PDA

View Full Version : Mustang replica does its second belly landing at DPO.

Eastwest Loco
23rd May 2016, 13:47
For a second time a Mustang replica has closed DPO after a gear failure last Saturday.

Thankfully pilot OK.

The aeroplane is I think 75% scale P51 rep registered VH-ZYC.

The gear appears to have collapsed on landing or not deployed.

Great in theory but do these "home builds" need more regulation? QF link had a substantial delay to departure ex MEL as a consequence.

Is the "home build" industry running under the radar with standards regulation?

This is the second wheels up for this aeroplane. One you can accept but with two one does wonder if the aeroplane's systems are up to scratch and if if it should be costing commercial Airlines dollars in delays.

Delightful looking aeroplane though.

My Dad used to build the real ones out of crates at Fisherman's Bend in Melbourne during WWII.

Best all

EWL

Squawk7700
23rd May 2016, 21:05
Of course a certified factory built aircraft has never had a wheels up landing before.

Ixixly
23rd May 2016, 21:19
EWL, just to clarify, is this the second time this particular aircraft has had a wheels up landing, or the second time a Mustang Replica has closed DPO due to a gear failure?

Squawk7700 has a valid point, plenty of other Aircraft Types out there that have had Wheels Up Landings, I'd be keen to know what is in place with these Mustang Replicas to warn the Pilot when the gear is not deployed on landing and what is required of it as a Home Build in regards to a gear warning system?

fujii
23rd May 2016, 21:32
Leaping to the conclusion that the wheels up was because it was a homebuilt is a bit early. It may have been the nut attached to the control column.

TBM-Legend
24th May 2016, 00:00
Many a Cessna/Piper or the like have scratched their belly on the tarmac EWL...

Jabawocky
24th May 2016, 00:37
Many a Cessna/Piper or the like have scratched their belly on the tarmac EWL...

And Mooneys Yak's and so on…… And some of them more than once!

EWL has just had a frustration moment, he normally thinks things through much more carefully.

tail wheel
24th May 2016, 01:01
Category: | The Mercury (http://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/pilot-unhurt-in-light-plane-crash-at-devonport-airport/news-story/9b889543efcf355adfc69a329bb414fe)

Photo:

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/3920821/crash-landing-closes-airport-runway/

Date: 21-MAY-2016
Time: 03:00 p.m.
Type: Jurca MJ-77 Gnatsum
Owner/operator: Private
C/n / msn: JJH4
Fatalities: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 1

spinex
24th May 2016, 02:33
Assuming the report is accurate - I know brave move, I do wonder what Plod was "investigating" for several hours that couldn't have been done in a nearby hangar? A little like the current obsession with measuring and photographing every road accident to the n'th degree instead of clearing the bloody road, the victims are just as hurt/dead and meanwhile you cost the economy another few million in lost productivity, doesn't exactly stack up on a cost-benefit analysis. Air Crash Investigations and the like have a lot to answer for imo.

flywatcher
24th May 2016, 08:04
The aircraft could have been off the runway in 25 minutes except for fire engines parked everywhere, the local police taking statements from the propellor, the tarmac and the gable markers. Then waiting for the forensic photographer to finally arrive and set up his tripod three hundred metres down the runaway and carefully document everything that moved and everything that didn't. After all that the local lame lifted it with a forklift, put the gear down and had it back in the shed in fifteen minutes.

NowThatsFunny
24th May 2016, 08:47
Owned by John Holmes.

Parents must have warn out some VHS/BETA tapes.
chuckle chuckle

RegoSearch | VH-ZYC Australian Aircraft Registration Details (http://www.regosearch.com/aircraft/au/ZYC)

Capn Bloggs
24th May 2016, 12:03
Parents must have warn out some VHS/BETA tapes.

Who made them?! ;)

PDR1
24th May 2016, 12:23
May I suggest the OP might more accurately direct his vent at the local police farce who seem to have been intent on turning this minor whoopsie into a full-blown defcon-1 crisis?

I'm surprised they hadn't alerted Marine-1 to extract the president...

:)

PDR

CharlieLimaX-Ray
24th May 2016, 22:48
Neat looking piece of kit, hopefully back up and flying soon.
Anyway know what sought of engine used?

If that happened in the day's of EWL running is beloved F28's through Pardoe International, he would jumped in the Datsun Z car and raced out and towed the smouldering wreck of the runway, probably with the pilot still attached.

Biggest thing to happen at Devonport since the old Ansett Fokker F27 had an engine fire on startup.

Squawk7700
24th May 2016, 23:18
Anyway know what sought of engine used?

Pretty much a 6 litre Gen III Holden V8 unless I'm mistaken.

LQ9 model.

Vortec Max LQ9

Marketed as the Vortec HO 6000 and later as the VortecMax, the LQ9 was a higher output version of the LQ4. Specially designed for the Cadillac line, the engine found it’s way into GM’s truck line as the VortexMax in 2006. The LQ9 featured a bigger cam and higher compression flat top pistons for an extra 10 horses and 10 lb-ft output over the LQ4. Like it’s predecessor, the LQ9 is a highly valued engine for budget rebuilds of stock engines that can be pushed to a higher horsepower level.

Displacement: 364ci
•Block: Cast Iron
•Heads: Cast Aluminum 15-degree cathedral port
•Compression: 10:1
•Bore & Stroke: 4.000” x 3.622”
•Specs: Rated at 345 hp and 380 ft·lb from the factory.
•Where to look: 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Cadillac Escalade EXT, 2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV, 2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado SS, 2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra (Vortec HO Edition only), 2006-2007 Classic Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra VortecMax Option.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
25th May 2016, 00:56
Thanks Squawk 7700.

LeadSled
25th May 2016, 02:30
Great in theory but do these "home builds" need more regulation?

Yep!! You've got it, more regulation, that's the "Australian" answer to everything.

As we all know, and as is internationally recognized**, aviation is Australia is seriously under-regulated, and would "obviously" benefit from increased "more appropriate" regulation.

What's wrong with a "simple" and "plain English" regulation to make accidents and incidents an unlawful absolute (no mamby pamby strict liability) liability offense.

Problem solved ???? What could go wrong ????

Tootle pip!!

** Surely that must be the obvious reason out ICAO/FAA audit results are so dismal.

PLovett
25th May 2016, 10:26
Biggest thing to happen at Devonport since the old Ansett Fokker F27 had an engine fire on startup.

Nah, Kendell managed to run off the runway with a Saab there. One prop went to reverse and the other didn't. An awkward moment followed involving a ditch.

VH-EKT (https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/1992/aair/aair199201222/)

CharlieLimaX-Ray
28th May 2016, 06:54
Thanks for the PLovett, only two words to describe that accident nasty and lucky!

Duck Pilot
28th May 2016, 20:55
If the Qlink delay/s were significant enough to cause grief, why didn't they divert the flights into BWT or LST and bus the effect pax to and from these ports?

In terms of an aircraft blocking a runway as a result of an accident, that something that all operators should take into consideration when operating into single runway aerodromes. It could/and does happen anywhere from time to time.

Thumbs up to the police! They are only doing their job.

mcoates
30th May 2016, 09:43
I'd be keen to know what is in place with these Mustang Replicas to warn the Pilot when the gear is not deployed on landing.......

Usually a scraping sound is enough.... sometimes with a thump, thump, thump sound also

gerry111
30th May 2016, 09:57
"I'd be keen to know what is in place with these Mustang Replicas to warn the Pilot when the gear is not deployed on landing......."

I'd be thinking of a PUFF check on short finals.

PDR1
30th May 2016, 10:10
I'd be keen to know what is in place with these Mustang Replicas to warn the Pilot when the gear is not deployed on landing.......

The certification requirements are essentially the same (in most countries) whether it's a commercial build or an "experimental" home build. It needs a warning device which alerts the driver when the gear selector is in the down position but the downlock isn't in position (be it geometric or physical), and a similar one for when the selector is in the up position and the uplock isn't in permission.

I have to say the sneering tone of many of these posts isn't very becoming. Everyone shares airports and runways - if you want a higher guarantee of runway availability for a commercial operation perhaps you should only operate from airports with multiple runways.

PDR

Squawk7700
30th May 2016, 10:38
Pretty sure that I read earlier in this thread that the wheels collapsed AFTER the aircraft landed...

fujii
30th May 2016, 10:44
From the OP.

aroa
30th May 2016, 11:01
In every bird with retracts there should be a warning device in the pilot's head at activates on short finals...
Rich. Fine. Green-Down LAST CHANCE.

Capt Fathom
30th May 2016, 11:58
So which one is it?

fujii
30th May 2016, 12:08
Don't know, I was just answering Squawk7700's post.

PDR1
30th May 2016, 12:30
As we all know, no certified aeroplane which is equipped with a gear warning horn and sets of green-red-green gear position lights has EVER landed gear-up or had gear collapse after touchdown...

:hmm::hmm:

PDR

haughtney1
30th May 2016, 12:49
Yep, those gear horns solve the problem alright.....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mle7DxDgQfg

gerry111
30th May 2016, 13:21
Aroa,

The PUFF checks that I mentioned are:

Pitch: Is full fine.
Undercarriage: Is identified and down.
Flaps (Wing): Are set for landing.
Flaps (Cowl): Are open for any go around.

If the pilot in the C182RG had called that on short finals, he'd have saved himself a lot. :)

lexxie747
30th May 2016, 13:27
is it also a 75% gear up landing?, just wondering if it is a P38,25?

megan
30th May 2016, 14:16
The tail wheel is extended, that should mean something.