PDA

View Full Version : SPH 5 vs HGU-56

rotorboy
28th Jun 2002, 02:19
Can anyone tell me the main differences between the Gentex sph5+ and the HGU 56. Is it worth upgrading to the hgu 56. The only visible difference is the shape around the ear cups..

are there any advantages?

has anyone any experience with the Gallet flight helmets?

Also anyone have any feedback on the Gentex ANR unit you can purchase for the SHP5 or the HGU 56

Thanks

RB

almost canadian
28th Jun 2002, 02:29
Buy an ALPHA helmet, doesn't get much better than that, they also offer an excellent ANR system,
just my 2 cents...
Cheers

Steve76
29th Jun 2002, 00:05
Gidday AlmostCanuk!

I concur, Alpha are really good. If only ARAI would get into the market......

Have not tried a Gallet but that would be my next option.

S76 :cool:

volpe
30th Jun 2002, 01:48
S76 - Hey broet. They tell me buying secondhand alphas is better than the short term money market....yeah? :cool:

heedm
30th Jun 2002, 02:33
56 is lighter.

Supposedly it offers better protection, noise reduction, chemical ablative, radar absorptive, etc. That's just glossy brochure stuff, I can't confirm it. Definitely is lighter, though.

Harpooner
2nd Jul 2002, 22:42
The answer to your question depends on what you want from a Helmet. I had to trial them all when working on a big NVG project in the US for the Navy; Suffice to say if you want a good helmet it must be adjustible and fitted to your swede, not by the use of pads as they are not able to increase pressure as you wear it in. Gallet make a lightweight helmet (CGF 150-250 series) but with NVG strapped on they shift around unless clamped on 'over- tightly' not good for longer flights.

Alpha (200 series) are a lot lighter than the ones in use by the UK MOD (mk 4b4 etc) but they are just as crashworthy and seem to be ideal for most Rotary applications. We trialled a 200 with a waterproof loom and a fitted Wireless (polycom) radio, not rocket science but as state of the art as a helicopter pilot should want in a helmet. ANR and a few other options also make it more attractive. The UK Hawk fast jet trainers use it and call it a mark 10. Helmets at Shoreham sell it.

The Gentex is good as is the HGU, in fact as many pro's as there are cons. on our SAR suitability trial previous US mil pilots had an affection for their own country's product. As we did ours!

Alpha are Uk made, Gallett French and the others US, if 'most suitable' equipment came before national job protection ...........

..........but it rarely does! If you are going to shell out $1500/£900 on a helmet identify what you want from it before you pop out to the shops! If you will need to NVG it at sometime in the future you must go for a Helmet with tensioner straps.