PDA

View Full Version : Air safari Brisbane to Broome

Todka
25th May 2016, 00:44
Hello,

Apologies if this is the right forum to ask. I believe there are individuals here that could really help out. Otherwise suggest a better place to ask thanks.

I'm planning a trip with a friend from Brisbane to Broome with an open mind as to route and stops. The purpose is to enjoy the flying and enjoy the stops.
I've done a fair bit of W.A. by 4wd on the ground but never flown this region, nor NT or remote QLD and expect that fuel and ground transport will be limiting issues.

Planned trip length is 2-3 weeks in a 4 place Piper Pacer.

I'm seeking suggestions for route, stops and anything helpful.
The plan is in it's infancy apart from starting in Aug 2017 and allowing a few weeks travel time. Links to any resources would be appreciated.

Any aerial and ground photography opportunities would be highly desired.
I'll pay back information by posting up some pictures for those who can wait a long time to see them. :)

Thanks in advance.
Todka.

Flying Ted
25th May 2016, 12:58
I flew Melbourne to Broome a few years back taking 4 weeks. A great trip.

Places I'd suggest would be Ayers Rock, Kings Cayon, Bungles, Kununurra, Emma Gorge, Mitchell Plateau and Cape Levee. Fly over the horizontal waterfalls and Buccaneer Archipelago highly recommended.

You'll have fun!

Happy to provide more info on accommodation and ground transport arrangements that I used.

Todka
26th May 2016, 05:54
Thanks Ted. Yes love to hear specifics on ground transport especially and how you got from airfields to accomodation.
I've been to Bungles and Cape Levique by road and know they have airfields close to the destination. Cape Levique is actually at the location which is great. Bungles I guess if you stay with the glamping accommodation they could do a pickup.

Appreciate the information. Cheers.

Flying Ted
26th May 2016, 08:36
OK here is some more detail.

King's Canyon. We stayed at King's Station and it has a landing strip. We were luckily enough to meet someone who was happy to give us a lift to the Canyon

Bungles. You guess it. We went Glamping and signed up for the ground tour. You need to organise permission to land well in advance.

Kununurra. Hire car and the local pub.

Emma Gorge. Glamping again and they have an airstrip.

Mitchell Plateau. Glamping, yet again and a helo ride into the falls. If you only do one Glamping on the trip this is the one. Otherwise its a long walk into the falls.

Windjara Gorge. Camping (we packed a tent) and the ranger was happy to pick us from the airstrip. Highly recommended.

Cape Leveque. You land in the camping ground and rent a tent.

Broome. Taxis and buses.

Its a great trip

Awol57
26th May 2016, 08:58
El Questro may be an option for you rather than Emma Gorge if you are happy to camp. The airstrip would be a 10 minute walk to the camp area (slightly further to reception, maybe 15 mins) and you can do pretty well all of the tours there.

Otherwise glamping at Emma Gorge :)

Duck Pilot
26th May 2016, 22:01
Emma Gorge, great little resort. They have an airstrip on the side of the Gibb River road. Home Valley is also worth considering as well. If you want the full monty, just keep head NW and you will end up at Kalumburu. Great fishing and there is a few war wrecks at Kalumburu, I think they have a guest house up there.

Todka
27th May 2016, 00:48
Thanks Ted, Awol, Duck.

Looks like the air trip planning won't be too dissimilar to when I did the road trip with the complication of adding in ground transport.

Any issues with finding fuel? I presume calling ahead is necessary at most of these locations?

And keen for tips on stops and destinations for the QLD and NT sections of the journey.

Most of my navigational flying has been between Sydney and Melbourne. Apart from remote 4WD experience, I am unfamiliar with remote flying.

Usually I just fly aerobatics out of Camden, Sydney.

Cheers.

Todka
27th May 2016, 00:54
Thanks for the tip on Kalumburu Duck. I've never hear of it before. A little north of what I was thinking but will look into it. Certainly has a large strip looking at google maps.

Flying Ted
27th May 2016, 06:53
Hi Todka,

Fuel planning is definitely something you will need to look into. I had a C182 with 6hours endurance so it wasn't a major issue but still an issue. I always ring a head to confirm fuel availability. I also carried a sat phone (handy to cancel SARs and as a comfort), water, food and first aid. Navigation isn't too difficult with a GPS and maps.

There is some smug satisfaction arriving at the Glamps hours ahead of bus hoards relaxing in the bar with a G&T and then arriving late for breakfast the next morning. No hours on the bumpy road for us flyers!

hillbillybob
27th May 2016, 07:16
There is accommodation at Kalumburu at the mission and I am unsure about other options, there is generally also fuel available there but it is expensive.

The strip is great, just watch out for the hill to the north

mullokintyre
27th May 2016, 07:45
Options from Brisbane. Cobold gorge near richmond. Great tour. ADels Grove lawn hill national park.
Other options are Noccundra hotel. In Kimberly havea look at Drysdale river station.
If you want to travel Alice springs , call in to Tillmouth Wells can get fuel there.
Mick

Capt Fathom
28th May 2016, 03:10
Navigation isn't too difficult with a GPS and maps.
Now that is funny! :D

Todka
28th May 2016, 05:02
Thanks gents.

compressor stall
28th May 2016, 08:56
Mrs Stall and I did a similar trip for our honeymoon. We had a tent, sleeping bags and small stove.
Transport from airstrip and on ground can be limiting, but not always.

We arrived at El Questro and camped in campground. The next day we walked to Champagne Springs (about 40 mins each way) and had the entire waterhole to ourselves all day.

That night we were chatting to the grey nomads who were complaining that all the ELQ waterholes were so crowded - they've all paid $100k for the White V8 land cruiser expecting that it can take them somewhere to avoid the crowds.

Mount Elizabeth was good too, the manager might drop you off for the day at the swimming hole about 20 mins drive away.

Other places - Adels Grove has a good bar and canoe tours through the limestone

Cape Crawford pub. Great mini bungles nearby.

Not sure if Victoira river roadhouse still has an airstrip, but the flight for 30nm south along (or in 😷) the gorge (towards VRD) is awesome.

Timber Creek is not like its heyday, but you might be able to arrange a pickup from the airstrip and stay at the pub. They do a great river cruise and boat tour looking at the crocs.
Grab a copy of the country airfield guide. That has lots of info and contacts. Google earth is good too for finding remote strips.

compressor stall
28th May 2016, 09:19
And an afterthought, if possible May / June is nicer than August. Cooler, greener and warmer waterholes.

mcgrath50
30th May 2016, 01:41
Fuel in the Kimberley is pretty scarce.

Kunners, Halls Creek, Derby and Broome all have fuel. HC, Derby and Broome have a pretty consistent fuel price, and I'd imagine Kunners would be about the same but I haven't been there much to notice. If you can plan your trip to stop in here (bathroom breaks and fuel is all that's really needed at these destinations, asides from Broome) you'll save yourself some dosh. Kalumbaru has fuel but it's over twice the price of Broome/Derby. The other places listed don't have fuel available as a general rule. Might be able to pinch some Avgas from the helicopter guys at the bungles, but again will probably be expensive as.

Ring some of the scenic flight operators in the area before going to these places. Aviar or Shoal for the Bungles. King Leo's, Horizontal Seaplanes or Kimberley Av for the Horizontal Falls and Cape Leveque. They'll be happy to give you a run down of what goes on in these spots. It can get busy during the dry season and everyone has a pretty similar way of tackling things. Will make your life and theirs easier if you are in the know :)

Todka
31st May 2016, 12:57
Thanks Compressor and mcgrath. Good information.
Due to work commitments for the other pilot on the trip, August is the soonest we can get away.
I will look into all these points. Much appreciated.

mcgrath50
1st Jun 2016, 04:33
Thanks Compressor and mcgrath. Good information.
Due to work commitments for the other pilot on the trip, August is the soonest we can get away.
I will look into all these points. Much appreciated.

Pretty sure the Broome races are still on in August, a great afternoon out! Possibly the rodeo is on then too (moves through Halls->Fitzroy->Derby->Broome from memory). Worth a look!