PDA

View Full Version : 'Flight no 123 will be further delayed...'

MikeSierra
28th Jun 2002, 08:22
Apologies if this is a stupid question but it has been bugging me ever since I had a 4 hour delay at LTN with no information to the PAX from the staff (this is not a dig at the staff - they probably didn't know what was happening either).
Are there any legal requirements as to when an airline should refund passengers or offer some sort of 'compensation' (i.e. free drink or food)?? After how long of a delay does the airline decide to put it's passengers up in a hotel or offer them alternatives to their journey??? :confused:
I was watching a program (I think it was Airline) talking about Easyjet and how Stelios had to give 600.000 pounds because of snow. How come the airlines have to pay for not being able to fly due to weather? There seems to be no logic in this. :confused:
Can anyone clarify this for me please?
Thanx in advance

MS

Desk Driver
28th Jun 2002, 11:04
A 4 hour delay is not a major delay in general terms. No compensation is due. As for Food and Water....Well thats upto the airline concerned to decide

If you were not given any information as to why you were delayed at all then that poor customer service and if you feel strongly enough don't book that airline again.

Otherwise let it go relax and move on!

MikeSierra
28th Jun 2002, 11:49
Sorry...maybe I didn't explain myself properly...I'll try again!
By no means was I suggesting that I should have been given food and drink or even free accommodation during my delay. Nor am I hung up on it. It just happens that the question sprung to my mind as I was sitting at the departure lounge last week.
Agreed a 4 hour delay is not that big-a-deal when it comes to delays. I was just wondering, on a more general note, if there are any rules to these kind of things.
Also, why should the airlines compensate pax when they can't fly because of snow?? Surely it's not their fault, they shouldn't have to pay?? :confused:
Hope I've clarified this a bit more now.
Thanx again.

Desk Driver
28th Jun 2002, 13:23
Ok perhaps I did come across a bit strong! But the whole world has got a "Watchdog" mentality these days.

To my knowledge the payout you are talking about was due to the fact that Easy had guaranteed a refund to all pax delayed over 4 or 6 hours I can't remember. This was their own choice and not a legal requirement To my knowledge this has been quietly withdrawn as too expensive, but, I stand to be corrected.

Legally if you've booked on a Charter you have a contract to be transported (Note not flown) from A-B. If they stuck you on a coach all the way the have fulfilled their end of the contract.

As for Scheduled / Lo Cost. You are contracted to to fly on that Flight No: So if it's delayed then they have to give you nothing. However if i'ts cancelled the they have to give you your money back and thats it.

If they go bust you'll have to join the long list of creditors to get your money back.

I hope that helps

MikeSierra
28th Jun 2002, 15:00
Thanx for the info, that's what I was looking for!!

MS

GrahamK
28th Jun 2002, 16:58
Last year we got a 4 .5 hour delay at NCL (reduced to 3) with Airtours because of the Balearics coach strike. We recieved a £5 food voucher each, which was quickly used up :D
Were Airtours inclined to do this?

jmc757
28th Jun 2002, 17:19
I had a five hour delay with Airtours last year at BHX and only got £3 refreshment vouchers! the extra £2 you had would have been nice!!!
I thought that charter airlines were obliged to feed/water you after a certain time (maybe 4 hrs?) and a full meal after about 6 hours, although i stand to be corrected! i think they only need provide hotel accommodation if it is night/evening time.

Desk Driver
29th Jun 2002, 18:53
Generally It's not the Airline thats feeding you. It's the Tour ops.
Airlines only pay out if it's a Tech or Operational. Otherwise every cost is passed down to the Tour Operator.

If anyone wants to make a bundle open a shop in LGW's South Term and sell baby food nappies etc!

BryanC123
29th Jun 2002, 19:18
My understanding of the situation is that it depends who you travel with. If it is a low cost carrier such as Easyjet, go etc then you are not intitled to anything as one of the reasons they are a low cost carrier is because they do not have these overheads. If it is BA , BMI etc then they will look at giving you refresh vouchers usually after 2hours(£3) and then 4(£5) and so on. If it is charter then they will usually work under same policy. You can then claim money from your travel insurance for particularly long delays where extra costs are incurred.

End of the day everyone is different...........

no sig
29th Jun 2002, 21:15
MikeSierra

easyJet will normally refund a passenger the fare for a flight and still fly you to your destination when the delay is over four hours and is as a result of the failing of the airline (see their website for details) if the delay is outside of the airlines control e.g. French ATC on strike then the policy maybe withdrawn for that event.

They have no contractual obligation, but Stelios has always been of the opinion that 4 hours was/ is the limit and basically, it's only fair - we didn't deliver. Light Refreshment Vouchers are normally issued after 3 hours or so and as time passes more follow, a discretionary compensation that most airlines follow.

Sorry for the delay you experinced at LTN, but it happens. The lack of information may have an explanation, e.g. if it was on one of the recent European Strike days then no one knew when we were going to get the flight away, on the other hand it may have been a technical problem which required engineers to fix the a/c.

Hotel accomodation is sometimes made available according to the circumstances and availability, easy offer a hotel credit where appropriate.

Hope that helps.