very pretty
i have played with a watch with a whizz wheel around it. it was fun

------------------
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are
perfect

The man formerly known as
5th Mar 2001, 17:41
Great thread.

My advice is get one you can easily read the time on.

I had a seiko pilots watch (which they sadly don't make any more), great watch but when I was doing the PPL I lost count of the number of time I misread the time by 5 minutes because the face was so cluttered with additional dials. I lost it and I'd love to get another.

I did buy a Breitling Navitimer fake for $40us. It kept time superbly and looked and felt like the real thing but the idiots put a unidirectional bezel on it and the slide rule wasn't printed correctly so you couldn't calaculate on it.

Best watch has got to be the Breitling Navitimer.

tunneler
5th Mar 2001, 22:15
Well I got given a Next £50 job nearly 4 eyars ago and I only had to change the battery last month. Keeps fantastic time and looks pretty good too.

All round Bargain!!! (Although if anyone wants to buy me a nice Gucci one then please feel free!!!)

B
x

str12
5th Mar 2001, 22:32
It all depends on how much you can afford and as I'm doing my PPL now I'd rather spend the money on flying than a flash watch.

A 100 quid Seiko stopwatch thingy with an analogue dial has been good for me so far.

I'll be Indonesia soon so I could pick up an Omega for about 10 quid!

I find that an anologue dial is useful because it vaguely resembles a compass rose...

EDDNR
6th Mar 2001, 05:10
You guys are really kidding when you suggest using a stopwatch function on a watch?

Have you ever flown a hold using a stopwatch? On your wrist?

I rest my case about ego's buying watches. A ten quid Casio and a Russian made stopwatch taped to the yoke. Save your money for the flying!

Rod

scroggs
7th Mar 2001, 01:10
Boys and girls,
this thread is interesting, and fun, but it ain't strictly relevent to wannabes! Off to 'Questions' with you.
Incidentally, the true measures of a (male) pilot are the size of his car and his watch. To compensate for something else that may be very small!!
PS I have both a big car and a big watch. Sad git!