PDA

View Full Version : Tiger SYD-BNE-SYD flights cancelled Friday.

C441
27th May 2016, 01:25
Friends at Brisbane airport have been waiting for a while to travel to Sydney on Tiger this morning. They have just been told Tiger have cancelled all flights between the two ports today. They've been given a refund but now have to pay substantially more to get to Sydney today and back Sunday.

I know it's one of those crappy westerly days in Sydney but I can't imagine an airline would cancel SYD-BNE-SYD flights because of that.

Any other info?

underfire
27th May 2016, 02:16
Usually, these routes get combined and hopped from other airports as well. There were some delays at MEL due to runway lights, and perhaps the crew went over hours.

I have had flights cancelled due to over hours on the crews when there are delays.

Stanwell
27th May 2016, 02:36
That's strange. Rwy 25 has not been unduly busy at all.
YSSY observations as at 1231:
Wind: W/WSW - 25kts, gusting to 27.

Di_Vosh
27th May 2016, 02:43
Some services (QF) cancelled out of Mel, due strong westerlies.

DIVOSH!

wheels_down
27th May 2016, 02:45
Tiger are still running another three flights today but there all full.

I think your friends C441 were told porkies, the ground handling agent is Aerocare so that lines up well with the incorrect info....

C441
27th May 2016, 04:32
Thanks all.
They've rebooked (at significantly greater cost x 4 pax) on an early Virgin flight tomorrow morning. Accommodation in Sydney down the tube but still less cost than other flight alternatives today.

morno
27th May 2016, 04:36
COBT issues for all airlines I believe, due to only operating on RWY25.

50min or greater start delays in Sydney.

Don't blame Tiger, they don't control the weather.

morno

Watchdog
27th May 2016, 05:01
Are you kidding about not much activity onto RWY 25? Massive delays in an out of SYD all day!
Why on earth SYD ATC go to RWY 25 only with 20 knots X/W on the parallels?.

Stanwell
27th May 2016, 06:47
Watchdog,
I didn't say 'not much activity' on 25, I said that it (at 1230) hadn't seemed 'unduly busy'.
From where I am, unfortunately I can only go by the frequency of arrivals.
I note that, around 1300, the wind was from 270 and gusting up to 38kts.

Tankengine
27th May 2016, 06:53
At one stage during our hour plus COBT delay for start today there was a report of 24 aircraft waiting to depart from RWY25.

joblogs
28th May 2016, 11:35
Really stanwell Sydney westerly wind above 20 kts. Single runway ops. " no delays" or cancelations.2 Hr Cobt delay. For a 10 am departure to syd .

sunnySA
5th Jun 2016, 10:15
Watchgod
Why on earth SYD ATC go to RWY 25 only with 20 knots X/W on the parallels?.

Sometimes the decision is made on the basis of the forecast, reported upper winds, typically 500ft or 1000ft and input from Sydney Airport Met Unit (SAMU). Many a time the wind out on the bay is the determine factor (and the winds along 25 are not as strong).

Of course, this was all less of an issue when MAX 25 knots was the runway selection criteria. Now its 20 knots and this change from 25 knots to 20 knots was driven partly by an industrial campaign.

A "managed change" is preferable to an "immediate change". An immediate change to 25 only when a large number of RWY 34R departures are "caught" south of RWY 25 is not a pretty sight.