PDA

View Full Version : 0 - 1500h enough ?

Rachael Abiodun
21st May 2016, 11:28
Hiya

I'm currently a 21 y/o Law student in the UK, but have been suffering terribly due to depression and overall disillusionment which ended up turning me from a Excellent student to a virtual failure. Now, I never chose to get to this point I never really knew what I wanted to do, so always went with w what at the time (what my parents wanted) I recently distant myself from everything university related.

Now I've decided I want to be a pilot and I've been looking at my options
I understand the competition is stiff and a degree is advised but I honestly don't think I can go back to university the idea makes me well up my mental health suffered so much. However, as you all know their a reality I won't get a job after getting my ATLP

The flying academy in Florida, US offers a 0-1500 hours for £41,000 which basically is full EASA flight training gaining an FI followed by + 2 employment as instructor which allows for all the time building.

So my questions are

1. Am I worry to much about the degree side of things should I just do the 0- ATPL 300 hour course the academy offers and be able to get a job on my arrive back to the UK?

2. Will 1500 hour even help or does a degree holder still have the advantage on me on this

3 should I just finish university and then do my course ?

RedBullGaveMeWings
21st May 2016, 23:49
In Europe you don't need a degree to get a job as a pilot, it is not requested by any airline I am aware of.
I don't get your second question. As I said, no degree is required in Europe. In the US it is just a general requirement of the majors, regardless of the field of study. In Europe it really doesn't make much of a difference.

As for the third question, it's really up to you – if you don't feel good about it then just don't waste time, energy and money on it.
I was studying finance at university and I really enjoyed it, but I realized it isn't something I want to do for a living. Flying is what I love and I can have a financial education on my own, which is something I am accomplishing in my free time.

Do what you really like, but you have to accept all the potential risks associated.

paco
22nd May 2016, 05:36
Learn to follow your gut feeling, and don't overthink things. One thing to ponder - are you fed up with university or what your parents wanted? :) Maybe chaning the subject of the degree might help?

parkfell
22nd May 2016, 06:09
The pressure from your parents requires action. You must sit down with them & explain exactly what adverse impact it is having on you.

The reaction that you get might be quite revealing about their character.

Clearly the course is not for you. I am however very concerned about your mental health. You need to seek professional help without delay. If you are diagnosed with clinical depression then you must disclose it when applying for any aviation medical. All too topical at the moment.

When did you start to become interested in flying?

LTCTerry
25th May 2016, 07:44
Rachael,

Psychologists advise people after a divorce to be very careful about dating. After a miserable experience, anything seems better than imaginable. This happiness causes people to marry an unsuitable partner. A decision made while still within the dark cloud of unhappiness doesn't work well.

You are unhappy with life at the moment. Do something that is safe, simple, and mind-clearing. Get a job for a year and work hard. Save every penny so you can experience the life of a broke flight instructor in advance. But...

Go join a gliding club. You will learn to fly. The days spent outdoors doing physical work in fresh air and sunshine will do wonders for your disposition. You will meet new like-minded people. In a year you will be a new person.

Have you read the details about the 0-1500 hour programs? I'm guessing this is really 0-250 hours, then you instruct for $10/hour for the next two years. It might even be FAA certificates that later get converted to EASA ones along the way (Just guessing here, too.)

Flying is an incredible activity. It's art and science rolled into one 3D experience that very few get to achieve. Whether you end up flying for a hobby or a career, it will put you in a unique group of men and women. Please, take care of yourself first!

PM if you like.

PS Both of my kids graduated from university a couple weeks ago. Like most of the people here that makes me your parents age. For one of my kids, getting to graduation was a breeze. It was a harder, longer process for the other one. I've discovered that most teenagers seem to trust/respect the advice of any "seasoned" adult but their own parents...