PDA

View Full Version : Carry-on Baggage Charges ...

ExXB
24th May 2016, 09:27
In a letter to the NYTs yesterday the writer suggests that the airlines reverse their charges for baggage. i.e. To charge passengers for carry-on but allow checked baggage (a reasonable amount) to travel without an extra charge. Anything bigger than a (small) handbag would get charged.

Intriguing thought. Those that insist on carry-on only (who are likely less price-sensitive) pay for their needs while those looking for the cheapest price have an option that would facilitate security processes. Depending on the mix this could be revenue neutral.

Of course governments are no longer in the business of regulating pricing issues at airlines so it would be difficult to impose this on the airlines. I wonder if any of the network airlines would be willing to test this ...

farci
25th May 2016, 15:57
I think this suggestion relates to a possible solution for the predicted nightmarish TSA lines this summer.

Well analysed in The Economist (http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2016/05/long-wait?fsrc=rss)

ExXB
25th May 2016, 16:17
No doubt, but it struck me as being "a very good idea" (tm) to reduce the slings and arrows of outrageous flying. Just about everywhere.

Of course airlines won't let you put everything into checked bags (valuables, Li-Io batteries)

PAXboy
25th May 2016, 18:42
So, who's going to ask the LCCs to reverse 25+ years of established (and profitable) practise ...?

ExXB
26th May 2016, 11:55
No doubt, PAXboy, if the LCCs ever charge for carry-on it will be in addition to the charge for checked. (And some do in the states, I think)

Jarvy
26th May 2016, 12:35
South West allows you to check in 2 bags for free and the there is a marked reduction in cabin baggage. Its not only the LCCs that charge for check in baggage, nearly all airlines do!

Mark in CA
27th May 2016, 13:48
Several of the commenters of that article note that at airports where Southwest is predominant, security lines aren't any shorter.

ExXB
27th May 2016, 15:43
Mark, I'd guess the question is, if an airline charged for carry on , but not for checked, if some punters would be encouraged to put much of their stuff in the hold.

Also observed that most (many) frequent fliers are not charged for baggage due to their status and/or credit card. And they still are reluctant to check a bag.

Out Of Trim
1st Jun 2016, 18:37
There are plenty of Airport Ground Staff that have already suggested this policy. Many flights are being dispatched with more cabin bags having to be loaded in the hold than were check-in in the first place; due to not enough cabin locker space to accommodate them all!

This would speed up the boarding process and improve on time performance.

In Europe, I believe the airline Whizz already operate this way. :ok:

PAXboy
1st Jun 2016, 21:30
If you give humans an incentive towards one kind of behaviour - in this case to carry on luggage. They will usually continue until the pendulum has swung so far that you have to reverse the incentive ... Nothing new under the sun.

Piltdown Man
2nd Jun 2016, 10:55
I like the idea. Big bags in the hold, small ones in the cabin. Safer, quicker boarding and the passenger has the choice.

PM

RAT 5
7th Jun 2016, 19:34
Its not only the LCCs that charge for check in baggage, nearly all airlines do!

The latter do so because the former started it and did not see a top off in pax figures: = more profit.

Many flights are being dispatched with more cabin bags having to be loaded in the hold than were check-in in the first place; due to not enough cabin locker space to accommodate them all!

The original concept was to reduce costs or increase profits. Same effect. It was sold on the basis of 'pay for what you get, and don't pay for what you don't need.' The idea was that so many LoCo pax were travelling for such a short time that cabin luggage would suffice. Great until 189 pax turn up with the standard bag and they don't all fit. (149 max) The last ones are loaded in the hold for free. Cue whinging pax who paid. Cue whinging pax who have to wait for luggage. Great idea that evolved problems.
What we never learnt was the cost to the airline for 20 bags or 50 bags. Do the handlers charge per bag, per trolley? What? It takes 1 crew to load 10 bags or 100 bags. The difference is time not personnel. The reason some LoCo's use only one hold is cost; it's only 1 crew. Others load both holds = 2 crews. I assume more expensive??
What is the most irritating & frustrating issue is the different cabin bag sizes. OMG. And they keep changing. 5cm here & 5cm there from different dimensions. And none of them are standard ICAO recommended sizes; AND they fly the same aircraft. PLEASE! It's supposed to be a customer service industry. It's time the customer took it back. The pettiness of differing cabin bag sizes by 5cm is childish, and the ridicule at the gate from the baggage police is absurd. If it was a restaurant you would never go again, no matter how cheap it was. Why do people want to be stressed out and embarrassed? To see OAP's treated like school children by youngsters young enough to be their grand-children is sickening.
Let the revolt begin.

ExXB
7th Jun 2016, 21:10
RAT 5,
At one time an airline organisation set standard baggage sizes and excess charges. They even had immunity (exemptions and authorisations) from competition laws that allowed them to do so. All members applied the standards as did the regional and charter airlines.

Then a bunch of competition authorities concluded that having a single standard hurt the consumer so they began removing the immunity, exemptions and authorisations. Now we have a competitive market where each airline sets its own standards and charges. Are consumers better off?

You tell me.

Helol
11th Jun 2016, 12:12
I have 30kg checked baggage allowance, and 7kg cabin baggage for upcoming trip.

My check-in bag only weighs 14kg, whilst I am struggling to fit my camera/lens/ binoculars into the 7kg limit, althoug I have just about managed it. I just wish I could feel comfortable enough to check in expensive equipment, but I don't. My cabin bag is small, well within the limit. I'm not wearing a jacket/coat, so can't 'stuff' things into my pockets, and even if I could, being a 5ft woman, i'd look a bit strange with pockets bulging all over the place.

Returning (with a different airline), I will have 23kg, and 8kg.

Hotel Tango
11th Jun 2016, 15:30
I believe that a camera is additional to the cabin baggage allowance, as are binoculars and a few other odds and ends. Worse case scenario is that you take them out for the weigh in and then put them back in after. Whether your carry on gets weighed depends very much on the airline and/or handling agents. Generally, if the bag doesn't look too big and it isn't a roller, they won't weigh it. But that is not 100% guaranteed, especially if the check-in agent is new or under training.

Pontius Navigator
11th Jun 2016, 15:49
Hotel Tango, on one trip my jacket weighed in at 10kg :)

But admit on our carrier we get 10kg carry on and with careful packing can manage a 14 day holiday. We just love the 'arrive, walk out, catch bus' and on our way a good 30-45 minutes quicker and then only one bag to manage.

Helol
11th Jun 2016, 16:21
HT, it's Emirates, and their website specifically states one item of baggage only, and I understand that includes ladies handbags too. However my handbag is only approx 8" x 8", and having read various forums, its seems most women have no problem - providing of course, they aren't the type of 'handbags' that can carry the kitchen sink!

Since posting earlier today, I found an old plastic rain mac, with huge pockets, so I'm putting it on! It's a bit big, but once through I can take the mac off, and fold it away.

The bag definitely doesn't look too big, it's even been placed under the seat before, so that shouldn't be a problem.

If I was travelling wiht my other half, it wouldn't be a problem, in fact we would be well under, however going solo it's a bit more problematic. I too can travel easily with cabin baggage, but on this occasion, going to Africa, I need my binocs/camera stuff.