PDA

View Full Version : vivid by nvfr

outlandishoutlanding
26th May 2016, 12:38
With the early dark evenings, light shows in Sydney, and my newly (well, it's a month old now) NVFR rating, I was considering trying a new experience - seeing Vivid from the air. Is it difficult to get a clearance at 2100ft to do an orbit or two over the harbour? (ie equivalent of HS1 but at 2100ft).

Should I ask for the clearance on the ground at Bankstown, or attempt to get a clearance once I'm airborne?

gerry111
26th May 2016, 13:15
My understanding (from a very long time ago) was that both the standard Harbour Scenics were in Syd Class C at 1500' AMSL only.

I rather doubt that you'd be cleared to 2100' Please refer current: ERSA SYDNEY (Kingsford Smith) which may explain it all to you.

Perhaps also read particularly the warning to submit flight notification before your flight to minimise delays?

And obviously.. If you're inexperienced, perhaps try it in daylight first?

P.S. I drove over Sydney Harbour Bridge last night and there's not much happening with the VIVID lighting just yet..

outlandishoutlanding
26th May 2016, 13:27
I've done the harbour scenic during daylight.

Also, Vivid starts this weekend.

skkm
26th May 2016, 13:28
I've tried it before NVFR - as you surmised it's the same process as for the normal harbour scenic but at 2100'. Due to other aircraft already doing the orbits I was denied clearance. They gave me tracking from Manly back to YSBK via direct Parramatta though, which still gave a decent view on the way past. Definitely worth putting in a flight notification to improve your chances of getting the clearance.

Ultralights
27th May 2016, 04:08
instead of tracking back to YSBK direct via Parramatta, if, its after the time of the curfuew, ask for a track via YSSY then YSBK...

Sydney at Night with a NVFR is awesome

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-w7tkJ3D/0/X3/i-w7tkJ3D-X3.jpg

Oh, and take a good low light camera.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-LjvQRKt/0/X3/i-LjvQRKt-X3.jpg

mustafagander
27th May 2016, 11:08
If ever you want a clearance for anything like this, pick up the phone a few days prior and talk to the air traffickers. That way you know what's possible and, importantly, what's not possible.

I do the same when I want a clearance through a restricted area, ask whether my proposed times will work and if not a compromise can usually be worked out. Your phone is your best friend!!

On Track
27th May 2016, 11:34
In years past I did many Sydney harbour scenics -- by day and by night -- but haven't done one for quite a long time.

Occasionally I had to hold at Long Reef because of other traffic over the harbour, but the only times I was denied a clearance were (a) when my transponder was playing up and ATC couldn't identify me, and (b) when Sydney airport was using runways 34L and 34R during the evening peak period.

There never seemed to be a problem when 16L and 16R were in use.